Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

vCash
    I just remember the godawful leer that Donald Sutherland gives Brenda Blethyn at the end. The Bennet parents enjoying conjugal bliss - not! Austen makes that quite clear in the book.

Another wholehearted vote for Persuasion - the most perfect little jewel box of a movie.

vCash
    BTW, I can't think of another book/movie comparison that evokes such emotion in people. FSU is a good example of how people line up on all sides and hold their opinion so dearly. And in a way, that's a good thing.

I also forgot to mention that the 1940 version always bothered me because the costumes are just so wrong. Didn't anyone looks a pictures from that era before they filmed the movie?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KHenry14 View Post

I also forgot to mention that the 1940 version always bothered me because the costumes are just so wrong. Didn't anyone looks a pictures from that era before they filmed the movie?

That really bothers me too. I saw one of the actresses talking about it on TCM. She said that the director or producer or someone, I forget who, loved the visual of Mrs. Bennet billowing along like a ship in full sail with all her daughters following, and couldn't get the same effect with those nightgown-like dresses that would have been truer to the period. But the costumes always yank me right out of that film whenever I try to watch it.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KHenry14 View Post
    Yes, but I think that the costumes were chosen because the crinoline era look was so much more extravagant (what with enormous skirts and sleeves) than the restrained muslin empire-waisted dresses of the earlier era.
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cachoo View Post
    As I love the Amanda Root/Ciaran Hinds version of "Persuasion" I often wonder if they are a bit older than the characters in the book. I don't care though because I thought they were magic together. Good acting trumps almost any objections I have about age.
    My all-time favorite Austen film! I don't think Amanda Root was TOO much older (Anne is 27 in the book). Ciaran Hinds might be a trace old for Wentworth, though since he's a Captain he can't be TOO young. Everything worked, costumes/sets/casting/pacing, the whole deal. I really didn't like the new version, which felt like it was just constantly trying too hard.

And I'll take the BBC version of P&P. The sloppy house and clothes and hair isn't period for a family of the Bennets' class, and the story (by necessity) is compressed but not well.

Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5
    Yes, but I think that the costumes were chosen because the crinoline era look was so much more extravagant (what with enormous skirts and sleeves) than the restrained muslin empire-waisted dresses of the earlier era.
    No, the costumes were chosen because the studio had them left over (from Gone With the Wind in most cases) and had zero money to make new ones, so they went with what they had.

vCash
    Definitely Ehle/Firth version.

I hated the Keira Knightly version. The modernization of the story did not fit well. P&P is a classic, and should not be tampered with, JMO.

I liked Jennifer Ehle's Elizabeth. She came across as proud, intelligent, and vulnerable at the same time.

I did not like Knightly's pouting Elizabeth. I could not believe she got an Oscar nomination for that role. She is not a bad actress; she has some good performances in other movies, just not in this one.

Colin Firth is the best Mr. Darcy ever.

vCash
    Another thing I couldn't get past in the Keira K. version is just how bad her posture is; for a strong independent Lizzie she sure slumps over and sticks her head and neck forward a lot - just ugh. Sit up straight, girl; your posture is worse than mine and that is saying something.

Reality TV's Bytch
    vCash
    Here's another vote for the 1995 version of Persuasion. I love that movie. I wanted to like the new version but they ruined it with the running scene in Bath.

I like the Emma Thompson version of S&S, but the new version just feels more authentic and open. It seems to have all the details of the book. Plus, the actress who portrays Elinor is so expressive with her face.

vCash
    I vastly prefer the Amanda Root version of Persuasion as well. So nice to find fellow fans! Sometimes people talk like the newer version is the only one out there.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    1995 BBC version of "Pride and Prejudice" for me, hands down. I actually envision Elizabeth EXACTLY like Jennifer Ehle played her. That combination of brains, reserve and humor. I like everybody in 1995 version, Jane, Bingley, Mr. Collins etc. included ( and young Firth... no contest).
    I generally like Keira Knightly, but I don't see her as Lizzie Bennett.
    Last edited by dinakt; 05-24-2012 at 04:06 AM.
    improving my ballad- like lines

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
    Here's another vote for the 1995 version of Persuasion. I love that movie. I wanted to like the new version but they ruined it with the running scene in Bath.
    As well as with the rather unattractive climactic kiss. There's a moment where a little Hollywood touch would not have been unwanted. Haven't seen the 1995 version of Persuasion yet, but now it's on my to-see list!

Has anyone seen the newer BBC adaptation of Emma starring Romola Garai and Jonny Lee Miller? I thought it was really charming and splendid, but I haven't watched the Gwyneth Paltrow movie to compare.

vCash
    Persuasion was originally a movie in the theater - I saw it there. Later it was shown on Masterpiece Theater. Here is a promo for it - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4T5dl1isp8

The person who uploaded the promo also has links to a 12 part, 1971, version of Persuasion that I have not seen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AYS View Post

Agree with the above "as told by the Brontes" for the Knightly version. Austen was "classical"; the Brontes were "romantic".
    Exactly.

And I just do not like Keira Knightley in anything. She also didn't seem to have the slightest understanding of the book. I recall an article at the time where she described the Bennets as a happy and loving family. No way. There was all sorts of dysfunction going on there starting with the parents' miserable marriage and their blatant favoritism with their daughters.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    No, the costumes were chosen because the studio had them left over (from Gone With the Wind in most cases) and had zero money to make new ones, so they went with what they had.
    I don't think this is true. In 1940 MGM was the #1 studio in Hollywood. Pride and Prejudice was an A movie with a big budget. The costumes Walter Plunkett designed for Gone with the Wind were based on styles from the 1860s/70s. The costumes Adrian designed for Pride and Prejudice were based on styles from the 1830s. I don't remember whose decision it was - producer Hunt Stromburg, director Robert Z. Leonard, Adrian, or some combination of the three - but it was felt that the styles of the 1810s lacked the flamboyant feeling they wanted for the movie. Which to me sounds far more believable given Hollywood's general disregard for historical accuracy when it came to costumes for period pieces.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    Exactly.

And I just do not like Keira Knightley in anything. She also didn't seem to have the slightest understanding of the book. I recall an article at the time where she described the Bennets as a happy and loving family. No way. There was all sorts of dysfunction going on there starting with the parents' miserable marriage and their blatant favoritism with their daughters.
    I think this is what bugged me the most (next to her posture!) She just didn't seem to become Lizzie, where Jennifer E was exactly they way I expected Lizzie to be. Colin Firth as Darcy, well what can I say?
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    I love and watch and watch again the BBC version. BUT, my most fave adaptation is Bride & Prejudice. It's so silly; it is quite wonderful.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manleywoman View Post
    Here are my reasons why: (....)
    Great recap!

I am more comfortable (for some reason) with BBC/1995 version but like the 2005 as well.

Both versions have various pluses and minuses. 1995 seems to stay closer to Victorian times. In the 2005 film Keira Knightly is a transplant from another time. She should be playing the leading role in “Lost in Austen”…

The last scene in the US release (which is different from the UK release) “What endearments am I allowed, Mrs. Darcy” is completely out of place and “out of time”.
    ELIZABETH: Well, let me think. ‘Lizzy’ for every day. ‘My pearl’ for Sundays, and ‘Goddess Divine,’ but only on very special occasions.

UK version of the 2005 film ends with Mr. Bennet giving his approval to the marriage and ends the film with:

MR BENNET: If any young men come for Mary or Kitty then for Heaven’s sake send them in. I am quite at my leisure.
    The best ending of all is in the 1980 version..

But I'll take ANY P&P existing versions, starting 1940’s over other shows/movies we are stuck with on TV...

vCash
    I will say, the 2005 version does have a great musical score. I absolutely love "Dawn."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vYY0aRH46I
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mag View Post
    I will say, the 2005 version does have a great musical score. I absolutely love "Dawn."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vYY0aRH46I
    Me too! I love it, have it on my iPod. This would be such a typical Csizny program.

Does anyone know how to get a hold of the music score for Dawn for piano?
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cailuj365 View Post
    As well as with the rather unattractive climactic kiss. There's a moment where a little Hollywood touch would not have been unwanted. Haven't seen the 1995 version of Persuasion yet, but now it's on my to-see list!

Has anyone seen the newer BBC adaptation of Emma starring Romola Garai and Jonny Lee Miller? I thought it was really charming and splendid, but I haven't watched the Gwyneth Paltrow movie to compare.
    I've seen it, but my favorite adaptation is the A&E version with Kate Beckinsale as Emma. That version really brings in the Frank Churchill/Jane Fairfax story strongly. I don't like Mark Strong's Knightly, though - waaay too angry/preachy! Jeremy Northam is my favorite Mr. Knightly.
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast