Page 5 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    vCash
    No Holley...last night was just Los Angeles. Next week seems to be Houston (?) and Atlanta...and agree that the 'not ballet' guy must have been scripted!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pair mom View Post
    No Holley...last night was just Los Angeles. Next week seems to be Houston (?) and Atlanta...and agree that the 'not ballet' guy must have been scripted!
    "Not ballet guy", hereafter known as NBG must have been an invitee. In addition to calling back the Vegas survivors from the previous year, I know they invite some folks to audition directly for the judges without going through the cattle call/producer process.

ETA, "thrown out girl", or TOG, seemed to be a setup too. If I have a minute, I'll see if there's anything on her on the core dance boards. From what they showed, she might be a competition invitee (very pretty, decent dancer, sad story). BTW, Nigel, it's possible for a parent to support their child's dancing, and, at the same time, be upset that the child's dancing is keeping them from doing other things that the parents feel are important. Don't judge unless you've heard both sides.
    Last edited by Aceon6; 05-31-2012 at 02:12 PM.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    The scripted auditions were lame, IMO. I just want to see fabulous dancing!

vCash
    I loooooved the pole dance girl who turned out to be so so beautiful as a ballerina !! And the blond chick despite the crying. NBG was funny but I wanted flipping guy to go to vegas :::
    poths Void: MarieM carries a rusty old blade in her handbag!

vCash
    It was weird because LA auditions were at the end of the audition process-not early. And they only showed judging form day 2 since Stacey Tookey was the 3rd judge day 1.

Some of you may also be interested in watching S2 winner Benji Schwimmer's Mormon stories.

Part 2 is where he talks about SYTYCD
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZgIACujltE

All 3 parts are incredibly interesting. He talks about his sexual identity and how it was like being attracted to same sex and trying to be a true blue Mormon. Part 3 was very emotional for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6RBOvYDW4Y
    Last edited by tarotx; 06-01-2012 at 09:29 PM.

vCash
    Wow -- I just listened to parts 2 and 3 this afternoon and evening. Part 2 had lots of interesting background on SYTYCD, but part 3 was a rawly emotional accounting of his coming to grips with being a gay Mormon, including desperate attempts to "get over" the attraction to men, and then his eventual decision to leave the church. Faith is clearly very, very important to him -- he's certainly culturally a Mormon -- and I don't know how anyone could listen to this lengthy interview and continue to think that being gay is simply a choice. Very, very powerful.

vCash
    I really wonder about some of the dancers in the LA Auditions. That was BY FAR the best night of auditions (over all) I've seen in several seasons. I can't even imagine what dancers of that caliber would get out of SYTYCD.

Pole dancer girl, Ron Weasley--WTH were they doing there? They have real careers in dance (and they should). Although I will say, I would love for both, especially Weasley. to make it. Too often, I think male dancers--especially ballet--get a "pass" on some technical flaws simply because there aren't enough of them. I feel this way about the Aussie guy--had he been a girl with that same technique, at best, she would have gotten choreography. Weasley, however, can freaking dance.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BaileyCatts View Post
    Who was the male ballet dancer Nigel like yelled at and told him he was awful and do some real dancing (or something along those lines) ... and then he did impromptu routine and was perfect? What was his name? Is the clip on You Tube?
    Stephen Jacobsen http://youtu.be/SJUhnNZVgCw his brother is Joseph Jacobsen former pair team with Amanda Dobbs.

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    ^ Thanks for the link. But why in the world did he do that awful bit in the beginning? I mean, I could almost do that. Did he really think that was good?!? The second routine was beautiful, but that whole audition didn't make sense at all. Why not just come out and do what he did after Nigel yelled at him?

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    Well, I just found out that our Atlanta boy auditioned in LA and was on the show this past week...he was the one who "sang" for a Vegas ticket and got it. My dear friend and ex-artistic director has taught this young man, and she says they showed a short leap or something of his, but it wasn't flattering at all-he's much better than what they showed. His name is Michael...something. My friend says he is INCREDIBLE. Ballet/contemp.

Anybody remember him? He's light skin toned African American by way of description.

vCash
    Many of those sent directly to Vegas aren't really shown on the auditions.
    I don't recall seeing him, Holley; but, will see if I can find him anywhere.

Cruder than you thought
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Holley Calmes View Post
    Well, I just found out that our Atlanta boy auditioned in LA and was on the show this past week...he was the one who "sang" for a Vegas ticket and got it. My dear friend and ex-artistic director has taught this young man, and she says they showed a short leap or something of his, but it wasn't flattering at all-he's much better than what they showed. His name is Michael...something. My friend says he is INCREDIBLE. Ballet/contemp.

Anybody remember him? He's light skin toned African American by way of description.
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    Many of those sent directly to Vegas aren't really shown on the auditions.
    I don't recall seeing him, Holley; but, will see if I can find him anywhere.
    I think they showed a very quick clip of a guy singing, but we didn't get to see his actual audition - one of those deals where they showed a quick montage of people getting told they're going to Vegas (while they spend all this time showing not as good dancers who don't get to go to Vegas, but have a "story" ).
    Disclaimer: The post contained herein represents the opinions of a fan and may or may not bear any relation to reality.

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    Thanks for the replies! No, Lisa said they showed a few seconds of him doing some type of leap, but it wasn't representative of what he truly does. Maybe it was separated from the "singing" part. But since Lisa taught him, I figure she recognized him. Hope he makes it!

vCash
    As of June 1, my cable company no longer carries Fox. No more SYTYCD for moi.

vCash
    wow -- I thought there was an FCC requirement that cable companies must carry broadcast stations as long as the broadcast station wants that, and I'd be surprised if Fox didn't want it. But, perhaps the rules have changed.

(Let me guess...they added another shopping channel. That's what Comcast does every time they decrease my basic service.)

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BaileyCatts View Post
    ^ Thanks for the link. But why in the world did he do that awful bit in the beginning? I mean, I could almost do that. Did he really think that was good?!? The second routine was beautiful, but that whole audition didn't make sense at all. Why not just come out and do what he did after Nigel yelled at him?
    I wonder if they staged that? I can't imagine he thought it was good. I could barely tell that he had any technique at all, yet Nigel knew he did. It was so weird.

http://www.cballet.org/thecompany/jacobsen
    Last edited by Rob; 06-06-2012 at 06:54 PM.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matryeshka View Post
    I
    I figure she'll be out on the first day, third day tops. I doubt she can do much else. I think Japanese guy could probably do a lot, but I don't know if he can understand English well enough to get the choreography.
    From the clips I've seen of the choreography sessions, it's like most dance; taught by example, so language shouldn't be much of an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Matryeshka View Post
    I kind of agree with Hamster Dude on the autistic guy. I would rather see great auditions than exploiting those suffering from autism in order to give the impression of a kinder, gentler Nigel and Co.

Good job to Lil C for *trying* to make it professional, and Mary as well. Then of course Nigel drags it back down.

Neither of them should have been shown.
    I agree. Nearly all of the back-stories and the "too-old-or young-to-compete" people who are there only for Nigel to get that faux sensitive look on his face and encourage them to follow their dance dreams are the reason I love my PVR and fast-forward button.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

moving right along
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Nearly all of the back-stories and the "too-old-or young-to-compete" people who are there only for Nigel to get that faux sensitive look on his face and encourage them to follow their dance dreams are the reason I love my PVR and fast-forward button.
    ^^^This.^^^

Thank god for the fast-forward function: the ability to and escape from smarmy setups, etc. is a requirement in order to enjoy the show.

vCash
    Debbie Allen, ugh. I sense some crying. And pretty girl does gross out. Well, she's on the show.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

Re-registered User
    vCash
    Nigel called blue hair guy mesmerising one minute after I typed that on Facebook. That was so lovely and original. I hope Boris can do other types of dance.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

Page 5 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast