Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

vCash

Unhappy This 17 Year-Old Girl Needs a Helping Hand...

This made me so sad reading this. Her parents suddenly divorced and left the kids. Now this 17 year-old girl is working two jobs, and trying to make good grades at school. Sometimes she misses school because of her jobs. How awful that she had to spend a night in jail, and be slapped with a fine for truancy.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...rt-family.html

If you scroll down to the comments, someone has listed the address of her workplace, for those that might want to help her with expenses.
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    Her parents are the ones who should be jailed.

vCash
    Where's Social Services?

Beach Bum
    vCash
    What in the world? The law cited says she needs parental consent to skip school, but both parents have skipped out? Yes they should be jailed. And why has a guardian not been appointed?
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    why is the older brother in college still depending on his younger sister for support?

But this girl is clearly working hard, and I'm sure this exposure wil help her get the assistance she needs.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    Sorry, but this sounds like a scam to me. It is the Daily Mail after all.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Don't know where the original story came from, but it's being reported in other news sources as well.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Doesn't sound like a scam to me but not everything adds up. The Mail story says her younger sister is living with relatives, CBS Atlanta says Tran is supporting her. Where is Diane living?
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    Doesn't sound like a scam to me but not everything adds up. The Mail story says her younger sister is living with relatives, CBS Atlanta says Tran is supporting her. Where is Diane living?
    I read/heard somewhere earlier that she's living with one of her bosses from work. I'll try to find the source again and post a link.

And who knows. Perhaps the relatives that took in the sister aren't particularly well off and need Diane to contribute financially to the care of her sister, or maybe Diane just feels obligated to do so.

vCash
    One thing that struck me is that it says she is supporting her 2 siblings but then it says her brother is in college & her sister is with relatives. It sounds like she is supporting herself, which would be hard for a kid. But there is no way she is making Texas A&M possible for her brother even if he has a scholarship. The living expenses plus lab fees & books would be way more than a minimum wage person could afford. He must have student loans for that or maybe he's working too.

And what adult relatives would require a 17 yr old to send them money for her sister? I believe she may be sending her sister money for clothes & other needs but I doubt she's supporting her.

Some of the details are iffy like she stays up till 7am studying. Does she sleep from 7am to 8am & then go to school at 8:30? And why would she stay up so late? Dry cleaners close at 7pm here in the Dallas/Fort Worth area.

Sometimes when kids get abandoned they don't tell anyone for fear they will be separated. But all 3 kids are living apart anyway so that doesn't make sense. The article doesn't say she's living with her boss, but her relatives apparently know what's going on. What really makes me wonder is why would a British rag be the one to break the story? (Apparently the other newpaper is just copying it.) It just doesn't add up.

vCash
    It sounds strange to me that she would go to jail for truancy. Unless things have changed, in most states you are only legally required to attend school up until age 16. I can see the school requiring notes from parents to keep them involved, but if the parents don't want to be involved, what is the point? It is legal for a 17 year old to live on their own (foster children are emancipated at that age).

Banned Member
    vCash
    I don't believe this is a scam. Texas is a world unto itself, especially with Rick Perry as guvner. Texas is only about the letter of the law, and not the spirit of the law. Perry was just raked over the coals because he refused to consider stopping the execution of an INNOCENT man. DNA cleared him. Barry Scheck of the Innocence Project was heavily involved. Perry was just like "Well, in Texas we have laws and we stick to them. He was found guilty and that's all I need to know". So, no, this is Texas we are talking about. However, I thought once you turn 16 or 17 you can drop out of school. Was it that she continued to stay in school the grounds for truancy? It wasn't like she just skipped to smoke dope and drink with her friends. Maybe she should have worked out a schedule with the school district where she'd get credit for having a FULL time and part time job, I know when I was in HS they did that for those needing to work. Very sad, but Texas is still backasswards. Not surprising in the least.
    I will not be ignored! -Me

vCash
    Thanks for denigrating my state. Where are you from so I can have equal time? Rick Perry is not representative of the people I know. I agree he is an inbred redneck idiot but not all Texans are like that. And if Texas is so backassward, why do students come here from all over the US to go to medical schools?

This kid may have been abandoned by her parents but the rest of the story sounds fishy. It just doesn't add up.

vCash
    http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.1085027

Here is a video. It's not that unusual of a situation - my son has known many 17-18 year olds in high school who have had family leave them. Sometimes they are left with relatives who don't want them so they find other couches to sleep on. We are talking honors kids - good kids - it's the families who have problems.

it is very important for them to declare abandonment - their families won't fill out college financial aid paperwork or supply tax info.

Many kids are in college with my son who sleep in cars or in rooms unnoticed by school security. They get up and shower in the gym. They get money for aid and books but not much else.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Forrest View Post
    However, I thought once you turn 16 or 17 you can drop out of school. Was it that she continued to stay in school the grounds for truancy?
    Kind of. In Texas, you can't legally drop out until 18, and if you remain in public school after turning 18, you're still subject to truancy laws until you graduate of officially withdraw. There are some exceptions where at 16 one can withdraw and do a GED or job training program, but that usually requires the consent of a parent/guardian or some other special circumstance. In any case, they have to go through all the paperwork and process. They can't just stop showing up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    And if Texas is so backassward, why do students come here from all over the US to go to medical schools?
    Well, that would be because in Texas, grades from more than 10 years old are not factored in to medical school applications.

EDIT: I would like to clarify that I'm sure the medical schools there are good.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    Thanks for denigrating my state. Where are you from so I can have equal time? Rick Perry is not representative of the people I know. I agree he is an inbred redneck idiot but not all Texans are like that. And if Texas is so backassward, why do students come here from all over the US to go to medical schools?
    I live in Texas and have for almost 30 years.

Funny you would mention medical schools in Texas. A close friend of mind is an Assistant Professor in OB/GYN at one of those universities. She was asked to speak to high school students in one of the cities with the highest teen pregnancy and gonorrhea/chlamydia rates in the state and probably the country. She prepared a powerpoint on teen pregnancy and STI's and safer sex and birth control. The school was horrified and told her she could only speak about abstinence as the only way to cut down on these matters. My friend said "What in the world? Don't you want to help these young girls? As a physician, it is my responsibility to educate them". No sale. Her lecturing circuit lasted only one appearance. I'm surprised Rick Perry hasn't tried to change the curricula for med students. I think I know of what I am speaking.
    Last edited by Alex Forrest; 05-27-2012 at 07:15 AM.
    I will not be ignored! -Me

vCash
    I understand that the parents abandoned the kids-- why aren't they in jail for that and for not paying support for their kids?
    Beefcake's fancy, saccharine, artsy, drag bingo cliche effusing, bipolar, OTT fashionista manchild

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayar View Post
    I understand that the parents abandoned the kids-- why aren't they in jail for that and for not paying support for their kids?
    I think and even more pertinent question is "Where the hell are they anyway?" None of the articles I've seen mention that, except to say that they "moved away." That's probably the strangest thing of all.

vCash
    Regardless of her situation - Texas sends kids to JAIL for missing school? WTF?

Like kids who have a lot of trouble in school needs a criminal record on top of it - way to set young people up for failure!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast