Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    This is the movie industry, everyone dates everyone. They are all professionals.
    Of course they're professionals, but that's still just an awkward situation, especially if the proposal was that romantic. When Ryan Phillippe had to say hateful things to Reese Witherspoon in the breakup scene of Cruel Intentions, he apparently threw up after filming it.

Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Did you seriously just link me to a fanvid of Jane and Bingley.... All I remember about Mr. Bingley in the movie were the scenes where he comes off as a huge bumbling dufus. Ugh.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cailuj365 View Post
    Of course they're professionals, but that's still just an awkward situation, especially if the proposal was that romantic. When Ryan Phillippe had to say hateful things to Reese Witherspoon in the breakup scene of Cruel Intentions, he apparently threw up after filming it.
    Does everyone react this way? No. If everyone worried about being awkward because they had a fling or a relationship, the movie industry would come to a screeching halt.

Look, I don't like the maudlin fan video of the 2005 Bingley/Jane romance either but do you have to be so combative about everything?
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by emason View Post

I don't see how you can see any reverence for the source material in the 2005 remake. Disdain, yes, but reverence no. The 2005 version is appalling in its disregard for the source.
    Believe it or not, the screenwriter did her utmost to remain as faithful to the original novel as possible and to keep as much of the dialogue as possible, which of course is difficult with a time-limited theatrical film presentation. The 2005 version is not the BBC version. Why try to redo something in the same way that has already been done before? The point was to approach the material from a different vantage point and they did a very thoughtful and excellent job of achieving what they set out to do. I was quite skeptical at first, but I found the film mesmerizing.

To each their own way of viewing things. There is a lot written about the vagaries, difficulties and conundrums of adaptation, which might be quite instructive, or maybe not to some.
    Last edited by aftershocks; 05-27-2012 at 09:16 PM.

vCash
    Does everyone react this way? No. If everyone worried about being awkward because they had a fling or a relationship, the movie industry would come to a screeching halt.

Look, I don't like the maudlin fan video of the 2005 Bingley/Jane romance either but do you have to be so combative about everything?
    Who said they were worried about it??? I fully expect professional actors to get over any past history and do the job they were hired for. However, that doesn't stop people from having feelings. Actors aren't robots. Maybe I should have said, "that could be awkward" instead of "is," but I really didn't anticipate this type of discussion.

And combative? I'm actually quite calm. You are misreading my posts. I thought that aftershocks linking me to that video was funny.

vCash
    Ergo, every actor in a relationship throws up after having to say "hateful things" to a real life significant other! In any case, were Ryan and Reese dating before they made the movie together? As if any of this has any bearing on anything related to Pride and Prejudice or to Simon Woods and Rosamund Pike!

Did you seriously just link me to a fanvid of Jane and Bingley.... All I remember about Mr. Bingley in the movie were the scenes where he comes off as a huge bumbling dufus. Ugh.
    Sure I linked Bingley/ Jane vid in my post, but not just for your pleasure.

As far as your assessment of Mr. Bingley being "a huge bumbling dufus," well at least he wasn't attempting to propose to you.

vCash
    Ergo, every actor in a relationship throws up after having to say "hateful things" to a real life significant other! In any case, were Ryan and Reese dating before they made the movie together? As if any of this has any bearing on anything related to Pride and Prejudice or to Simon Woods and Rosamund Pike!
    First of all, I was not being that deep with the "awkward" comment. Second, you are the one drawing conclusions that I have no intention of making. "Every" actor? No. Of course not.

As far as your assessment of Mr. Bingley being "a huge bumbling dufus," well at least he wasn't attempting to propose to you.
    I really don't understand why that latter part is even relevant. My assessment for Mr. Bingley being a dufus in the movies is because that's not how he is in the books. And yes, adaptations that take a fresh spin on things is nice. However, in this case, I believe character changes like that are a mistake. And if you like the way that Bingley was portrayed, okay then. I'm glad you're enjoying it.

And about the video, when you first posted the links you had not quoted IceAlisa yet. Thus, I thought they were meant for me.

vCash
    This is the movie industry, everyone dates everyone. They are all professionals.
    True. Hugh Laurie and Emma Thompson used to date, long before they were in Sense and Sensibility together! (Not that they played love interests, but still.)
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Asli View Post
    For Anna Karenina, I can't imagine a more suitable face than Keira Knightley's. She looks absolutely majestic in the photos. The problem usually starts when she starts speaking. I don't think she is too young though. I've imagined Anna to be barely 30, isn't she? Their age difference with Vronski must be negligible, if any.

Some of the rest of the cast are very surprising IMO. In what universe can Jude Law be Karenin? They've tried to make him look less than drop-dread gorgeous by putting glasses on him and making him grow a beard, but come on! Vronski is played by 21-year-old Aaron Johnson, hair and moustache bleached blond and curled like some teenager trying to shock his parents. Who in her right mind would cast a glance at him when she has Jude Law at home?

Terrific Oblonski with Matthew Macfadyen though and the choice of dark and sophisticated Alicia Vikander for Kitty may mean there'll be more to the role than looking naive and having her heart broken.

I must admit I can't wait! I'm so curious!

OTOH it would be nice to see an important Russian adaptation of Anna Karenina. Pride and Prejudice is not regularly produced by Russian actors, directors and producers, so I can't see why the British get to adapt Anna Karenina time and again.

I have not re-read the novel for a long time, but from my recollection Anna is about 28, Vronsky is between 21 and 23.
    And I agree, Vronsky in the upcoming movie fits the bill nicely
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1093951/

If Keira can pull Anna off, more power to her. We only have to wait till November.
    When I said about "slightly older", I meant only comparatively. A 28-year-old- society woman with a 7-year-old son, married to an older man probably "feels" a little older. Just a little. Not so much in looks, as in feeling.
    Last edited by dinakt; 05-28-2012 at 01:01 AM.
    improving my ballad- like lines

vCash
    First of all, I was not being that deep with the "awkward" comment. Second, you are the one drawing conclusions that I have no intention of making. "Every" actor? No. Of course not.
    Good to hear that! But then, altho' interesting, why bring up that Reese/ Ryan (who are long ago parted) tidbit if you weren't making some kind of "awkward" comparison?

I really don't understand why that latter part is even relevant. My assessment for Mr. Bingley being a dufus in the movies is because that's not how he is in the books. And yes, adaptations that take a fresh spin on things is nice. However, in this case, I believe character changes like that are a mistake. And if you like the way that Bingley was portrayed, okay then. I'm glad you're enjoying it.
    No "okay then" about it necessary. To each their own enjoyment. My enjoyment happily is not predicated upon your agreement or disagreement. But thanks anyway for your show of equanimity.

And about the video, when you first posted the links you had not quoted IceAlisa yet. Thus, I thought they were meant for me.
    Yeah, true. Drat the time lag with posting and number of posts that may intervene within seconds, natch. Unless specifically sent in a pm, posts with links are for everyone who enters the thread.

vCash
    Believe it or not, the screenwriter did her utmost to remain as faithful to the original novel as possible and to keep as much of the dialogue as possible, which of course is difficult with a time-limited theatrical film presentation.
    I am sorry, but she did not succeed and she has a strange idea of what being faithful to the original means. Show me where in the original there is a scene where Mr. Bennet leers at Mrs. Bennet, implying that the Bennets are about to have an episode of conjugal bliss. Sorry, but that is as far the original as you can get.

I do not object to the fact that this is not the 1995 version; I object to the fact that it is not really Pride and Prejudice. I have read P & P over 2 dozen times in my lifetime, and I think the 2005 version is an absolute insult.

vCash
    Rosamund Pike is not Simon Woods' type, though I don't know exactly when he told her this.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/stage/2009...ress-interview

Personally, I thought the way he played Bingley was all wrong for the character as described by Jane Austen. Ditto Judi Dench as Lady Catherine de Bourgh.

vCash
    Good to hear that! But then, altho' interesting, why bring up that Reese/ Ryan (who are long ago parted) tidbit if you weren't making some kind of "awkward" comparison?
    It was just an example as to how some professional actors can still be swayed by their lives off-camera.

My enjoyment happily is not predicated upon your agreement or disagreement.
    Nor did I say it should be.

ETA:
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Rosamund Pike is not Simon Woods' type, though I don't know exactly when he told her this.

Oh, well then! I didn't know that he was gay. That definitely changes things.
    Last edited by cailuj365; 05-27-2012 at 11:03 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post

Personally, I thought the way he played Bingley was all wrong for the character as described by Jane Austen. Ditto Judi Dench as Lady Catherine de Bourgh.
    Thanks Vagabond! In any case, they dated for two years, so obviously they had a connection. Plus its not unheard of for people to be bisexual, or for gays to date females.

I'm pretty sure Woods did not decide to portray Bingley that way all on his own. Surely the screenwriter and the director had some major say. I love Judi Dench as an actor, but I agree the interpretation of Lady Caroline and in particular the lighting in a crucial scene was very off-putting. Would be interesting to discover reasons behind this interpretive approach. Once again, tho' the aim of these filmmakers was not to remake what had been done before.

Gosh, emason, some of you Jane Austen purists are so irate about any adaptation that diverges in the slightest. You must be absolutely apoplectic over this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pride_a...ce_and_Zombies

vCash
    Vanity Fair is one of my all time favorite books, the one I go back to every few years or so.
    (since the P&P subject is fading) Can you please tell me what do you enjoy about the novel Vanity Fair? why is it one of your favorites?

For me it is one of the most annoying novels in the given genre and subject.

The 2004 film is also the most annoying version of all (film and TV productions), particularly for its attempt to present Becky Sharp as a likeable character who is fighting the high-society's prejudice.

I see no virtue in employing unconventional methods with great vigor only to become part of a conventional society.

I prefer Moll Flanders to Becky Sharp, at least the first one is an HONEST whore and a thief....

I'd be interested to hear what others find enjoyable about Vanity Fair.
    Last edited by Tinami Amori; 05-28-2012 at 10:50 PM.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Let's see:

--snark
    --irony
    --writing style
    --character development
    --story line
    --did I mention snark?

You don't have to like or approve of Becky Sharp to enjoy the book.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Let's see:

--snark
    --irony
    --writing style
    --character development
    --story line
    --did I mention snark?

You don't have to like or approve of Becky Sharp to enjoy the book.
    It's not just Becky Sharp... I also find no outstanding humor, irony, sarcasm, nor notable discordances, nor other interesting literary techniques usually present in the works of satirists of 19th century Europe...

The story line is quite banal... another social climber story, so it seems to me.

vCash
    Moll Flanders is on today on my cable channel in Seattle. 1996 version w/ Robin Wright and Morgan Freeman. Has anyone seen it?

vCash
    I think that Vanity Fair was without a doubt Thackeray's masterpiece. Slightly flawed, but a masterpiece nonetheless. I didn't care much for the novels that came after, where Thackeray's obsession with Mama T. became disturbingly obvious. Henry Esmond really creeped me out. Makes me want to skip The Virginians.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by iamawake2 View Post
    Moll Flanders is on today on my cable channel in Seattle. 1996 version w/ Robin Wright and Morgan Freeman. Has anyone seen it?
    It's a very loose, Hollywoodized adaptation. Okay if you haven't read the book, though.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by emason View Post
    Show me where in the original there is a scene where Mr. Bennet leers at Mrs. Bennet, implying that the Bennets are about to have an episode of conjugal bliss. Sorry, but that is as far the original as you can get.
    You've said this several times. I've seen the 2005 version dozens of times, as it is one of my favorite films, and Keira, for all the hate she's gotten in this thread, one of my absolute favorite actresses (though I certainly would not claim that she's perfect - she has a lot of learning to do). I have no idea where in the film Mr. Bennet leers at Mrs. Bennet. If he does, I certainly never noticed it.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast