Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Congratulations, Anderson Cooper!

While not anything more than an open secret for years, Anderson finally made it official.

vCash
    Yes. I saw that. I think he officially came out to Andrew Sullivan?

vCash
    If you read the statement, I don't think he wants congratulated. I really liked his statement. He regards it as just a fact. We need, as a society, to get to the point where someone's homosexuality is just another fact about him or her in the same way the heterosexuality is.

vCash
    Worst kept secret in journalism! But I'm very happy for him and will congratulate him not for coming out, but for finding the courage to do so.

vCash
    ^^^
    Couldn't agree more, PDillema!

I hope we reach that point in the US.
    It hasn't been very long since openly discussing these matters could "ruin" a career.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazpacho View Post
    Worst kept secret in journalism! But I'm very happy for him and will congratulate him not for coming out, but for finding the courage to do so.
    I don't think he regards this as coming out, either, or as an "act of courage". He says he has always been open about it to friends, family and co-workers. If you haven't read his statement, do so.

Link:

http://andrewsullivan.thedailybeast....is-im-gay.html

OmnipresentAdmeanistrator
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazpacho View Post
    Like someone else said, you need to read his email in full.

It wasn't really a secret. I don't think he considers it coming out or the writing of the email courageous. He didn't think it mattered for him to publicly announce his sexual orientation before, now he thinks it might in the "stand up and be counted" kind of way. That's pretty much it.

I've always believed that who a reporter votes for, what religion they are, who they love, should not be something they have to discuss publicly. [...]

Recently, however, I’ve begun to consider whether the unintended outcomes of maintaining my privacy outweigh personal and professional principle. It’s become clear to me that by remaining silent on certain aspects of my personal life for so long, I have given some the mistaken impression that I am trying to hide something - something that makes me uncomfortable, ashamed or even afraid. This is distressing because it is simply not true.
    I’ve also been reminded recently that while as a society we are moving toward greater inclusion and equality for all people, the tide of history only advances when people make themselves fully visible. There continue to be far too many incidences of bullying of young people, as well as discrimination and violence against people of all ages, based on their sexual orientation, and I believe there is value in making clear where I stand. [...]

I have always been very open and honest about this part of my life with my friends, my family, and my colleagues. In a perfect world, I don't think it's anyone else's business, but I do think there is value in standing up and being counted. I’m not an activist, but I am a human being and I don't give that up by being a journalist.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    If you read the statement, I don't think he wants congratulated. I really liked his statement. He regards it as just a fact. We need, as a society, to get to the point where someone's homosexuality is just another fact about him or her in the same way the heterosexuality is.
    well said!

It really kind of pisses me off that we can't just be gay but have to make a big deal out of it. If I live to see the day we don't I will be happy.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post
    well said!

It really kind of pisses me off that we can't just be gay but have to make a big deal out of it. If I live to see the day we don't I will be happy.
    I hope so. Because I never had to announce to friends and family or anyone else that I am straight. Maybe a time will come when kids will grow up, hit dating age and just date who they are attracted to whether it is same sex or opposite sex, without the trauma and announcements and all if it is same sex. And people in the public eye will have partners who are the same sex or opposite sex and there they will be on the red carpet or whatever and announcements and magazine covers won't be required for us to know if they are gay.

We can dream, can't we?

vCash
    I didn't realize he wasn't already out... I've never understood why it has to be announced (though I do understand why some might want to). I agree with PDilemma- I never had to announce I was straight.

An article about him coming out linked to this article: http://popwatch.ew.com/2012/06/20/th...ew-coming-out/
    I really liked this quote. Unless the person wants it to be a big deal, why does it need to be?
    But the news that The Big Bang Theory’s Emmy-winner Jim Parsons is gay was reported with such matter-of-fact understatement that many people’s first reaction was a quick Google search to see if maybe he was out already and we’d all just failed to notice.

vCash
    What a well written and intelligent e-mail from Anderson Cooper - I wish him well and hope he continues to grace the US TV screens for many years to come. When I resided in the US his reports were ones I enjoyed and looked forwards to hearing as he always reported in an intelligent and thoughtful manner. I hope he continues to love and be loved.

vCash
    I don't think he regards this as coming out, either, or as an "act of courage". He says he has always been open about it to friends, family and co-workers. If you haven't read his statement, do so.
    While I agree he has always been open to friends, family, and co-workers, I'm not so sure if he has always been nonchalant about it to the public. It gives the perception that he was hiding it some way or another, which is understandable working in a somewhat homophobic society and workplace.

As long as one needs to publicly announce one's sexual orientation, gay or straight, the secrecy was intended from the start, IMO. Again, I'm not blaming Cooper...it is just the reality in today's world, despite the progress we have made. Kudos to him though...I have always liked his style of journalism.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WindSpirit View Post
    It wasn't really a secret. I don't think he considers it coming out or the writing of the email courageous. He didn't think it mattered for him to publicly announce his sexual orientation before, now he thinks it might in the "stand up and be counted" kind of way. That's pretty much it.
    I agree that he doesn't think it's courageous, but I do think it takes courage to come out at a time when there is so much hatred toward gay people, and being openly gay still presents risks to one's career.

vCash
    I agree Gazpacho. There are some truly ugly, violent people around here and my gay friends tread carefully. I do think it is courageous. I think they are courageous too.

vCash
    I think his statement was wonderful.
    I hope I live to see the day when it doesn't matter to anyone if you are straight or gay, black, white, yellow, or red. Or what religion you are.
    Hmm I just reminded myself of John Lennon's IMAGINE.
    I wish that for the world.

vCash
    I never had to announce to friends and family or anyone else that I am straight.
    I regret it when anyone's private life - whatever their orientation - becomes fodder for speculation, gossip, or ridicule anywhere.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    We need, as a society, to get to the point where someone's homosexuality is just another fact about him or her in the same way the heterosexuality is.
    Hmmm. Interesting viewpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    I regret it when anyone's private life - whatever their orientation - becomes fodder for speculation, gossip, or ridicule anywhere.
    Then you will need to avoid the Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes are divorcing thread.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

Not summer :(
    vCash
    PDilemma Very well said!
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

OmnipresentAdmeanistrator
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fan123 View Post
    While I agree he has always been open to friends, family, and co-workers, I'm not so sure if he has always been nonchalant about it to the public. It gives the perception that he was hiding it some way or another, which is understandable working in a somewhat homophobic society and workplace.

As long as one needs to publicly announce one's sexual orientation, gay or straight, the secrecy was intended from the start, IMO.
    I completely disagree.

As a private person myself, I totally understand where he was coming from when he didn't feel like he needed to announce his sexual orientation to the whole world. It doesn't mean he was hiding it. In the famous words of David Hyde Pierce, "My life is an open book. Just don't expect me to read it to you."

I don't consider this his coming out, I consider it his spelling it out. Something that everyone already knew anyway. And those who didn't know probably never cared either way, and they still don't.

Thinking that he was being secretive and was hiding something because he didn't provide that piece of information about himself to the public implies that he owed us an explanation. He didn't. To the public his sexual orientation is completely irrelevant. It's only relevant to people in his private life and he did provide that tidbit about himself to them. And that's all he needed to do.

vCash
    I first saw Anderson Cooper when he was a reporter for Channel One News that we got at our high school. I've always liked him, and I thought Channel One did a better job reporting real news without sensationalism than most major news outlets. I hope AC stays on the air for a long, long time.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast