Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Duets, Season 1

vCash
    Just tuning in in time to see Jen/Jon. What'd I miss?

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Great show. Jennifer Nettles and Kelly Clarkson better duet before the show is over. I will be so pissed if they never pair them up. Two women and two men can still do great duets, it doesn't have to always be a man/woman combo.

If you are voting for Jon or Jason, please pay close attention to their numbers. Jon went 3rd in the lineup but his number ends with 5004 and Jason went 4th but his number is the 5003. This will only affect phone voting but it was a really odd choice to do that. I am sure plenty of people will call the wrong number.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbell1 View Post
    Can we vote off the host?
    He hasn't bothered me...until tonight. He was not very good at the live elimination, at all. They should just record that about an hour or so before the show and make it seem live then go live after they come back from break after the elimination. It was a little awkward. If they did record it a little before then shame on them for keeping it so weird. Ryan Seacrest really is good at what he does, even if he can be annoying.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Show's starting. Does anyone still give a damn?

Stars sound great opening the show with The Temptations' "Get Ready." Love this song. Not sure of the reason for the awkward lyric changes.

ETA: Jason sent to safety and Bridget in bottom 2, joined by John. JRome safe.

Bridget gone. I'll actually miss her.

JRome doing "Breakeven." This song needs to be shot and buried in a mass grave with "Rolling In The Deep" and everything by Beyonce. He's magnificent though. He really can sing anything.

Jason doing "Me and Mrs. Jones." Love the suit. Decent performance. I have to give him credit for improving each week.

John doing "The Prayer." Another tune that deserves the firing squad. He does well though, hopefully well enough to stay.

Solo performances up next.

JRome: "Signed, Sealed, Delivered." Hot!
    John: "God Bless the Broken Road." Beautiful.
    Jason: "Runaway Baby." Awkward.
    Last edited by LuckyCharm; 07-13-2012 at 02:03 AM.

vCash
    I am so glad Jason is still in it and looking like he has a shot to make the final 2!

The format of this show is so awkward. I am not sure why solo performances are being voted on in a show called Duets.

I can't believe this is the final night of voting. That seems rather...sudden. I was hoping it would go to a Final 2 and then those performances would be what decides the winner.

I do think Jason could finish 2nd based on tonight. John was rather lackluster even though his solo was nice. Jason brought the house down and was really smart to chose a final song that didn't rely on vocals. I didn't find it awkward but maybe because I am used to his awkwardness now.
    Last edited by BigB08822; 07-13-2012 at 04:34 AM.
    -Brian

vCash
    Can't believe that Jason is still standing. He still pales in comparison to the other 2. Who has been voting for him??? He's not even that good looking or cute, just average. But I guess compared to the other 2, I guess he's considered the slightly more attractive of the 3. Is he the Nikki McKibbin of Duets? He better not win.

vCash
    He is not nearly that bad. His tone is my favorite of anyone on the show, he just has the most work to do. His potential is greater than anyone, vocally, IMO. I have been voting for him because I wanted to continue hearing Kelly sing every week. Plain and simple. So have MANY of her other fans. It is just another problem with the format of the show. Perhaps it would be a little more fair if the contestants alternated through the superstars?
    -Brian

vCash
    The finale is tonight. I am cheering on J Rome for the win but wouldn't be horribly upset if Jason won just because Kelly Clarkson is his mentor.

Starts in 30 minutes, anyone going to watch?
    -Brian

vCash
    I'm taking a break from obsessive Olympic speculation to watch. I wonder why the earlier eliminated people don't get to perform. Could they really not make time for that? On the AI finale, it's like every person who competed on the show ever gets to perform.

vCash
    Not too shocked at J.Rome winning. He's had it in the bag since week one.

Wonder if it'll come back next season?

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    jennifer and john singing for good made my year
    now i just need to kidnap jennifer a la misery and get her to record something other than country music
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    jennifer and john singing for good made my year
    now i just need to kidnap jennifer a la misery and get her to record something other than country music
    I don't like Sugarland's music, but I do think Jennifer has a great voice and she's very likeable.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbell1 View Post
    Wonder if it'll come back next season?
    Doubt it. The ratings were terrible.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    The ratings actually weren't terrible. It was always a solid 2nd place in total viewers. It did suffer in the 18-49 demo that is so key but it actually slightly improved once they went to live shows and then held steady.

You have to remember this is a summer show and those types of ratings are not as doom and gloom as they are for the shows that run in the fall.

I have no idea if it will come back for a 2nd season but if it doesn't, I don't think ratings will have been the key factor. It will probably be more about the fact the the format needs some major re-hauling and they would have to renegotiate with the Superstars or find new ones. There is a ton of ways the show could go and I think part of the reason that it suffered is because it has no real identity, IMO.
    -Brian

vCash
    Found this video of Kelly's best belts during the show. They are labeled and go up as the video goes along. I always love these kinds of videos from many artists:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DVZa...layer_embedded
    -Brian

vCash
    The show seemed like it was trying to "piggyback" on the success of "The Voice".
    A poor imitation, IMO.

If it returns, they need another host!

vCash
    Yes, definitely a different host.

I also think they need to rework how the show is run. I don't like the first few eliminations being done by judges. If they need to start with a few taped shows then have each judge pick 4 contestants and have two weeks of eliminations where each judge is forced to narrow down their own contestants to 2. Then go to the live shows where America votes. It would be similar to a semifinal round, of sorts.

The other problem I have is giving solos such a big place in a show called Duets. When a contestant was up for elimination in the early rounds, they had to sing solo. What was the very last thing each contestant did before the last voting? They sang a solo. Why would the solo performance be THE last thing? That just gives the show an identity crisis.
    -Brian

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345