Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

vCash

Canadian Men other than Chan

There seems to be a secondary discussion happening in the GP Selection thread about the Canadian men. More specifically, which men, other than Chan, will be the front runners for World 2012 and Sochi.

It has been suggested that five are the front runners. What do you all think?

Kevin Reynolds - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEQ2BlB_EK8

Jeremy Ten - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb5cWahmJZA

E Balde - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=NbtzDJ8XUbw (Skate Canada, prior to coaching change?)

Andrei Rogozine - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2H2qbRZNAP4

Liam Firus - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKDTuXGoHfg
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    Reynolds, obviously, because he's been the top guy out of those five since Vancouver.

I would agree with the other choices. I can't think of anyone else who might surpass either of the other four by Sochi. I have a feeling Rogozine might be Guy #3 on the Canadian team in 2014. Balde's rather unrefined, and I don't think Ten and Firus are strong/consistent enough jumpers. Ten especially has struggled with inconsistency. I know he had an injury though.

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    Firus looked great in Brisbane last year.

He has a very smooth style similar to Browning and Chan.

vCash
    This thread makes me miss Shawn Sawyer. He wuzrobbed of a spot for Vancouver and if he kept up his improvement on the lutz and axel he could very well make Sochi too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by essence_of_soy View Post
    Firus looked great in Brisbane last year.

He has a very smooth style similar to Browning and Chan.
    Yes, I like the way he moves. His choreography is also very good. I think he needs to project a bit more to the audience, but I think that will come with a bit more senior experience. I'm not sure who he is working with in Colorado, but I hope it is Christy Krall and she able to help him get the axel and maybe a quad under control.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    I love Shawn Sawyer and Jeremy Ten, how they can merge performance into their programs! Don't forget Emmanuel Sandhu! Is he coming back?

vCash
    I love Jeremy Ten, he's so pretty out there. He needs to get his jumps in order, no doubt, but he could definitely hold his own once he does. I think it's impressive what he managed to do after an injury!

Reynolds is a lot of fun to watch as well. I liked his SP last season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by icellist View Post
    I love Shawn Sawyer and Jeremy Ten, how they can merge performance into their programs! Don't forget Emmanuel Sandhu! Is he coming back?
    I would bet good money that Sandhu is not coming back. He was registered for BC/YT Sections last fall and withdrew. I believe he is skating in some shows, and I don't think competition is his focus.

vCash
    Kevin Reynolds - as long as he stays healthy and continues to improve on his artistry, he's a lock for the #2 spot in Sochi

Jeremy Ten - great style and line ... coming back from a series of injuries is tough, and once his jumps are better trained and more consistent, he may be a contender for a spot in Sochi (if there is a 3rd spot). He always has a strong support from Skate Canada, even with less-than-stellar performances (i.e. this years' Nationals). Needs to get a consistent 3 axel for sure!

E Balde - great presence, but I find his style a bit sloppy. Training in Detroit immersed in a competitive environment is a huge step in the right direction. With a bit more international experience, I can see him doing well and possibly making it to Worlds/Sochi.

Andrei Rogozine - really struggling to make a name for himself on the Senior stage, but definitely has the arsenal of jumps to be competitive. I don't like his style at all ... definitely needs some refinement.

Liam Firus - very similar to Chan in terms of style, speed, carriage and overall skating skills ... lacks the technical difficulty needed to be competitive currently.

There's also Nam Nguyen, who I believe will be age eligible for 2014. It's hard to say at this point what he is capable of in the future, but what he's got going for him now at the age of 13 is extraordinary.

vCash
    Right now, Reynolds is as close to a lock as can be, unless one of the other guys shows some drastic improvement (which is not impossible). Over the past couple of years, Kevin has been getting better. I admire how hard he's been working.

I'm not convinced Ten is the real deal. Beautiful skater, yes, but he's wildly inconsistent and was even before his injury, which doesn't give me confidence he'll ever find consistency. IMHO, he's a longshot for Sochi.

Balde is interesting... he has the goods and is a real showman. I think he could be the third man (or even the second) if the coaching change works out. Huge potential.

I like Rogozine. I posted in another thread that although he's unrefined, with good programs and solid coaching, he could pull it together.

Firus is the dark horse. His jumps are consistent and beautiful, and his skating skills are superb, but he really needs to up the difficulty to have any real shot at advancing. Definitely possible for the long-term, but I don't see him being a factor into 2014.

Fsfan22, I like Nguyen too. He is extraordinary but a lot will depend on how much he grows and how much his body changes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Habs View Post
    ...Fsfan22, I like Nguyen too. He is extraordinary but a lot will depend on how much he grows and how much his body changes.
    Nam's parents are quite small so I don't see a huge growth spurt in his future. He will get bigger, but he will still be small. I can't remember when his birthday is, but if he is only 13 then he won't be old enough. I think he may have turned 14 this spring which means he will be 15 by July 1, 2013.

I suspect his goals are more towards 2018, but Mitchell Gordon, the reigning Jr. Men's champ is also a beautiful skater. I know he lands up to 3 lutz but I'm not sure where he is on a 3A or a quad.

vCash
    Glad to see this thread, the topic was getting lost in the GP thread.

I won't repeat my preference for Canada's #3. Let's just say he has a very short step to take to arrive on the podium at 2013 Nats.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JasperBoy View Post

I won't repeat my preference for Canada's #3. Let's just say he has a very short step to take to arrive on the podium at 2013 Nats.

Quote Originally Posted by mag
    I suspect his goals are more towards 2018, but Mitchell Gordon, the reigning Jr. Men's champ is also a beautiful skater. I know he lands up to 3 lutz but I'm not sure where he is on a 3A or a quad.
    Mitchell Gordon has fabulous basics and was outstanding at nationals in Moncton. He reminds me a lot of Liam Firus. I believe he's only 15, so he has time to add on some difficulty.

vCash

Mitchell Gordon has fabulous basics and was outstanding at nationals in Moncton. He reminds me a lot of Liam Firus. I believe he's only 15, so he has time to add on some difficulty.
    I agree.

vCash
    2012 Canadians videos for Junior Men's champ Mitchell Gordon:
    SP to "Hipbrass" by Bart & Baker (3rd, 51.38): http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/19845845
    FS to "Keating's Triumph" from the Dead Poets Society soundtrack by Maurice Jarre (1st, 109.66): http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/19875099

He will turn 16 in June: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00013689.htm
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    SP to "Hipbrass" by Bart & Baker (3rd, 51.38): http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/19845845
    FS to "Keating's Triumph" from the Dead Poets Society soundtrack by Maurice Jarre (1st, 109.66): http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/19875099

He will turn 16 in June: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00013689.htm
    His FS in Moncton was one of the highlights of the week for me. Just gorgeous.

vCash
    His FS in Moncton was one of the highlights of the week for me. Just gorgeous.
    And I love the reaction of his coach.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    This thread makes me miss Shawn Sawyer. He wuzrobbed of a spot for Vancouver and if he kept up his improvement on the lutz and axel he could very well make Sochi too.
    I wish he would come back to competition lol. I also wish worlds hadn't had to be postponed last year so he could have competed in worlds and done CSOI.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post

FS to "Keating's Triumph" from the Dead Poets Society soundtrack by Maurice Jarre (1st, 109.66)
    I am sooo impressed. What a lovely skate. Excited to see him develop the 3A (will we see it this year, wonder?)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mag View Post
    And I love the reaction of his coach.
    Yes. in Moncton I was sitting in the row right behind the coaches. Keegan and his mother were beside themselves when Mitchell skated so well. When it was announced that Mitchell had won gold I thought Keegan would launch himself onto the ice. I tried to take a photo but he just wouldn't keep still!

It was wonderful to see such enthusiasm in a skater, and his team, at the beginning of his career. I wish every good thing for Mitchell in the future.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast