Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    Thanks for sharing the tweet. Congratulations, John!
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    Delighted for him!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    Maybe they should for the occasion, rechristian it "Koke Klassic"!

vCash
    I was just looking on the website for the torch relay and whilst I was checking the torch bearers for June 13th (I'm a teacher and my class are involved in the torch celebrations in Broxburn, West Lothian) I noticed that Tatiana Navka is listed as a torch bearer for Larbert, a small town in Central Scotland. It's also on June 13th, before the torch reaches us in Broxburn and then moves onto John in Edinburgh (although I couldn't find his name on the list). I was really surprised to see her name listed.

http://www.london2012.com/torch-rela...unity=larbert/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Not by Coca-Cola. However, the list that Coca-Cola provided made it appear that the candidates were chosen more by service than by athletic achievement (most were not athletes).
    I see - it's purely commercial.

vCash
    Congrats to all the figure skaters...Kwan, Kerr, T&D, Navka

vCash
    From this local NBC TV news piece, it sounds like the Kween may have run with the torch on Day 52 (July 9)? I haven't come across any photos or video of her yet:
    Billinger passed the flame into a lantern which was then carried in a celebration through Oxford. From there, Torrance-native, Olympic figure skater and two-time medalist Michelle Kwan continued the journey.
    ETA: Ooooh, Coca-Cola controversy (not surprisingly): http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-18298825

Found a photo of Michelle Kwan with the torch in Oxford! https://twitter.com/alexandracruzer/...841600/photo/1
    Last edited by Sylvia; 07-10-2012 at 05:33 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    From this local NBC TV news piece, it sounds like the Kween may have run with the torch on Day 52 (July 9)? I haven't come across any photos or video of her yet:

ETA: Ooooh, Coca-Cola controversy (not surprisingly): http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-18298825

Found a photo of Michelle Kwan with the torch in Oxford! https://twitter.com/alexandracruzer/...841600/photo/1
    The Kween looks great! As for the controversy, how silly. When the Olys were in the US not all the runners were American. This is nothing new. What really made me was that will.i.am was chosen. Why?

vCash
    Some controversy

She looks delighted, so enjoying herself

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    The Kween looks great! As for the controversy, how silly. When the Olys were in the US not all the runners were American. This is nothing new. What really made me was that will.i.am was chosen. Why?
    Think the "controversy" was a little blown out of proportion, i know that a few people have queried why we have had torch bearers of other nationalities running but as soon as it is explained that this is usual, there is no issue.

As for Will.i.am, apart from being a big celebrity here, particularly prominent atm through being a judge on The Voice UK, he donated his fee from the show, £500,000, to The Princes Trust to help fund a project to teach technology skills to disadvantaged children and I believe has become involved in other charitable projects in the country.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by alij View Post
    As for Will.i.am, apart from being a big celebrity here, particularly prominent atm through being a judge on The Voice UK, he donated his fee from the show, £500,000, to The Princes Trust to help fund a project to teach technology skills to disadvantaged children and I believe has become involved in other charitable projects in the country.
    Charitable works in Great Britain are taken very seriously by the Royal Family. I'm not surprised that they might be the reason why one celebrity was chosen over the other.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by alij View Post
    Good for him!

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Charitable works in Great Britain are taken very seriously by the Royal Family. I'm not surprised that they might be the reason why one celebrity was chosen over the other.
    The Royal Family don't have any say over who is a torchbearer surely?
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    The Royal Family don't have any say over who is a torchbearer surely?
    No they didn't at all, I thought that comment was a bit odd too!

vCash

Who can carry the torch

Almost anyone can carry a torch, provided that he is at least 14 years old and is able to carry it for at least 400 meters (437 yards). Handicapped people can be (and have been) torchbearers -- they can carry the torch while riding in a wheelchair. The torchbearers are chosen by the Olympic sponsors and organizers, usually because they have made a significant contribution to their community and because they personify the theme of that particular Olympics. The Olympic sponsors (for example, Coca-Cola) also get to choose several torchbearers from within their organizations.

http://entertainment.howstuffworks.c...pic-torch7.htm

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    Thanks for sharing that link. I also found this to be pretty interesting and neat:

It may also be ferried from place to place by car, boat, bicycle, motorcycle, dog sled, horse, or virtually any other type of conveyance.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    Here's another photo of Michelle carrying the torch. http://on.fb.me/NZP65C

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gofigure View Post
    Love this photo.

vCash
    Robin Cousins turn to carry the torch today

https://twitter.com/Waldmeisterei/st...200128/photo/1

lots of skating torch bearers considering it is a minority sport here
    T&D
    Robin Cousins
    Michelle Kwan
    Tatiana Navka
    John Kerr
    Alan Seabrook ( not only for his services to skating but for fostering 350 childrenO)
    Suzanne Otterson

as well as less well known skaters
    Danielle Harrison
    Amber Ferguson
    Niamh McHale
    Sophie Whittam
    Kelsey Nolan
    Last edited by alij; 07-16-2012 at 09:03 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gofigure View Post
    Great picture of the Kween! Thanks for the link!
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast