Page 1 of 49 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

So You Think You Can Dance? - Season 9!

I've never been a fan of all of the singing shows that continually pop up every season. I think I watched half of the first season of American Idol and that was it. I did watch a bit of Dancing With the Stars but seeing a lot of non-dancer dance badly made me laugh sometimes, but most of the time bored me.

I love dance shows though, and that's why I'm happy SYTYCD is back! I really enjoyed last season. Melanie and Sasha were my favs and they finished 1-2. This season, however, they've put a twist on it. Instead of one person winning, they'll have two: one boy, one girl. I think that's pretty fair. I know in the season with Joshua and Katie, Joshua won overall but Katie got $50K for being the top girl of the season. I wonder if they did that the following season with Brandon and Jeanine? I can't remember hearing anything about it...

Anyhoo, I'm excited! 2-hours of auditions tonight...can't wait!

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    This season, however, they've put a twist on it. Instead of one person winning, they'll have two: one boy, one girl. I think that's pretty fair. I know in the season with Joshua and Katie, Joshua won overall but Katie got $50K for being the top girl of the season. I wonder if they did that the following season with Brandon and Jeanine?
    No, they only did it in S4, and it wasn't known ahead of time that it was going to happen. I was happy for Katee, but it was rather lame. Don't care for splitting the win between favorite male and favorite female, either The show already plays way too heavily into gender roles...they've made improvements in the last couple seasons but this is a step backwards.

I wonder how many more season SYTYCD will have...seems like they are scrambling a bit with the tweaks to this season (also eliminating the results show).
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    . . . seems like they are scrambling a bit with the tweaks to this season (also eliminating the results show).
    Eliminating the results show is a wonderful idea and I wish more competition shows would do this too. The problem is that even though the ratings are down for a lot of the competition shows, they still do well and don't cost much to produce so we get an abundance of fluffy results shows with little content.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    I'm a-ok with eliminating the dance-for-your-life aspect, as it clearly had little to do with the judges' decisions, and most of the music guests, but I did like that they brought real dance companies onto a popular national show.

I guess I would have preferred a half hour results show that includes ONLY the reveal of the B3, a guest dance group, and the elimination. Maybe one highlight from the previous night. But I'm fine with folding the eliminations into the regular show too.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

Meow. Mrow. Miao. Purrrr.
    vCash
    Bump!

vCash
    I've missed our girl Cat!

vCash
    I hate Twenties Girl already.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    her palms were orange
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    I agree. No one should be that perky and dramatic at the same time.
    "Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves." – T.S. Eliot

vCash
    I'll miss the SYTYCD results show. They had some great acts, dance companies, and group numbers I'd otherwise not have seen. I don't like the results show in other reality shows (AI, etc) but did like the SYTYCD show.

vCash
    This guy has amazing flow.

vCash
    I'm already laughing with (at?) wiggle boy.

ETA: o.m.g. this is worse than i imagined.

vCash
    Why do they show people like Austin?
    "Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves." – T.S. Eliot

vCash
    ouch, Mary.

vCash
    if this is what Cat meant by matching different styles of dance with music from another genre, I am all for this!

vCash
    I like the idea of a male winner and female winner, just because Lythgoe's machinations have so obviously wanted a specific type of female dancer, and my is that they've deliberately picked weaker male dancers to get that result.

20 girl's performance reminded me of a critique of some dancer from DWTS--I think it was Carrie Anne about Bristol Palin--that she made pretty pictures of poses, but not much else. There wasn't dancing between the poses.

I give her credit for fully committing to a certain look, but for that dance to work, she had to be a lot more loose and whimsical in her movements, and she was too controlled. All of her personality was in her haircut.

I figure she'll be out on the first day, third day tops. I doubt she can do much else. I think Japanese guy could probably do a lot, but I don't know if he can understand English well enough to get the choreography.

Good gods, do we have a new Sex?
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    What the eff was guy in the red shirt's "music"? I don't even know if he danced well ( well, he's going to Vegas, so....) because I couldn't get past the ..... whatever that was.

vCash
    The amazing thing was how expressively his body told the story with the words. I have a feeling it was him doing the voice and it was the story of him and his mom, but that's just a guess.

vCash
    Damn. What is it with the Swiss and their spinning ability? Clearly, I need to eat more Swiss chocolate.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    If that's all it takes, I should be able to spin like a damn top.

Page 1 of 49 12311 ... LastLast