Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    I so hope Jeremy Ten remains healthy/injury-free. He's a treasure!

Quote Originally Posted by icellist View Post
    Don't forget Emmanuel Sandhu! Is he coming back?
    The BC/YT SummerSkate is happening this weekend at Burnaby's 8 Rinks. Apparently Emmanuel is not on the list of skaters. So I refuse to go!
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fsfan22 View Post
    Kevin Reynolds - as long as he stays healthy and continues to improve on his artistry, he's a lock for the #2 spot in Sochi

Jeremy Ten - great style and line ... coming back from a series of injuries is tough, and once his jumps are better trained and more consistent, he may be a contender for a spot in Sochi (if there is a 3rd spot). He always has a strong support from Skate Canada, even with less-than-stellar performances (i.e. this years' Nationals). Needs to get a consistent 3 axel for sure!

E Balde - great presence, but I find his style a bit sloppy. Training in Detroit immersed in a competitive environment is a huge step in the right direction. With a bit more international experience, I can see him doing well and possibly making it to Worlds/Sochi.

Andrei Rogozine - really struggling to make a name for himself on the Senior stage, but definitely has the arsenal of jumps to be competitive. I don't like his style at all ... definitely needs some refinement.

Liam Firus - very similar to Chan in terms of style, speed, carriage and overall skating skills ... lacks the technical difficulty needed to be competitive currently.

There's also Nam Nguyen, who I believe will be age eligible for 2014. It's hard to say at this point what he is capable of in the future, but what he's got going for him now at the age of 13 is extraordinary.
    Looking forward to their skates. They all have something to offer and if keep improving and overcome their weakness (if any), they have a chance to podium. Go Canadian guys go!
    Will be keeping an eye on the upcoming young cuties ... Nam, Liam and Andrei.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Some videos from BC SummerSkate this past weekend...

Kevin Reynolds' 1st place SP (last season's music; his 4Lo was called underrotated <): http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/24760983
    Kevin Reynolds' 1st place FS (choreographed by Kenji Miyamoto): http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/24786867
    Jeremy Ten's 2nd place FS (last season's music to Il Postino soundtrack): http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/24786600
    Liam Firus' 2nd place SP: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/24760537

Mitchell Gordon's Junior SP: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/24759572
    Mitchell Gordon's Junior FS: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/24785878
    He is assigned to JGP #3 in Linz, Austria - ETA link to his ISU bio with updated program music (explains his blue jeans in his FS ): http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00013689.htm
    Last edited by Sylvia; 08-20-2012 at 04:25 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    According to the protocols from BC Summerskate, Mitchell did a 2A in the SP and a 3A in the FS, where he had a faulty landing, and netted -.33 in GOE, not bad for an early season attempt in competition. I haven't been following his skating, but it sounds like from other post that this might have been his first.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    According to the protocols from BC Summerskate, Mitchell did a 2A in the SP and a 3A in the FS, where he had a faulty landing, and netted -.33 in GOE, not bad for an early season attempt in competition. I haven't been following his skating, but it sounds like from other post that this might have been his first.
    I believe it was his first attempt in competition. It seems like a smart move to try it out in the FS where a fall isn't as costly. It will be interesting to see if he replaces the 2A in short by Nationals. I'm assuming because he is the reigning Jr. National Champ that he will have to skate Senior this year at Nationals. I wonder how he will stack up against Firus and Nam? Firus and Mitchell have similar styles but it looks like Mitchell is slightly ahead in the 3A department. I'm fairly sure he will be gunning for a Jr. Worlds spot this year.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    Mitchell's speed and height on jumps looks pretty great. I'm definitely piqued.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jl22aries View Post
    I think that's why Mitchell got two 0's and two -1's on the 3A: the height compensated enough for the landing that he lost less than half a point on the 8.5 base.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jl22aries View Post
    He is also quite young. Entering grade 11 I believe, so he has a bit of time to get that 3A consistent and work on a quad.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    He's going to be a very handsome dude when he's older, too.

vCash
    Just bumping this thread up to say that Mitchell placed first at the BC/YT Sectionals last weekend ahead of Jeremy Ten. Ten won the short but Mitchell came back strong in the long landing the only 3A of the night. Ten popped his first attempt and fell on his second. Rumor has it that Mitchell also landed a fabulous 3A on his first try at an earlier practice. It will be interesting to see how he performs at Challenge and whether or not the 3A goes into his short by Nationals.

vCash
    That's good news for Mitchell. Watched his vid, and like his skating.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Balde is my favourite male singles skater. I just love him. I think his coaching move was the smartest thing he could have done and I wish him so much luck going into his next few competitions. I would be beyond thrilled if he made it to Sochi.
    ~I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.~ (Charles R. Swindoll)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Twilight1 View Post
    Balde is my favourite male singles skater. I just love him. I think his coaching move was the smartest thing he could have done and I wish him so much luck going into his next few competitions. I would be beyond thrilled if he made it to Sochi.
    He was wonderful to watch at skate canada and such a personality off the ice!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Manaud View Post
    He was wonderful to watch at skate canada and such a personality off the ice!
    I like Balde too. The coaching change was really smart and I hope he continues to improve. Really hoping he makes the world team this season.

vCash
    I haven't seen him live yet but I really really want to!
    ~I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.~ (Charles R. Swindoll)

vCash
    I was disappointed with Balde's low scores at Skate Canada. He's fun to watch.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    I'm going to put my money on Rogozine to make the world team although he does need power and refinement. Landed a quad in the short at sectionals. He is our version of Nagasu who can land jumps but pull low marks because the judges are crapping all over technique.

I LOOOOOOOVE Firus. The only other skater from any country other than Chan that makes my pulse pound just skating around the ice. Patrick Chan in an Elvis Stojko body *sigh* He needs time. I hope he gets there.

Balde is our Candeloro. Crazy hair and loves to skate and has charisma. But I'm not sold. He skates like he's 20 lbs overweight and has only ok body line. He has a shot at the world team but I'm going with Andrei.

Ten is awesome to watch but the last few years troubles have effectively ended his run. He's done.

Reynolds is our #2.

Gordon and Sadovsky are going to be very much worth watching. I HATE Gordon's long to Neil Diamond. He looks awkward skating to it like his parents are punishing him for misbehaving by giving him this program.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock2 View Post
    I'm going to put my money on Rogozine to make the world team although he does need power and refinement.
    At this point, Rogozine is pretty much guaranteed to be on the World team, as he's the only guy other than Reynolds and Chan to meet the minimum TES requirements in both programs. Balde has met the SP minimum, but not the FP minimum, so he'd need to get the FP score at 4CC if he were to do well enough at Nationals to be Skate Canada's preferred choice for Worlds. He missed the FP minimum at Skate Canada by just over 2 points with a very solid skate, so he would really need to be lights out to get the minimum.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock2 View Post
    Ten is awesome to watch but the last few years troubles have effectively ended his run. He's done.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    I wish we could free Ten. If he could go to someone like Frank Carroll I think he would be a force. He has world class written all over him when he takes to the ice. He just doesn't seem to have any confidence left when it comes to the jumps.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast