Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Banned Member
    vCash
    It is Texas. The letter of the law and not the spirit of the law. I wish she could afford an attorney and have the case moved to SA, Austin, Dallas, or Houston. A jury would dismiss it. What is the purpose of giving an honors student whose parents abandoned her a criminal record, when all she was trying to do was work to keep afloat? It sounds unbelievable, but like I said, Texas is a backassward state. Fortunately the four big cities lean more moderate and usually go blue during elections. The rest is just hicksville and I think the only television channel they get is Faux News.
    I will not be ignored! -Me

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    I'm pretty sure that she can overcome a criminal record under these circumstances. College? Jobs? Just provide the news reports and they'll probably overlook it. Not to say what happened to her is right and she's probably still having a rough time but the criminal record is probably not a factor in her future.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Forrest View Post
    It is Texas. The letter of the law and not the spirit of the law. I wish she could afford an attorney and have the case moved to SA, Austin, Dallas, or Houston. A jury would dismiss it. What is the purpose of giving an honors student whose parents abandoned her a criminal record, when all she was trying to do was work to keep afloat? It sounds unbelievable, but like I said, Texas is a backassward state. Fortunately the four big cities lean more moderate and usually go blue during elections. The rest is just hicksville and I think the only television channel they get is Faux News.
    Diane lives in Montgomery County which is where Houston is located. And BTW the Dail Mail which is where this story originated is Faux News. There are too many discrepancies in this story to just blindly swallow every detail. Starting with her older brother who is allowing her to be the main breadwinner for him. Yeah, that sounds real plausible for a young man who is bright enough to get into Texas A&M.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    Diane lives in Montgomery County which is where Houston is located. And BTW the Dail Mail which is where this story originated is Faux News. There are too many discrepancies in this story to just blindly swallow every detail. Starting with her older brother who is allowing her to be the main breadwinner for him. Yeah, that sounds real plausible for a young man who is bright enough to get into Texas A&M.
    Plenty of smart people pull scams to get/stay ahead. Maybe he's bright and a bit of a jerk, who knows?
    "How you treat the weak is
    Your true nature calling" -- Jane's Addiction

Sexy Superhero
    vCash
    Yeah, that sounds real plausible for a young man who is bright enough to get into Texas A&M.
    And maybe he is bright enough to realize that he will flunk out of A&M if he is working fulltime, but will be able to find a great job and support both of his sisters if he graduates with good grades. In return for his sister helping him get through university now, he'll be able to return the favor and get her through university later.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    And maybe he is bright enough to realize that he will flunk out of A&M if he is working fulltime, but will be able to find a great job and support both of his sisters if he graduates with good grades. In return for his sister helping him get through university now, he'll be able to return the favor and get her through university later.
    Yup. It's not at all uncommon in immigrant families for siblings to be expected to help support other siblings in college. The sibling in college is supposed to focus on studying and getting top grades, so that after graduation, the favor can be returned.

It is unusual, however, for the parents to completely duck out on responsibility.

While the story may first been reported in The Daily Mail, it's also been covered by local news and at least partially confirmed. There probably is more to the story than what is being reported; there usually is. But that doesn't mean the basic facts are wrong.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    Yup. It's not at all uncommon in immigrant families for siblings to be expected to help support other siblings in college. The sibling in college is supposed to focus on studying and getting top grades, so that after graduation, the favor can be returned.
    Is it an immigrant family? Seems strange that so many details are lacking since this is such a news story. It was covered on CNN this morning but nothing more than was in the original report.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Well, the story was picked up by the local news KHOU. They even interviewed the judge, who would be anyone's worst nightmare if you showed up in front of him. Basically his feeling is "You did the crime, do the time". He put absolutely no thought behind the case, and even said something like "If she goes free why shouldn't everyone else then?". Well, she's keeping up her grades, is WORKING to stay afloat, and is not just skipping to drink or smoke weed with her friends. Maybe as a JUDGE, he should judge the situation and realize that 'crime' does not always equal punishment. But it's just Texas. Crime equals mandatory punishment. The one good thing is that this story has caught on, she is getting donations, and hopefully this will help her, more than jail time and a criminal record. The judge is exactly what you would expect. He's stupid, uses no logic, and is just a good ole boy. It probably doesn't help Miss Tran that she's a minority, that doesn't go over very well in these parts either.

Also, taf, Houston is in Harris County. Montgomery County is Conroe area which is north of Houston, and very redneck.

ETA: More investigation into this matter. The 'judge' is only a high school graduate. He was simply elected as a justice of the peace in 2003. Apparently that works fine and dandy in Willis Texas. Typical Texas. He was interviewed by local news and he came across as clueless and stupid, which made me look into his education, since he didn't seem to have a grasp of the law or logic. So of course, no law school, no college. Amazing.
    Last edited by Alex Forrest; 05-29-2012 at 06:21 AM.

vCash
    I have a few questions about the story and it does seem like there is much, much more to the story. I'm not saying that there isn't a bit of truth in the story, but it seems rather outrageous to be completely true

Isn't the age of majority in Texas age 18? And that if she was living at home without adult/parental supervision, the CPS services would become aware of the situation as soon as the story went live. And while she could conceivable be an emancipated minor, being responsible for her sibs is not allowed under the law as I understand it. Disclaimer - I am not a lawyer, nor am I well versed in the laws of majority.

If the parents did leave without any contact or leaving an adult supervising the family, the family would be in foster care as soon as the abandonment was discovered.

If the teen is working 2 jobs just to make ends meet - someone (friends or others) had to know that she was working to pay the bills, etc. I can not imagine that she would be able to hide the fact that her parents have gone AWOL leaving her to cope with the family situation.

Wouldn't her arrest records be sealed at the time that she is 18 and therefore not be disclosed, especially for such a minor infraction? The minor infraction should not affect entrance into colleges or even medical school.

It is feasible that the school was making a point when asking the "judge" to administer the sentence to the highest level. But even at that someone should have done an investigation and make serious attempts to reach parents. At that time they should have discovered the lack of parent presence in this teen's life and deal with that situation prior to the sentence for truancy.

Yes - Texas is known for some of it's harsh punishment and carrying out the laws to the fullest extent, but to say "it happened in Texas, would have never happened in any other state is a bit " We do not know the whole story here.

vCash
    And what adult relatives would require a 17 yr old to send them money for her sister? I believe she may be sending her sister money for clothes & other needs but I doubt she's supporting her.
    Drunks or addicts. Not saying that these people are either, but this sort of thing happened to a friend of mine when she was in high school. Not all adults are mature and responsible and this is not unheard of.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bev Johnston View Post
    Drunks or addicts. Not saying that these people are either, but this sort of thing happened to a friend of mine when she was in high school. Not all adults are mature and responsible and this is not unheard of.
    Its also not unheard of for decent people to be unable to take in relatives without some financial help. In CA, for example, they changed the law so eligible people who provided foster care for young relatives could get the same stipend that would be paid to strangers who did the same job ... the law was changed because there were too many cases of kids being put with strangers because otherwise eligible relatives couldn't afford to take them in.

OmnipresentAdmeanistrator
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    While the story may first been reported in The Daily Mail, it's also been covered by local news and at least partially confirmed. There probably is more to the story than what is being reported; there usually is. But that doesn't mean the basic facts are wrong.
    Daily Mail posts a lot of news stories that are later picked up by mainstream media. I've wondered about that. Do they all have the same sources but DM gets the news faster, or the mainstream media just copy the stories from DM with or without fact-checking them? Because they are basically the same stories.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

Banned Member
    vCash
    Thank goodness. I donated $1000 into her account, and I'm glad she's getting even more help elsewhere. Hopefully she can just work weekends with all the support she's getting.

When I go on other sites and see her being bashed ('the law is the law and she was warned so she needed to go to jail') I remember how I was at 16/17. I had two parents, my own car, a beautiful home to come home to, money for anything. Imagine having NOTHING. No parents, no home, no car, no money. So she works, and works. And maintains her grades. And some idiot JOP hands her a jail sentence to make an example out of her???

I've been in touch with several attorneys in Houston that are taking up her cause. Hopefully this will be erased, though with the internet, nothing is ever erased. And from what I have been told, the family situation is very troubled. It's not like you can drag those parents into court. Since she is a minor, it is just hell that she has to deal with this.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Forrest View Post
    Thank goodness. I donated $1000 into her account, and I'm glad she's getting even more help elsewhere. Hopefully she can just work weekends with all the support she's getting.

When I go on other sites and see her being bashed ('the law is the law and she was warned so she needed to go to jail') I remember how I was at 16/17. I had two parents, my own car, a beautiful home to come home to, money for anything. Imagine having NOTHING. No parents, no home, no car, no money. So she works, and works. And maintains her grades. And some idiot JOP hands her a jail sentence to make an example out of her???

I've been in touch with several attorneys in Houston that are taking up her cause. Hopefully this will be erased, though with the internet, nothing is ever erased. And from what I have been told, the family situation is very troubled. It's not like you can drag those parents into court. Since she is a minor, it is just hell that she has to deal with this.
    How generous and thoughtful of you!
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nubka View Post
    How generous and thoughtful of you!
    Definitely!
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

Tranquillo
    vCash
    According to this article, the girl doesn't want to accept the money, saying there are others who need it more. Also, her lawyer claims he's met with the judge and he'll reverse the decision, and clear her record.

vCash
    As a person who lives in the Houston area, Houston is in Harris County, not Montgomery. Just an FYI.

vCash
    Yes, Alex already pointed that out. I live in north Texas so I didnt' know where Montgomery county was. I googled it & the link I looked at said the Houston area. So I didn't realize that Houston was in a different county. I used to know the counties & the major cities in each but it's been a long time since elementary school.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Here's a nice inspirational story about another teen working hard to make her dreams come true. It's really great to see how the school and community rallied around this young lady to support her in her efforts to make something of her life.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast