Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    It's amazing that with the lack of depth that the Canadian men has 3 spots at Worlds.
    Kevin Reynolds has been to Worlds three consecutive times, placing in the top twelve two of those times. With Chan outscoring everyone else by a large margin in the past few seasons, I'd say it's a given that Canada would have three spots.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by geoskate View Post
    In juniors I'll be watching Peter O'Brien with interest. He's last season's junior silver medallist, but apparently didn't skate in any competition this season until EOS sectionals, which suggests that he was injured. I think he's still young enough to be on the JGP next season, so his skate at nationals might be very important for him despite already having a junior medal.
    Thanks for the news on Gosselin's competitions this year. I know I looked at Octoberfest results, but I guess I forgot that he was there. Glad to hear that he's on a comeback path.

I'd heard that O'Brien sustained an injury during the off-season, though again, I can't remember what it was. He was off the ice for a few months, I think, so I hope that he will also continue to improve. He turns 19 before July 1 though, so I think that means that this was his final year of JGP eligibility, right? Or do I have that backwards?

vCash
    Gachinski, Voronov, Rippon, van der Perren and Verner "underperforming" is not a fluke. It's a pretty good likelihood.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    Gachinski, Voronov, Rippon, van der Perren and Verner "underperforming" is not a fluke. It's a pretty good likelihood.
    Yes, at some point underperforming just becomes performing. I believe the one time Kevin didn't place in the top 12 he was actually the alternate and went with both an injury and I think also sick.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Proustable View Post
    Definitely luck plays a role here - Gachinski, Voronov, Rippon, van der Perren, and Verner all underperformed. If it's any consolation, Canada tends to lose three spots every time it has three (2011, 2009, 2007) so we'll probably lose them here.
    Most likely. Reynolds repeating a top 12 at this years Worlds seems unlikely, but who knows he might put it all together and get the needed help once again. Nobody else even seems capable.

vCash
    He turns 19 before July 1 though, so I think that means that this was his final year of JGP eligibility, right? Or do I have that backwards?
    You're correct. I should have checked tracings.net before I posted.

Thanks for the correction.

vCash
    With Rogozine's bad result at NHK, Elladj Balde is looking like the frontrunner for that last podium position at Nationals. I wish Skate Canada had sent him to another Senior B this fall, because if he does finish 3rd, then it's do or die at 4CC to get the TES minimum to go to Worlds. (Although to be fair, Elladj blew one of his shots at the TES pretty badly at Nebelhorn...I have a little more sympathy about missing it at SC, because he did have a relatively strong performance there.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by geoskate View Post
    In juniors I'll be watching Peter O'Brien with interest. He's last season's junior silver medallist, but apparently didn't skate in any competition this season until EOS sectionals, which suggests that he was injured. I think he's still young enough to be on the JGP next season, so his skate at nationals might be very important for him despite already having a junior medal.
    Looking at the starting orders for Senior Men at Challenge, it looks like Peter will skate as a Senior.

vCash
    How long has Nam Ngyun been with Orser?

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Nam Nguyen switched to Orser last summer.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Check out the video of Kevin being interviewed by two Japanese lads who think he is an ordinary tourist, but google him half way through - it's from CBC sports, retweeted by PJ Kwong. I'd copy to this post for you, but I don't know how. It is hilarious and charming! the Japanese lads seem to be participating in a TV contest or Game show and lucked out. The title of the article tweeted and retweeted is Super Skating and the video is half way down the page.

vCash
    Sylvia has posted the said vid in the Kevin Reynolds thread.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234