vCash

Question about 4G and WiFi

If you are traveling to an area that has poor wifi reception but have a 4G cellphone, will the 4G be enough to allow you to view emails etc on your cellphone or do you need the wifi to be there too?

vCash
    I'm confused. Wifi is strictly local to the network you're connecting to. For example, if I connect to the wifi at Panera, it will be a completely different wifi at the Starbucks and I will need to reconnect. Wifi is either there or is not.

If you're talking about an area with poor cell PHONE reception, yes the 4G is different. Go to the carrier's DATA coverage map and see if your phone will be able to use the signal where you're going.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

...an acquired taste
    vCash
    If you are talking about international travel, be very careful with data roaming. Unless you have an special international data plan, the 4G charges can be astonomical.
    Last edited by mikey; 07-22-2012 at 11:52 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judiz View Post
    If you are traveling to an area that has poor wifi reception but have a 4G cellphone, will the 4G be enough to allow you to view emails etc on your cellphone or do you need the wifi to be there too?
    Yes. If you have only 4G reception, you would be able to view emails (and other data/web content).