Page 7 of 49 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 4rkidz View Post
    I loved George.. such a passion for dance.. even though he has to watch his sickle foot... but great athleticism and passion.. and great lines (with more focus on turn out from the hip).. but they can work on that..
    "Working on" turnout is iffy if you're older. Of course they can "work on it" but that doesn't mean he can achieve it. That's why it's so important to get good instruction while you're young and the ligaments are still flexible. Forcing turnout from the hips after you're grown can really cause a lot of injuries. I know personally-my daughter wasn't trained properly until she was about 13, and now she's facing hip surgeries. She's already had 2 surgeries on her hips. These injuries were directly caused by forcing her turnout from the hips after she was a teen. I know of some who've started late and done well, but they were born with all the right physical gifts-natural turnout, beautiful feet, extension, etc.

vCash
    I turned off the show last night when they started to profile the girl eating bacon. Seriously? The sob stories are getting old- but THAT is what you are going to tell us about? How about finding a kid who does volunteer work, or someone who has a big family, or washes mirrors at the dance studio to pay for dance, or takes all AP classes. But "likes to eat Bacon?" Yes, comment on it at the audition, but a profile? Ridiculous.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matryeshka View Post
    No, Kevin inexplicably went to Vegas after his "ballet"
    When they then sent the bellydancer to choreo my husband was very WTF? And I pointed out to him that that guy will be eaten alive in Vegas and provide some drama, whereas the girl is a clone to 1000 other girls, except she can also belly dance.

vCash
    Thoroughly enjoyed last night's show. True, there weren't that many contenders, but the people they showed were entertaining for the most part.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    I liked the belly dancer. Can't figure out why they shipped her to choreography, and sent so many of the guys who demonstrated virtually no dancing (but interesting movement) straight to Vegas.

Also thought the bacon thing was icky. Loved the boy from rural Virginia. Seems meant to play the lead in Footloose.

vCash
    Also thought the bacon thing was icky. Loved the boy from rural Virginia. Seems meant to play the lead in Footloose.[/QUOTE]

All I saw was another Kent Boyd although without the years of instruction! Was very pleasantly surprised to see his natural ability though...wish they had given him some time with the Choreography session...just to give him some experience...since they were sending him to Vegas anyway!

vCash
    ^^^
    I hope that someone will mentor him; as I'd like to see him succeed.

vCash
    After seeing so much good, creative, interesting hip-hop it kills me that on the actual show we'll get CrappyTabs routines week after week.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe.

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    Finally saw the show. Bacon girl was just not very good. This is what kills me about this show and makes me want to throw up so much of the time. The judges gush over these "dancers" who look like rejects from the Podunk Contemporary Competition. I mean..really??? Bacon girl was just bad. That pitiful child who couldn't remember how to talk had pretty legs and that's about it? And that child who had the fantastic fun Grandmother was not much either. I know Granny loved her, but I mean...Vegas for that???? Vegas???? Please! The lad in the purple shirt who was hyped so much...very bad technique. I mean.

The highlight to me were the three hip hop geniuses who lived together. They were incredible, and I'm a classical ballet person!

Anyway...looking forward to this season, I guess. Maybe we won't have to endure the grasping, constant hyping of competition contemporary gurlz like we did last year. Plus, I really don't like girls called "beasts." Women are strong, yes, but the word beast connotes something altogether unfeminine. Coupe, jete, kick yourself in the back of the head, roll around on the floor..barf. Sorry-I have a very bad attitude about this. I do want to like this show. They have just decided to pander to the ratings, which means the broad range of 14 year old females who take competition dance seriously. I can't blame them as far as rating/money/etc goes, but it doesn't do much to elevate serious dance and spread true beauty.

vCash
    I used to get upset about some of these mediocre dancers going straight to Vegas, but realized that they won't last past a day or two or even a routine or two before they realize they are over their heads and get cut. Honestly, I'd say a majority of routines I see need to go straight to choreography. The hip hop guys especially. What they do is great, but are they able to dance with a partner??

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingsit View Post
    After seeing so much good, creative, interesting hip-hop it kills me that on the actual show we'll get CrappyTabs routines week after week.
    Yeah.

I really loved the three roommate guys: their articulation and control was amazing. I hope they can do other styles, because I'd love to see them long-term.

I love karate guy's hang time in the air when he did his tricks. I'm hoping he's teachable. Same with the guy from Virginia. I didn't like any of the girls from Atlanta all that much, but I don't like many of the show's contemporary dancers.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Have they featured any ballroom dancers at all so far? I've only caught a few auditions (Eliana Girard ) and what I've seen is only contemporary/jazz and hip hop/bboys.

Did the show finally acknowledge that ballroom doesn't get you anywhere?

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Holley Calmes View Post
    Finally saw the show. Bacon girl was just not very good. This is what kills me about this show and makes me want to throw up so much of the time. The judges gush over these "dancers" who look like rejects from the Podunk Contemporary Competition. I mean..really??? Bacon girl was just bad. That pitiful child who couldn't remember how to talk had pretty legs and that's about it? And that child who had the fantastic fun Grandmother was not much either. I know Granny loved her, but I mean...Vegas for that???? Vegas???? Please! The lad in the purple shirt who was hyped so much...very bad technique. I mean.
    ITA with every word.

I loved the belly dancer, but she only looked average in the choreography.

Also ITA that the highlight was the 3 roommates - how amazing and creative. The last one even pop locked with his face. Man I hope one of them can do something else.

I am about no ballroom dancers. I thought I saw a split second clip of one couple, but that is it. But Nigel said in the media that the ballroom girls were killing it in Vegas this year. The interviewer got to watch and she agreed. So there must be some.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    I am about no ballroom dancers. I thought I saw a split second clip of one couple, but that is it. But Nigel said in the media that the ballroom girls were killing it in Vegas this year. The interviewer got to watch and she agreed. So there must be some.
    Next week is SLC, so the show should have plenty.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    I wish I understood what Nigel & Co. see in so many of the female contemporary dancers they rave about. I'm rarely impressed by their dancing, which tends to involve angsty emoting and lots of ability to extend their right legs -- and only their right legs -- into a side spiral-type position. Repeatedly.

Cruder than you thought
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post

Also ITA that the highlight was the 3 roommates - how amazing and creative. The last one even pop locked with his face. Man I hope one of them can do something else.
    Yes, they were all each more amazing than the last, musical and emotional too!

Quote Originally Posted by Aceon6 View Post
    Next week is SLC, so the show should have plenty.
    Is SLC a bastion of ballroom?

I've really enjoyed what I've gotten to see of the auditions this season, especially the last show. So many more real dancers and fewer stories than in the past. It seems to me, though, that they're sending a lot more people straight through to Vegas without choreo and even people that I feel wouldn't have gotten through at all in past seasons. I wonder if it's just the edit or if they've changed their percentage that get to Vegas this time.

Overall, though, there have been a lot of good auditions shown.
    Disclaimer: The post contained herein represents the opinions of a fan and may or may not bear any relation to reality.

GPF Barcelona here I come
    NYC, New Mexico, Azores, Cape Cod then Barcelona :)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    I wish I understood what Nigel & Co. see in so many of the female contemporary dancers they rave about. I'm rarely impressed by their dancing, which tends to involve angsty emoting and lots of ability to extend their right legs -- and only their right legs -- into a side spiral-type position. Repeatedly.
    That is my pet peeve.. and pirouettes done with no turnout.. it doesn't take a very skilled dancer to be flexible and the same with balance on the turns..
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AYS View Post
    Is SLC a bastion of ballroom?
    I think so; judging by these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BYU_Ballroom_Dance_Company
    http://pam.byu.edu/SimilarPage.asp?t...ance%20Company
    http://www.youtube.com/results?searc....0.vJLi-Q_UcmA

The Mormon Church seems to approve of it

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimena View Post
    Have they featured any ballroom dancers at all so far? I've only caught a few auditions (Eliana Girard ) and what I've seen is only contemporary/jazz and hip hop/bboys.

Did the show finally acknowledge that ballroom doesn't get you anywhere?
    This makes it quadruply frustrating that the Canadian version wasn't renewed: there were four excellent ballroom dancers in the Top 10, with one remaining in the Top 6, and three of the four were versatile in other genres, with Yulia being the one who didn't get very far from ballroom. Of course the blandy contemporary boys were kept in by the audience, including the most Chandler Bingish of all of them, Matt Marr, in the final three, but Jean-Marc Genereaux kept his ballroom people in deep into the competition, and I think that Francois and Denitsa were the most versatile dancers in the bunch: if I were hiring, I'd go straight to them.

Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post

Also, the most influential of the choreographers on the show are contemporary, that big amorphous blob of choreography, and these girls and the blandy boys play into their, "And this dance is the story about how two people meet, but are torn apart" angst-fests.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 4rkidz View Post
    That is my pet peeve.. and pirouettes done with no turnout.. it doesn't take a very skilled dancer to be flexible and the same with balance on the turns..
    Plus which the vast majority of the dancers simply turn until they fall out of the turn. Maybe I'm spoiled by figure skaters or ballet dancers who seemed to have learned how to control the end of the spin, but the contemporary dancers almost all lurch out of their pirouettes.

Page 7 of 49 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast