View Poll Results: Which figure skating champion is the weakest link?

Voters
196. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lu Chen

4 2.04%
  • Michelle Kwan

5 2.55%
  • Tara Lipinski

9 4.59%
  • Maria Butyrskaya

24 12.24%
  • Sarah Hughes

104 53.06%
  • Irina Slutskaya

2 1.02%
  • Shizuka Arakawa

5 2.55%
  • Miki Ando

20 10.20%
  • Mao Asada

7 3.57%
  • Yuna Kim

3 1.53%
  • Carolina Kostner

13 6.63%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Suguri, Sebeysten, and Butyrskaya all should have clearly beaten Hughes in the SP. That was the consensus of most people at the time. Just because there wasnt a clear consensus amongst the judges, doesnt mean there wasnt amongst others.
    Who are "most people"? You and your friends?

The fact that you personally disagree with the judges doesn't make your opinion correct or theirs wrong.

ETA: Based on the posts in this thread, I would say that there is no consensus now among skating fans that all three of the ladies you mention should have beaten Hughes in the SP. I doubt that if you dug up FSU posts from February 2002 you would find any more of a consensus then than there is now.
    Last edited by Vagabond; 05-30-2012 at 09:37 PM.

vCash
    I voted for Sarah Hughes in the first round (and the second). Her Olympic win was really her only win and it was kind of a fluke. I may be in the minority, but I don't even think her long program was that good. She still had the same gawkiness that characterized all of her skating, not to mention her flutz. At least one of her 3-3 combos was severely underrotated. Kimmie won both World and US Nationals. To me, that is more impressive than Sarah Hughes' one-hit wonder performance, even it it did win her an Olympic gold medal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by giselle23 View Post
    I voted for Sarah Hughes in the first round (and the second). Her Olympic win was really her only win and it was kind of a fluke. I may be in the minority, but I don't even think her long program was that good. She still had the same gawkiness that characterized all of her skating, not to mention her flutz. At least one of her 3-3 combos was severely underrotated. Kimmie won both World and US Nationals. To me, that is more impressive than Sarah Hughes' one-hit wonder performance, even it it did win her an Olympic gold medal.

I agree with you about Sarah. Have to disagree about Kimmie because she won the worlds in a diluted field (top 2 were absent, and Sasha pretty much beat herself). Kimmie looked less awkward though, while winning the worlds than Sarah did at the Olympics

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Who are "most people"? You and your friends?

The fact that you personally disagree with the judges doesn't make your opinion correct or theirs wrong
    I'm not one of judgejudy's friends, but I can say that many threads on this board were done about that. And the conclusion of most of them was that Suguri, Butyrskaya and Sebestyen should have been higher than Hughes after the SP.

vCash
    Kimmie would never have won Worlds with Kwan or Slutskaya around though. For that matter she would have never won Nationals either. Hughes beat both not only in SLC but at Skate Canada in 2001.

vCash
    Much as I don't care for Sarah Hughes' skating, at least she tried all triples, unlike the current champion.

vCash
    Hughes never attempted anything close to a lutz.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    I'm not one of judgejudy's friends, but I can say that many threads on this board were done about that. And the conclusion of most of them was that Suguri, Butyrskaya and Sebestyen should have been higher than Hughes after the SP.
    Hmmm....

You didn't join FSU until a year and a half after the period in question.

vCash
    Hmmm....

I wasn't interested in fs at the time, but I did go back and rewatch the SPs and LPs of that worlds, and I agree that the others were better than Hughes. But judging was different back then so I don't know how it would've been judged. But preference wise, Hughes was near the bottom

vCash
    I would vote for her
    but no Oxana Baiul ?

vCash
    Hmmm....

And you really think it has never been discussed since ?
    Even now, it's still discussed.
    Anyway, my point was just that Judgejudy was not the only one because I've read it many times here

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by love_skate2011 View Post
    I would vote for her
    but no Oxana Baiul ?
    There was only a maximum of 12 options for a poll. So I just went for the last 12 champions. Sadly Oksana just missed the cut.

vCash
    Did Kwan have a true lutz?

vCash
    Sarah was never a favorite of mind and I definitely think she's one of the luckiest OGM ever in that she was able to skate pressure-free and just so happened to have the skate of her life at the biggest event of her life. She capitalized on her position and walked away with the gold and I wouldn't take that away from her. Still, there was an awkwardness to her skating that always made her look kinda juniorish in her movements. She had a lovely layback and nice extension, but I was never a fan of her skating.

Quote Originally Posted by shine View Post
    Did Kwan have a true lutz?
    Michelle had a lutz though it wasn't a true lutz in the sense that she didn't have a deep outside edge a la Shizuka Arakawa or Miki Ando. That's not to say she didn't flutz at times, but she did have a lutz. Here's a good angle of one from 2000: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...B8hvUfsA#t=12s Under the current rules, I'm pretty sure that would be credited as a correctly executed lutz.
    Last edited by kwanatic; 06-01-2012 at 09:01 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiK View Post
    . Sadly Oksana just missed the cut.
    I think it's rather kind and fortunate that Oksana missed this cut. But I think she still would have lasted a round longer than Sara Hughes in this poll.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiK View Post
    There was only a maximum of 12 options for a poll. So I just went for the last 12 champions. Sadly Oksana just missed the cut.
    Lucky for her. The way she is criticized on this board you would think she was a novice skater who only won the OGM as a senior due to corruption.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    Sarah was never a favorite of mind and I definitely think she's one of the luckiest OGM ever in that she was able to skate pressure-free and just so happened to have the skate of her life at the biggest event of her life. She capitalized on her position and walked away with the gold and I wouldn't take that away from her. Still, there was an awkwardness to her skating that always made her look kinda juniorish in her movements. She had a lovely layback and nice extension, but I was never a fan of her skating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...B8hvUfsA#t=12s
    Sarah was lucky in that after the double gold in pairs the judges were under pressure to favor a North American over a Russian skater, in a close competition (or they would be scrutinized to death). A few years earlier a juniorish skater like Sarah would not have received the high marks she did. She looked awkward even when she skated clean, and should have placed much lower than she did in both the SP and the LP. IMO she was someone with a great potential but did not develop it to the fullest because she won the OGM too soon.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Lucky for her. The way she is criticized on this board you would think she was a novice skater who only won the OGM as a senior due to corruption.
    Be fair. The way she is criticized on this board you would think she was a junior skater who only won the OGM as a senior due to annoyance/fatigue with the Tonya/Nancy scandal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Sarah was lucky in that after the double gold in pairs the judges were under pressure to favor a North American over a Russian skater, in a close competition (or they would be scrutinized to death). A few years earlier a juniorish skater like Sarah would not have received the high marks she did. She looked awkward even when she skated clean, and should have placed much lower than she did in both the SP and the LP. IMO she was someone with a great potential but did not develop it to the fullest because she won the OGM too soon.
    I would agree with this if Sarah had out of nowhere finished 3rd at nationals and as a surprise made the Olympic team. However, she was the reigning World bronze medalist and had medaled or won in most of her senior competitions for multiple years and getting good scores. So this notion that out of nowhere she got good scores is ridiculous. Furthermore, Sarah barely won. This was a majority European dominated panel which doled out 5.9's for Irinas sloppy effort on both marks.. Sarah got no 5.9's
    Last edited by eurodance2001; 06-01-2012 at 10:12 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by eurodance2001 View Post
    I would agree with this if Sarah had out of nowhere finished 3rd at nationals and as a surprise made the Olympic team. However, she was the reigning World bronze medalist and had medaled or won in most of her senior competitions for multiple years and getting good scores. So this notion that out of nowhere she got good scores is ridiculous. Furthermore, Sarah barely won. This was a majority European dominated panel which doled out 5.9's for Irinas sloppy effort on both marks.. Sarah got no 5.9's
    In the 6 years she skated, Sarah won very few comps. She was a strong and consistent skater who almost always landed on the podium in silver or bronze. This is impressive for someone so young, but she really was more consistent than elegant. Her world medal was actually after 4th in both sp and lp. Not to take away from her fierceness, but her "wins" did often depend on others f-ing up, but that's the way the sport works. So yeah, her OGM did rely heavily on her world bronze over Maria, and her SC gold over MK and IS, reputation wise. I honestly don't remember her scores over the years, but I don't recall them being that high. Probably always higher tech than pres marks, but I don't recall.

So anywho, she may not have come out of nowhere, nor been on the benefitting end of some silly vast NA conspiracy to keep Russia down but I do seem to recall her as a solid 5th-2nd type skater with 5.7 type marks, not an OGM contender.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast