Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Visaliakid View Post
    Electing another corrupt cheater to head the sport will further damage the credibility of the sport. ISU member organizations it would appear are mired with a total lack of courage and conviction to fight for the future of the sport. They are all afraid to be blackballed from the ISU by these same good-old-boys, thereby losing the ability for their skaters to compete internationally. The United States Figure Skating Association and Skate Canada have for years have failed to take an active role in the governance of the sport because of this fear. Look where that has taken the sport. Just more corruption, cheating, blackballing and scandal. How's that been?
    You are not as informed as you profess to be: Skate Canada and US Figure Skating concieved and developed the Grand Prix series. US Figure Skating and Skate Canada has been very successful at electing members to Technical Commitees and the Council. Thse are truly leadership positions. It I obvious that the writer above has never been to an ISU Congress and seen Skate Canada and US Figure Skating in action.
    Morry Stillwell

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    I beg to differ. Both very stuck in the mud about how much better things were in ye olden days.
    I agree, and IIRC there were a number of complaints, letters etc. from judges and officials ,and not all Russian or even necessarily pro-Russian,concerning the way Sally Stapleford had been handling herself as head of the tech committee prior to SLC . She had bias and ulterior motives same as everyone else, IMHO

vCash
    I've no idea if Gailhaguet would make a good president for the ISU relative to others. From a PR point, I can't imagine this would be a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Visaliakid View Post
    The United States Figure Skating Association and Skate Canada have for years have failed to take an active role in the governance of the sport because of this fear. Look where that has taken the sport. Just more corruption, cheating, blackballing and scandal. How's that been?
    I wasn't aware that David Dore has renounced his citizenship. And the argument that only Europeans are involved in politikking is laughable.

vCash
    At the end of the day people have to want the job. Whilst I understand the concerns, if no-one else wants to do it, then there is not much choice.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    At least, we wouldn't have him as FFSG president anymore. And I think he would be better as ISU president than FFSG president.
    And thinking Guaillaguet was the only one who cheated during and before SLC makes me . They just had to find somebody to put the blame on him. The methods he's using, every others federations used them too. Thinking it's over now is even funnier. And Stappleford is not better for mentaly pressuring Le Gougne during and after the event.
    It's not that I like him, not at all in fact, but at least he knows figure skating and has a true vision for the sport. Unlike some others who just wanted to see their countrymen on podiums. He tried things as figure skating vice president, two LP at GPF for exemple ; in order to try to make skaters creating more than one LP per season an thus making FS more exciting for audiences (yes it failed...)
    Too bad Lawrence Demmy wasn't elected in 1994. Ice dancing would have survived !

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    On the season finale of the Walking Dead, I saw one zombie who looked shockingly like Cinquanta. I fear he may never go away...

It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Sonia Bianchetti and Sally Ann Stapleford both would have been excellent ISU presidents. Their not being "electable" has more to do with the ISU than it does with them.
    I dont really have an opinion one way or the other on Stapleford but Bianchetti would be a horrible choice. One just has to read her blog postings to see how incredibly biased and out of touch with current skating she is. She is as laughable a choice as say making that Jon Jackson judge the new ISU president. Furthermore when she part of the ISU she was frequently involved in many of the politic deals and corruption that she now condemns making her a hypocrite.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nours View Post
    At least, we wouldn't have him as FFSG president anymore. And I think he would be better as ISU president than FFSG president.
    And thinking Guaillaguet was the only one who cheated during and before SLC makes me . They just had to find somebody to put the blame on him. The methods he's using, every others federations used them too. Thinking it's over now is even funnier. And Stappleford is not better for mentaly pressuring Le Gougne during and after the event.
    It's not that I like him, not at all in fact, but at least he knows figure skating and has a true vision for the sport. Unlike some others who just wanted to see their countrymen on podiums. He tried things as figure skating vice president, two LP at GPF for exemple ; in order to try to make skaters creating more than one LP per season an thus making FS more exciting for audiences (yes it failed...)
    Too bad Lawrence Demmy wasn't elected in 1994. Ice dancing would have survived !
    I agree, he isnt the ideal choice but as others have said there are few other viable candidates at the moment unfortunately. I do think he would do a better job as ISU president than his current post. Seeing many of his comments over the years he is merely a realist who understands all the unwritten rules of the sport and all its dirty little secrets, rather than living in a fantasy World and prentending they dont exist or even being a self righteous westener who pretends only the Eastern European block exists or gets involved in deal making (ROTFL).

One thing I do believe is he knows how to make things interesting and lord knows the sport needs that badly, especialy in North America. Even with the success of North American skaters in recent years, atleast in mens and dance, there is next to zero interest in the sport in this part of the World now. All that is left is the almost dead Stars on Ice tour, only Nationals or Worlds are televised by any of the major networks (and even then barely not). To watch skating for those of us who want we are forced to dig up crummy online feeds somewhere. North Americans would probably even welcome another scandal, even one with them as either the real or perceived victims, then things as they are.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    On the season finale of the Walking Dead, I saw one zombie who looked shockingly like Cinquanta. I fear he may never go away...

Funniest post I have read in a while! Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12