7 14.00%
  • Yu/Jin

2 4.00%
  • Wende/Wende

2 4.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.

vCash

2014 GP Pairs Final Early Prediction

Which 6 will make the final? For now I chose to leave off Denney/Coughlin and Berton/Hotarek, Kavaguti/Smirnov, and baby Russians, but if they are competing they could also be factors...also Bazarova/Deputat, Moore-Towers/Marinaro, Leng/Shnapir could compete, but they are new so I'll give them time to gel, and several of the other teams will have country issues right now preventing them from competing- Lyubov/Moscovitch, Castelli/Tran, Savchenko/Massot, Zabijako/Larionov...
    Last edited by haribobo; 06-13-2014 at 04:32 AM.

vCash
    I voted the first six, but it might be J/C instead of A/M, or someone else could sneak in there for that last spot if those teams don't skate well.

vCash
    I think Duhamel/Radford and Stolbova/Klimov will be world frontrunners this season, and hope they duke it out at worlds for the title. Both pairs are amazing!

vCash
    I havent heard anything about V&T retiring. Until V&T retire I am quite sure that D&R atleast will never be in serious contention for gold at a major event.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cbd1235 View Post
    I think Duhamel/Radford and Stolbova/Klimov will be world frontrunners this season, and hope they duke it out at worlds for the title. Both pairs are amazing!
    What judgejudy27 wrote. Also see below.

Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    I havent heard anything about V&T retiring. Until V&T retire I am quite sure that D&R atleast will never be in serious contention for gold at a major event.
    They are not retiring. In the most recent interview which was posted at the Great Skate Debate in 'From Russia with love' thread (http://www.figureskating-online.com/...r-trankov.html) they said this:
    Tatiana: We decided to continue for another four years, maybe not for full seasons, we’ll see. We might sit out a European or World Championship, this is not yet confirmed in our plans. The spectators have not seen much of us, our pair is only four years old. Therefore we still want to make people happy with our skating.
    Maxim: And a lot of pairs split up that the audience just started to like. If we had stopped pair skating probably would have started its history from scratch. So we decided to stay in and skate.

vCash
    This poll really puts into perspective how badly pairs is lacking in depth compared to the other 3 disciplines these days.

vCash
    What is your guess for the number of pairs skaters in the world, total? Less than 200? Less than 100? It is a pretty small sport.
    What would Jenny do?

vCash
    Volosozhar & Trankov will easily win worlds in 2015. Then they might take a break and others might have a shot, or maybe not. We will have to see.

vCash
    There will be atleast 1 U.S team in the final I think. The Chinese pairs are overrated. Duhamel & Radford are old and will start to fall down the rankings.

vCash
    I thought based on stuff I'd read a while ago that V/T weren't going to be around for this season then they'd come back. Clearly that's changed.

Obviously D/R and S/K aren't going to be duking it out for gold, as I'd posted, with V/T around. They're on another level than any other pair team...

Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    This poll really puts into perspective how badly pairs is lacking in depth compared to the other 3 disciplines these days.
    Yup! You said it.

vCash
    I think S&K can challenge V&T. D&R can maybe challenge S&K but are not yet able to challenge V&T barring big improvements. In the Team competition at the Games their clean short was 12 points lower than V&T, even with a higher base value. I know that sounds a bit contradictory but it really isnt, just because S&K can challenge V&T possibly, and D&R challenge S&K possibly doesnt mean D&R can compete with V&T. It is like Suguri was a threat to Cohen, and Cohen was a big threat to Kwan, but Suguri was still no threat to Kwan.

vCash
    With Volosozhar & Trankov, Stolbova & Klimov, and some up and coming Chinese and Russian pairs, Duhamel & Radford will be happy to even repeat their bronze from the last 2 worlds.

vCash
    Wow the pairs field is rubbish. I cant even think of more than 3 or 4 teams who even deserve to be in the grand prix final.