vCash

Amanda Evora invited to U.S. State Dept. Luncheon honoring Philippines President

First the Kween, then the Shibutanis, and now...

‏@SarahandDrew tweeted earlier this week:
    "Thrilling! @Amanda_Evora will be attending a State Department lunch in Washington on Friday, in honor of President Aquino."

From an Embassy of the Philippines D.C. press release:
    President Benigno S. Aquino III [will] be feted at a luncheon hosted by Secretary of State Hillary Clinton at the State Department [on Friday, June 8, 2012].
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    So happy for her ... she must be thrilled. I take it that she is of Filipino ancestry?

Tranquillo
    vCash
    What a nice honor, and she has certainly always been a great representative for the sport and country. I'm very happy for her.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    Go Amanda!

vCash
    Good for Amanda!

vCash
    What a great honor for her!

vCash
    Too bad she and Mark didn't try to skate for Phillipines, back in the day...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by attyfan View Post
    So happy for her ... she must be thrilled. I take it that she is of Filipino ancestry?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    Too bad she and Mark didn't try to skate for Phillipines, back in the day...
    Why would they have wanted to do that? They've both always seem proud to represent the USA and making the 2010 Olympic team was a crowning achievement in their career.

I hope we fans will be able to hear something about Amanda's experience at today's luncheon.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 06-08-2012 at 04:58 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    congrats to Amanda Evora, good honor,

vCash
    Nice honor for Amanda. Any photos?

vCash
    This is what we get for having a Secretary of State who is also a figure skating fan!

Go Team SW Florida! =)
    At Great American Ballpark cheering on my Cincinnati Reds
    vCash
    I'm so proud of and excited for her! If I happen to see any photos from the event I'll be sure to pass them along for you guys (with permission of course, LOL).
    An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

"I guess I'm just...I'm not used to someone putting me first." -Emma, Once Upon a Time, episode 2x3, Lady of the Lake

vCash
    Aquino is probably one of the worst Phil President.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by riveredge View Post
    Aquino is probably one of the worst Phil President.
    That subject has nothing to do with what we are discussing here.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC View Post
    I'm so proud of and excited for her! If I happen to see any photos from the event I'll be sure to pass them along for you guys (with permission of course, LOL).
    Thanks, HeatherC!

ETA: I found a photo of Amanda online! Scroll down: http://anythingdiz.livejournal.com/6790607.html

‏@SarahandDrew tweeted:
    "Blog about @Amanda_Evora at the State Dept. coming soon, with pics!"
    Last edited by Sylvia; 06-10-2012 at 07:01 PM.

vCash

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    That subject has nothing to do with what we are discussing here.

Go Team SW Florida! =)
    At Great American Ballpark cheering on my Cincinnati Reds
    vCash
    Thanks for the pic Sylvia!!
    An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

"I guess I'm just...I'm not used to someone putting me first." -Emma, Once Upon a Time, episode 2x3, Lady of the Lake

vCash
    "Evora's extraordinary lunch": http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    Excerpts:
    "This was one of my first events on my own," she said. "It was different for me to be traveling by myself and being out of my element. I'm so used to being around skating people. I wasn't sure what would be expected of me. I asked them for a description of what would take place during the luncheon. They wrote back and said, 'You'll be in business attire; we'll tell you when to stand up and when to toast.'"
    "I never realized how prominent I was as a Filipino-American in the Winter Olympics. They had watched me skate and said they remembered me! The people who traveled from the Philippines were very interested in meeting me.

"Not everyone got to meet President Aquino and shake his hand, but I got to," she said. "I met a lot of people who wanted to take a picture with me."
    Last edited by Sylvia; 06-12-2012 at 05:59 PM.

vCash
    It is so great to see skaters being included in such events. In many so many instances, though not all, skaters make wonderful ambassadors for their sport and it is positive that this is being recognized outside of the skating world.