vCash

Advice requested regarding Vancouver

Vancouver people (or people who have been there), can you give me some advice?

I am traveling there in a couple of weeks with mom and my daughter, and we will be there three days (two full days before we leave for an Alaska cruise and one full day after the cruise).

What do you consider the must sees? I was there once in 2001 for Worlds but was all wrapped up in skating. I only allowed myself limited time to see a couple of things in the city on that trip.

Am very excited about going back because I love this city.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    First of all, congrats on your very wise travel choice.

You might want to begin by checking out this thread on visiting Vancouver from about a year ago.

Also this one.

Also, do you and your travelling companions have any particular interests? Vancouver is a world-class city with something for everyone, it will be a lot easier to identify the "must sees" if we know what you like. And, will you be staying downtown near the cruise ship terminal, or somewhere else?

Then cross your fingers that we actually get some summer by the time you come. (We had about a week earlier in the month ... and I'm remaining optimistic that the sun will return eventually ...)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    First of all, congrats on your very wise travel choice.

You might want to begin by checking out this thread on visiting Vancouver from about a year ago.

Also this one.

Also, do you and your travelling companions have any particular interests? Vancouver is a world-class city with something for everyone, it will be a lot easier to identify the "must sees" if we know what you like. And, will you be staying downtown near the cruise ship terminal, or somewhere else?

Then cross your fingers that we actually get some summer by the time you come. (We had about a week earlier in the month ... and I'm remaining optimistic that the sun will return eventually ...)
    Thanks, Artemis! It looks like there is a lot of good info in these links, so I will take a good look at all of this info today.

It will be the first time visiting Vancouver for my mom and my daughter. As far as interests go, we are pretty easy to please. We like to explore, walk around, check out a coffee shop or restaurant, etc. The last time I took a trolley tour, which was cool, because you could get on and off at your leisure at any point. I would like to do that again if possible. We would also like to go outside of the city one day and see some scenery and/or wildlife.

Am actually looking forward to the cooler weather, b/c it has been in the 90's (too hot for May!) here in Orlando!

vCash
    So, will you be staying down near the cruise ship terminal? That's a great area for exploring on foot -- easy walking to both Gastown and Chinatown, both of which offer lots of scope for exploring and shopping. Also two of my very favourite restaurants are in that area: Brioche (a fabulous funky little coffee shop / bakery / bistro) and Wild Rice (an amazing Asian fusion small plates restaurant).

vCash
    If you want to stay within the Downtown Core (no skytrain, no buses, no nothing but just walking), the best place to explore is Stanley Park. The Park itself is beautiful. You can also walk, bike or rollerblade along the Seawall, which starts at the cruiseship terminal.

There is a shopping mall (Pacific Mall) and shops along Robson Street.

For restaurants, I like Raincity Grill, Gyoza King, Chambar, Hon's, Japadog, Rodney's Oyster House and Shabussen. If you decide on Wild Rice, get the Kung Pao Chicken.

For coffee, I like Blendz, JJ Bean, Smart Mouth Cafe, Bel Cafe, Caffe Artigiano, and Delaney's.

For dessert, I like Bella Gelateria, True Confections, and Thierry Chocolaterie Patisserie Cafe.
    Last edited by manhn; 05-29-2012 at 05:54 AM.

vCash
    Artemis and manhn,
    You guys rock! Thank you for the suggestions. These are great, and I will check these out.

Yes, we are staying pretty close to the cruise ship terminal, so we hope to do a lot on foot. (Crossing fingers for no rain.) Definitely want to visit Stanley Park and also Granville Island, which I remember I liked last time. (I assume we can hop on a bus somewhere to get there.)

I can't wait! Haven't had time off from work in a while so I am very much looking forward to this.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rudi View Post
    Definitely want to visit ... also Granville Island, which I remember I liked last time. (I assume we can hop on a bus somewhere to get there.)
    Yes, several buses that run from/through downtown will take you over the Granville St. Bridge -- get off at the first stop on the other side of the bridge and walk to Granville Island from there. (There is one bus, the #50, that goes right onto the island but it's very infrequent and slow and usually not worth waiting for.) Lots of Granville Island info here, and bus route info here.

But a way more fun way to get there is to take the Aquabus, which is a tiny barge-like passenger boat that goes across False Creek from several locations, to Granville Island. Routes, rates, etc.: Aquabus.

Aside from the general walking around, shopping, and eating you can do on GI, it's also home to some great theatres, if that interest you at all. I don't know when exactly you'll be here, but the two Arts Club productions they're running this summer are Xanadu starting Jun 21 (which could be a really good choice for your multi-generational group), and Altar Boyz starting July 5 (a tad racier but utterly hilarious).

There's also theatre in Stanley Park: Theatre Under the Stars, in the outdoor theatre at Malkin Bowl. They do 2 shows each year in rep, starting July 8. This year it's Titanic and The Music Man. (When I first started going to Theatre Under the Stars as a kid, it was rush seating, and we'd sit in line with our picnic dinners. Now they have reserved seating -- not as fun, but better for people who are on a tight schedule. They also have "rain insurance" now, LOL!)

vCash
    If you want a day out of town, I suggest a trip up Howe Sound to Squamish. Very scenic. I have only gone by car, so don't know what the public transportation is there now. I think the Royal Hudson steam train is long gone, right?

Another interesting place is Steveston, in South Richmond. That is accessible by public transit. Google Translink to get all the info you need about travelling by bus, skytrain, seabus, etc.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JasperBoy View Post
    If you want a day out of town, I suggest a trip up Howe Sound to Squamish. Very scenic. I have only gone by car, so don't know what the public transportation is there now. I think the Royal Hudson steam train is long gone, right?
    You are correct, the Royal Hudson no longer makes that trip. There is another company now that does Vancouver-to-Whistler train excursions, but I would advise not using them because of their labour practices -- they've locked out their employees for years. But if you're okay with crossing a picket line and giving your money a company that uses a provincial-federal jurisdiction loophole to allow them to employ scab labourers ... go right ahead.

ETA: the trip to Squamish/Whistler is indeed quite beautiful, but might be somewhat scenically redundant given that Rudi will be going on a an Alaska cruise. Steveston is a great location to visit, though. Very Vancouver -- both for its scenery and its history. Be sure to have fish&chips on the dock (but watch out for aggressive seagulls). And as a new extra added bonus ... it's also the main shooting location for Once Upon a Time. So if you're a fan of that show, you'll see some familiar sights. (Alas, no Robert Carlyle anywhere in sight the last time I went out there.)
    Last edited by Artemis@BC; 05-29-2012 at 10:21 PM.

vCash
    Thank you for the thread. Incidentally, I am also going on Alaska cruise with my husband and son in about 10 days ( Celebrity Century, because it was the only one that fit our schedule- my husband is jumping ship in Juneau for a conference).
    Would anybody be able to recommend a good- but not luxury- hotel near the Terminal? We are in Vancouver only for a day, and I imagine, would prefer walking to anything else. Parks are the best.
    Many thanks!
    improving my ballad- like lines

vCash
    It's been a few years since I stayed there, but I like the Best Western Downtown Vancouver, which is on the southern side of Downtown. Downtown, the West End, Stanley Park, and Granville Island are all within walking distance. (You might want a cab to take you to the ship, though.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    It's been a few years since I stayed there, but I like the Best Western Downtown Vancouver, which is on the southern side of Downtown. Downtown, the West End, Stanley Park, and Granville Island are all within walking distance. (You might want a cab to take you to the ship, though.)
    Thank you so much, I'll look at it!

vCash
    dinakt, I think we are on the same cruise.

You may want to also look at the Hampton Inn, Listel, or Century Plaza. Hampton Inn is closest to the terminal, I believe. The Century Plaza and the Listel would be more like a five minute cab ride. (Vancouver folks, correct me if I am wrong.)

Thanks again, all! We leave in a few days! I'll let you know how it went.

vCash
    This just landed in my inbox: a Teambuy (like Groupon) deal for a hop-on-hop-off Vancouver bus tour. Various 1 and 2 day options, starting at $17.

http://www.teambuy.ca/vancouver/2813...tm_term=114696

Deal purchase available for another 14 hours, and the pass is good til Sept 30.

I've done this type of tour in other cities but not Vancouver (since I live here!) so I don't know this one compares.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rudi View Post
    dinakt, I think we are on the same cruise.

You may want to also look at the Hampton Inn, Listel, or Century Plaza. Hampton Inn is closest to the terminal, I believe. The Century Plaza and the Listel would be more like a five minute cab ride. (Vancouver folks, correct me if I am wrong.)

Thanks again, all! We leave in a few days! I'll let you know how it went.
    Thank you! I'll PM you))

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    You are correct, the Royal Hudson no longer makes that trip. There is another company now that does Vancouver-to-Whistler train excursions, but I would advise not using them because of their labour practices -- they've locked out their employees for years. But if you're okay with crossing a picket line and giving your money a company that uses a provincial-federal jurisdiction loophole to allow them to employ scab labourers ... go right ahead.
    Thank you for pointing this out, so I didn't have to. The one-year anniversary of the lockout is June 22.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"