View Poll Results: Which Of These Movies Interest You? (Vote For As Many As You Like)

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • June 1st - Snow White & the Huntsman (Fantasy with Charlize Theron, Chris Hemsworth)

20 30.30%
  • June 8th - Prometheus (Sci-Fi with Michael Fassbender, Guy Pearce, Charlize Theron)

18 27.27%
  • June 15th - Rock of Ages (Musical with Tom Cruise, Julianne Hough, Alec Baldwin, Russell Brand)

11 16.67%
  • June 22nd – Brave (Animated with Julie Walters, Billy Connolly, Emma Thompson)

23 34.85%
  • June 22nd - To Rome with Love (Comedy with Woody Allen, Alec Baldwin, Penelope Cruz, Ellen Page)

6 9.09%
  • June 29th - Magic Mike (Comedy with Channing Tatum, Alex Pettyfer, Matthew McConaughey)

10 15.15%
  • July 3rd - The Amazing Spider-Man (Adventure with Andrew Garfield, Emma Stone, Sally Field)

14 21.21%
  • July 13th - Red Lights (Thriller with Cillian Murphy, Robert De Niro, Sigourney Weaver)

11 16.67%
  • July 20th - The Dark Knight Rises (Adventure with Christian Bale, Michael Caine, Tom Hardy)

34 51.52%
  • August 3rd - The Bourne Legacy (Action with Jeremy Renner, Rachel Weisz, Edward Norton)

14 21.21%
  • August 3rd - Total Recall (Action, Sci-Fi with Colin Farrell, Kate Beckinsale and John Cho)

7 10.61%
  • August 10th - Hope Springs (Comedy withMeryl Streep, Tommy Lee Jones, Steve Carell)

15 22.73%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I saw Prometheus tonight. Its lovely to look at and the acting is fine, but I thought that it was pretty cliche-ridden.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by martian_girl View Post
    I saw Prometheus tonight. Its lovely to look at and the acting is fine, but I thought that it was pretty cliche-ridden.
    I was dying to see it on opening weekend but didn't get to go. It's getting a very solid 75% on www.rottentomatoes.com

vCash
    Also saw Prometheus. It's Ridley Scott, so focus is on "big" questions. I thought they tried to do interesting things, but some plot points seemed to contradict others, and it didn't set-up well the first Alien movie. It was designed to have a sequel --Prometheus 2, which I think could be very interesting.

Fassbender did a great job. Others did well, but I wasn't convinced by the two female leads. Not sure what didn't work with them, bit they were both a little off to me ( especially Theron).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    5/10 War Horse – Hammy, manipulative and corny. I can’t believe people are raving about this movie on the imdb boards. I give it a five because the production values are brilliant. The directing, and especially the script are SO cornball!!
    I really wanted to love War Horse, 'cos really, a film with Benedict Cumberbath, Tom Hiddleston, and a load of horses in it? It should've been right up my alley! But no. It was too obvious that the director had gone "Hmm, if I do this thing like this, people will be ~emotionally affected~. Score!"
    I'd like to see the stage adaptation, though, and read the novel it's based on. Also, one of my friends misheard me when I said I was going to see War Horse, so now I'm waiting for someone to make a film or book parody called War Whores.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Hmm. Some disappointing feedback about Prometheus. Sounds like I will be lowering my standards, which will mean I will enjoy it by not expecting much.

I found a DVD at one of my local libraries of the short films nominated for the 75th Academy Awards (2002). Three of them that I liked best are on youtube, here's the links (the first and third are live action, the second is animated):

"I'll Wait For The Next One" (France, 4m 34 seconds) - Watch this one. It's less than five minutes of your life, give it a go!

The ChubbChubbs!(USA, 5m 28 sceonds) - You might have seen this already. It won the Oscar and is worth a second viewing if you've already seen it.

Gridlock (Belgium, 7m 11 seconds - Another one not to miss.

Quote Originally Posted by Sofia Alexandra View Post
    I'd like to see the stage adaptation, though, and read the novel it's based on. Also, one of my friends misheard me when I said I was going to see War Horse, so now I'm waiting for someone to make a film or book parody called War Whores.
    Yes, I've heard many good things about the stage play. As for War Whores, I'm sure it will have a much less manipulative script than War Horse!
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    I watched Brit Marling's "Another Earth" today. I liked the movie though it had an odd vibe: It felt kind of like a Lifetime movie wrapped in science fiction. I think I would have enjoyed a bit more sci-fi and a bit less Lifetime but it was still an interesting effort.

vCash
    Hmm news had story about Rock of Ages. It looks good. Don't think I'll see it at theatres as far too cheap for that. But will look for it once it comes to TV or even rent the DVD.

vCash
    I saw Moonrise Kingdom and LOVED it. For anyone who's a Wes Anderson fan, I thought this was one of his best, if not the best. The movie really captures the feeling of childhood adventure and romance. Also, Anderson detractors will point to his obsession with detail and style at the expense of character development and storytelling. Not here. I was also delightedly surprised by how much I laughed, loud and gleefully.

vCash
    Saw Snow White and the 7...Errr and the Huntsman yesterday. Charlize Theron is the best thing in it! She stole every scene she is in. Kristen Stewart, on the other hand...not so much. There were some points where I actually thought she might pull out a decent performance, but then she fell back on her "constipated" look, to show range.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gingercrush View Post
    Hmm news had story about Rock of Ages. It looks good. Don't think I'll see it at theatres as far too cheap for that. But will look for it once it comes to TV or even rent the DVD.

It might be a good film but does anyone else think the press (or whoever) is giving Tom Cruise way too much praise for playing a rock star? He is an actor after all so what is the big deal?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cachoo View Post
    It might be a good film but does anyone else think the press (or whoever) is giving Tom Cruise way too much praise for playing a rock star? He is an actor after all so what is the big deal?
    He's not an actor; he's a movie star - BIG difference.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    I saw the stage version of Rock of Ages, and it was okay. The best part about it was the live vibe. I'm having a hard time imagining it will be improved by a screen adaptation ... or the casting of Tom Cruise ... but I'll probably check it out when it comes on DVD.

Re: War Horse, I'm still as to why they thought taking out the very best part of the stage play (the incredible horse puppets) was a good idea ... but I'm in the library queue for it so will give it a try. Just for Benedict Cumberbatch, really.

Speaking of BC, it was a surprise to see him in The Whistleblower, which I finally got around to watching this weekend. It was a teeny tiny part though, but still fun to see him, playing an American no less. But this movie is all Rachel Weiss. She really brought heart to the character, and of course it's an important story too. Great movie, I highly recommend it.

I was really lucky with my DVD viewing this weekend actually. My other 3 viewings were:

It's Kind of a Funny Story, with Kier Gilchrist and Zach Galifianakis. I'm still of mixed view about its rather superficial and low-key take on mental illness, but the leads (esp. Galifianakis) are so engaging and the film has good heart, so overall positive review.

Coriolanus. There's a reason this play is not produced as often as the more well-known Shakespeare works, but it has probably the most relevant modern-day themes of any of his plays. The modern setting worked extremely well except for one battle scene, and most of the acting was great (though James Nesbitt's Sicinius with his Irish accent was a tad weird). The stand-out performance was Vanessa Redgrave -- her Volumnia was electrifying.

Tomboy -- the best of the films I watched this weekend. It's about a 10-year-old girl who, when she moves to a new town, decided to introduce herself to the local kids as Mikael and pretend to be a boy. It works because it doesn't try to take a stand on gender identity, it just tells a story and the kids are so natural.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cachoo View Post
    The big deal is that actors flop all the time taking on roles that they did not have the talent required to make the role believable. Cruise's character in Rock of Ages is so over-the-top/larger than life that a lot of actors would not even take on the role because too much charisma is required to make the role work. Plus one has to be able to sing.

Quote Originally Posted by emason View Post
    He's not an actor; he's a movie star - BIG difference.
    Cruise is both. He has been a movie star since the early 80's when Risky Business made over 60 million (with a budget of six million). He's remained one of the most bankable stars right up until the present (almost 30 years later) with the latest Mission Impossible making almost 700 million worldwide (with a budget of 145 million).

On top of that, he has been nominated for an Academy Award three times (Born On The Fourth Of July, Jerry Maguire and Magnolia). Plus he got good to great reviews for his work in Tropic Thunder, Lions for Lambs, The Last Samurai, A Few Good Men and Collateral.

vCash
    Sorry, don't agree about Cruise. In the words of the late, great Gene Siskel, writing about Cruise in Born on the Fourth of July, "he's a bad actor trying hard".

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Yeah, what does the Academy know, anyway?

vCash
    The demographic of Academy members and voters is, alas, incredibly limited. Think: white privileged male over 50. It's a fine demo, but wouldn't it be nice to have a wider range of voices.

vCash
    We went to see "Hysteria" tonight.........Some great belly laughs produced for sure. I highly recommend this comedy base on a true story.
    Addicted to FSU

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Just skimmed this thread, so if I missed this, I apologize, but did anyone post the 100th Anniversary of Paramount Studio photo? Just cursor over people to see more detail and their names.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    Rewatched 'Muriel's Wedding'. Love this movie.

An irresponsible, not well-liked, socially inept young woman matures and takes ownership of her life with bits of humor and drama embedded in the movie. The ABBA music makes it even more fun to watch.

vCash
    I plan to watch Paper Moon again in the next couple of days. I love this movie. Ryan and Tatum O'Neal are so good in it, and the Depression-era look is perfect. But it's Madeline Kahn's scenes that are my favorite part. She's brilliant.

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast