Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Argle-Bargle-ist
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Age
    50
    Posts
    8,503
    vCash
    875
    Rep Power
    46724

    Free Program To (Unzip?) RAR Files?

    Any suggestions? I have been using filestube.com to download mp3s of my old vinyl and audiocassette collection that I have been unable to find with BitTorrent. I've avoided RAR files because I don't understand them. But today I mistakenly downloaded an album in the RAR format and thought I would try to figure it out. So I downloaded winzip and it unzipped (is that the right term?) one album I downloaded. Great! So I downloaded another album, but I guess the free winzip program I downloaded only worked once, now they want me to pay I guess.

    Wondering if anyone knows of a program that will work for as many unzips as I might need. Thanks for your help!
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Age
    28
    Posts
    11,834
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0

  3. #3

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    5,252
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    6157
    I also recommend 7-Zip.

    It has another useful feature, at least for Windows 7. If you're in Windows Explorer and right-click on a zip file, you have the option to open it using 7-zip. That way you can see the files without having to extract them to a folder.

  4. #4
    Resident Rude Brazilian
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The Nobunari Oda School of Arithmetics
    Posts
    3,025
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    7276
    I use WinRar since forever.
    There's a warning that you only have 40 days to use the free version, after that you'd have to pay, but nothing happens really, I've been getting the 40 days warning since, well, forever
    Dá-lhe, Isadora!!
    Lead me not into temptation. I can find it, and eat it, all by myself.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,897
    vCash
    400
    Rep Power
    5620
    I read Free program and thought skating....

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    practising choreo
    Posts
    922
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by beepbeep View Post
    I use WinRar since forever.
    There's a warning that you only have 40 days to use the free version, after that you'd have to pay, but nothing happens really, I've been getting the 40 days warning since, well, forever
    Yup, I use it too - you can ignore the 'pay' warning. The program will still work after the free trial period ends.

  7. #7
    Argle-Bargle-ist
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Age
    50
    Posts
    8,503
    vCash
    875
    Rep Power
    46724
    A thanks and a new question. Thanks for your comments about winzip, I can make it work, I just need to click on the "Use Evaluation Version" button which follows the "Buy Now" button".

    My new question: I downloaded an album, but I can't unzip it because I get this message that asks for a password. It's in abox that says the password at the top, but when I enter that, it does not work. So I have to click on cancel and get a message that says something to the effect of, "The following file could not be opened or is not a valid zip file".

    Is this something that can be solved somehow? It's for a rare album, so I'm hoping something can be done. Or is this a write-off scenario and my only option is to delete the folder?
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    practising choreo
    Posts
    922
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    My new question: I downloaded an album, but I can't unzip it because I get this message that asks for a password. It's in abox that says the password at the top, but when I enter that, it does not work. So I have to click on cancel and get a message that says something to the effect of, "The following file could not be opened or is not a valid zip file".

    Is this something that can be solved somehow? It's for a rare album, so I'm hoping something can be done. Or is this a write-off scenario and my only option is to delete the folder?
    Are you saying you have the password and it's not working (not unzipping the file when you enter it)? Otherwise, you're out of luck because you need the actual password.

  9. #9
    Re-registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Nowhere in particular
    Posts
    5,826
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1360
    I've never downloaded a password protected file, but there are password cracker programs available, and some sites and youtubes with tutorials if you google "winzip password cracker".
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

  10. #10
    Argle-Bargle-ist
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Age
    50
    Posts
    8,503
    vCash
    875
    Rep Power
    46724
    Quote Originally Posted by star_gazer11 View Post
    Are you saying you have the password and it's not working (not unzipping the file when you enter it)? Otherwise, you're out of luck because you need the actual password.
    I did not have a password, but the window that asks for the password has a title heading that is something like:

    password: BPB80.rar

    But that does not work.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    practising choreo
    Posts
    922
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I did not have a password, but the window that asks for the password has a title heading that is something like:

    password: BPB80.rar

    But that does not work.
    That should be the file name. The thing about filestube is that it trawls uploading sites/files, which *ahem* sharing communities use. If you've heard of megaupload, big kerfuffle earlier this year when the FBI took it down - uploaded files, both illegal and legal, went poof.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •