View Poll Results: Which Of These Movies Interest You? (Vote For As Many As You Like)

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • June 1st - Snow White & the Huntsman (Fantasy with Charlize Theron, Chris Hemsworth)

20 30.30%
  • June 8th - Prometheus (Sci-Fi with Michael Fassbender, Guy Pearce, Charlize Theron)

18 27.27%
  • June 15th - Rock of Ages (Musical with Tom Cruise, Julianne Hough, Alec Baldwin, Russell Brand)

11 16.67%
  • June 22nd – Brave (Animated with Julie Walters, Billy Connolly, Emma Thompson)

23 34.85%
  • June 22nd - To Rome with Love (Comedy with Woody Allen, Alec Baldwin, Penelope Cruz, Ellen Page)

6 9.09%
  • June 29th - Magic Mike (Comedy with Channing Tatum, Alex Pettyfer, Matthew McConaughey)

10 15.15%
  • July 3rd - The Amazing Spider-Man (Adventure with Andrew Garfield, Emma Stone, Sally Field)

14 21.21%
  • July 13th - Red Lights (Thriller with Cillian Murphy, Robert De Niro, Sigourney Weaver)

11 16.67%
  • July 20th - The Dark Knight Rises (Adventure with Christian Bale, Michael Caine, Tom Hardy)

34 51.52%
  • August 3rd - The Bourne Legacy (Action with Jeremy Renner, Rachel Weisz, Edward Norton)

14 21.21%
  • August 3rd - Total Recall (Action, Sci-Fi with Colin Farrell, Kate Beckinsale and John Cho)

7 10.61%
  • August 10th - Hope Springs (Comedy withMeryl Streep, Tommy Lee Jones, Steve Carell)

15 22.73%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Grannyfan View Post
    I plan to watch Paper Moon again in the next couple of days. I love this movie. Ryan and Tatum O'Neal are so good in it, and the Depression-era look is perfect. But it's Madeline Kahn's scenes that are my favorite part. She's brilliant.
    One of my all-time favourite films too. I try not to think about how Tatum's & Ryan's relationship soured later ...

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    I saw "Prometheus" this weekend, and other than the great visuals and some decent performances (especially Michael Fassbender), I thought the movie was pretty awful. Maybe I might have ignored all the plot holes and unanswered existential questions if the production team bothered to develop the characters enough to care about them.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Kitty View Post
    Just skimmed this thread, so if I missed this, I apologize, but did anyone post the 100th Anniversary of Paramount Studio photo? Just cursor over people to see more detail and their names.
    What a great photo! We talked about a similar one done last year, I'm thinking it was done just after the Academy Awards? This one is just as good. I think Kate Hudson looks the best, Richard Gere and Jane Fonda look great, too. Some are looking a bit ragged, though (Billy Dee Williams, Michael York and Zachary Quinto). They caught Simon Pegg with a rather displeased look on his face! And is it just me who thinks Jason Reitman is HAWT??
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    I have a pair of free tickets to see a screening of "That's My Boy" tonight, I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not .
    Sometimes I think I lost something really important to me, and it turns out I already ate it.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NinjaTurtles View Post
    I have a pair of free tickets to see a screening of "That's My Boy" tonight, I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not .

Andy Samberg = good
    Adam Sandler = bad

Maybe Sandler's character will get killed off early in the film? :fingerscrossed:

vCash
    Re the photo: Loved seeing Molly Ringwald and Jon Cryer sitting together. I know you must think I have it out for Tom Cruise but he looks like a Ken doll in the photo. I do wonder who he consults with to help him look like he did when he was in "Top Gun."

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    I was reading some articles from Vanity Fair's Hollywood Blog (thanks to Garden Kitty for the picture link, which led me to this site). Some interesting articles, including the casting of Chloë Grace Moretz in the remake of "Carrie" due out March 15th of 2003. Not sure about Moretz in this role, but her mom is played by Julianne Moore...who I have complete confidence in. Piper Laurie was brilliant in the role, but perhaps a bit too one-note? I think Julianne Moore might bring more to the part. The picture at imdb.com for Chris Hargensen (Carrie's nemesis) looked like some random blonde bimbo until I clicked on the link and realized it is Ivy from the tv show "Smash" (Megan Hilty). I think she will do as well as Nancy Allen, maybe even better. I think the performances will depend a lot on the director. Which is...Kimberly Peirce. Who we know directed Hilary Swank to an Academy Award in "Boys Don't Cry" (and Chloe Sevigny to a best supporting nomination as well). Pierce also wrote and directed "Stop-Loss" which I think was really underrated. It starred Ryan Phillipe, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Timothy Olyphant and Channing Tatum.

I loved the original Carrie. Spacek was beyond amazing. But with Pierce, Moore and Hilty, I think there is a chance that the remake could possibly be better than the original.

vCash
    Some good Dorothy McGuire movies on TCM today. Just finished the wonderful Friendly Persuasion. Enchanted Cottage and one of my favorites, The Spiral Staircase, later. It's filled with old suspense movie cliches, but I love it. Good supporting cast including Ethel Barrymore, Elsa Lanchester, and George Brent toward the end of his prime movie career.

vCash
    How I adore "The Enchanted Cottage".
    Oh, the power of love!

having a nice day
    vCash
    Krzysztof Kieślowski--re-watched "White," just because I really get a kick out of the main character's expressions, then a version of "Red" that I got to see what was on disc 2-interviews, commentary, short films ("Seven Women of Different Ages" was soooo excellent!). Waiting for interlibrary loan of "Blind Chance."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krzysztof_Kie%C5%9Blowski

Krzysztof Kieślowski's films are what I would want if I was stranded on a desert island. they are just perfect, all the ones I've seen.
    Last edited by immoimeme; 06-18-2012 at 04:58 PM. Reason: meh....

having a nice day
    vCash
    I requested "Idiocracy" a million years ago and I'm STILL number 4 on the waiting list. Do I dare call whoever "lost" it an idiot?

vCash
    Re-watched "Portrait of Jennie" this past weekend. Still love it!

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    My movies watched this past week:

10/10 Tyrannosaur - A wonderful movie written and directed by Paddy Considine known best as an actor (In America, Cinderella Man, Hot Fuzz, The Bourne Ultimatum). And man, does he knock it out of the park with his first-time directing. It certainly doesn’t hurt that the two leads are stunningly amazing (Peter Mullan who was in War Horse, HP and the Deathly Hallows Pt. One and Children of Men, along with Olivia Colman who was in The Iron Lady and Hot Fuzz). Warning: there are a number of violent scenes in this movie, but hopefully that won’t scare you off as this movie is about two people trying valiantly to cling to their humanity in spite of their situation (or themselves).

9/10 Head On (1998) – Okay, my main interest in this movie was the hotness of lead Alex Dimitriades (and LORD, is he hot!!). But the movie itself is very good as well, showing us the life of a disillusioned youth trying to find his way while struggling with culture and sexuality. I’ve wanted to see this for years and I wasn’t disappointed.

9/10 The Corn Is Green (1945, Bette Davis) - Great script with a stunningly strong, intelligent female lead. Plus Joan Lorring as Bessie Watty does some scenery-chewing that would do...umm...Bette Davis proud!

7/10 After.Life – I would have rated this lower, but the one DVD extra, a “Making Of” feature, the director talks about the movie, which clarified a lot of the story to me. This movie bombed at the box office, I expect to some extent because it was released about six months after the death of Liam Neeson’s wife Natasha Richardson. Don’t know why the studio did not hold back the release longer. But it’s a well-made film, but somewhat slow moving. I was able to follow it quite well at double speed for most of the movie.

5/10 Meek’s Cutoff – This is one of the most beautiful movies I have ever seen. Shot after shot, it is stunning to look at. However, I did watch most of this movie on DVD at double speed. And sometimes I hit the button to double the speed not realizing that I was already on double speed…that is how slow-moving this movie is. Plus, there is no ending. After spending 90 minutes with this group of people and wondering if they will survivor or not, the movie ends...and since there is no ending, we will never know. Thanks. A lot.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    10/10 Tyrannosaur - A wonderful movie written and directed by Paddy Considine known best as an actor (In America, Cinderella Man, Hot Fuzz, The Bourne Ultimatum). And man, does he knock it out of the park with his first-time directing. ...
    That one just came up in the library queue for me, picking it up in the next couple of days. I'm looking forward to it!

vCash
    The Anna Karenina trailer is out. Can't say I like the looks of it very much.

(Raise your hand if you remembered some of Tanith's expressions when Anna fell back on the bed with that look on her face. )
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    My problem is I like the look of it too much. I had the same reaction to The Great Gatsby trailer. Both movies may be all window dressing but I will go and see them because I'm dazzled by the scenery. I hope both films have more dimension and substance.

vCash
    I do think it's pretty . . . but the dialogue bothers me. It doesn't sound like Tolstoy by way of Stoppard. It sounds like every romantic cliche Hollywood has ever spouted.

Well, maybe they only chose the inane lines to put in the trailer.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    MOONRISE KINGDOM. Go see it if you can. Excellent flick!
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    If only our local cinema would get the indies or smaller films faster--that is if they get them at all. There are a number I want to see this summer.

Regarding the "summer" blockbusters: I did not think I would have any interest in seeing Abraham Lincoln hunting vampires but I just watched a 15 minute preview on HBO and I have to say the film looks damned good. So I guess I'll be watching my second fave president (after FDR) kill vamps.
    Last edited by Cachoo; 06-22-2012 at 04:25 AM.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    MOONRISE KINGDOM. Go see it if you can. Excellent flick!
    When I went with a friend to see Prometheus, this is the other one he suggested. My response was something like "Wes Anderson? Very funny..." (meaning not that he is a comic genius, but that after seeing The Royal Tenenbaums, I am scared to see any movie related to him in any way).

I thought Rushmore was decent, but the trailers for The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, The Darjeeling Limited and Moonrise Kingdom look like more of what we got with the Royal Tenenbaums. No thank you...

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast