Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by martyross View Post
    humiliate herself? don't you think you take a stupid skating show too seriously?
    Yes, i think most people pay to see World or Olympic medalists skate at the high level, not a single axel or just gliding around. They are not stupid as you thought.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Willowway View Post
    I don't think it's a matter of humiliation or not for her. I think, as we have been discussing for a while, that one should do this sort of thing if really interested in competing and I'll bet she's not really interested. And that's fine because not everyone is. She's also self-aware enough to make a decision that's right for her. I think that's pretty good.
    I agree with this, though I wonder why she had agreed to it in the first place? I'm not familiar with this competition...was it originally supposed to have been more of an exhibition and less of a competition? Or was it just that perhaps she intended to put in the training time and then didn't have time to do it?

I haven't seen Kimmie Meissner skate in awhile - has she kept up with her training?

In any case, this competition is shaping up to be quite exciting...hope we'll see videos!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by seabm7 View Post
    That's great! She really deserves it.
    Really? Out of all the contestants in this competition, she sure doesn't seem to be fitting in the group, no offense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by marysy View Post
    I haven't seen Kimmie Meissner skate in awhile - has she kept up with her training?
    Exhibition clips I've seen recently told me that she was in a fine shape.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by l'etoile View Post
    Exhibition clips I've seen recently told me that she was in a fine shape.
    The hardest jump Kimmie does now is the 2A. If Irina and Shizuka, who are older than Kimmie, pull out triples then it'll look kinda bad for Kimmie from a competition perspective. But I'm sure there are people out there who'll enjoy watching her skate (I'm not one of them )

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    The hardest jump Kimmie does now is the 2A. If Irina and Shizuka, who are older than Kimmie, pull out triples then it'll look kinda bad for Kimmie from a competition perspective. But I'm sure there are people out there who'll enjoy watching her skate (I'm not one of them )
    Maybe Kimmie can train a triple toe. Who knows--she may already have one that is fairly consistent, but not worth trying in a show. She was a pretty good jumper when she first started out. In any event, this competition is supposed to be more about artistry than jumps, isn't it? I would like to see Kimmie and all of the others.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by l'etoile View Post
    Really? Out of all the contestants in this competition, she sure doesn't seem to be fitting in the group, no offense.
    They need 6 professional/retired ISU medalists who can still handle 3 jumping passes. The pool is quite small.

Kwan hasn't been skating since she moved to Washington DC. Sasha Cohen is a full time student. After Sarah Hughes, the next in line would be either Kimmie Meissner or Fumie Suguri. Also Elena Sokolova if she is still skating actively.

ETA: I just realized Yuka Sato and Surya Bonaly are still doing shows. The pool could be enlarged when the older generation is included.
    Last edited by seabm7; 09-01-2012 at 03:41 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by seabm7 View Post
    They need 6 professional/retired ISU medalists who can still handle 3 jumping passes. The pool is quite small.

Kwan hasn't been skating since she moved to Washington DC. Sasha Cohen is a full time student. After Sarah Hughes, the next in line would be either Kimmie Meissner or Fumie Suguri. Also Elena Sokolova if she is still skating actively.

ETA: I just realized Yuka Sato and Surya Bonaly are still doing shows. The pool could be enlarged when the older generation is included.
    I think this is sadly a byproduct of the lack of professional skating opportunities nowadays. In the 90s, a lot of the top skaters kept up with their training after retirement due to the professional competitions and shows that were out there, but perhaps this could be the beginning of a resurgence of these types of competitions, at least in Asia.

I thought I had seen Alexei Urmanov's name somewhere in one of these three Japan comps/shows but can't seem to find it anywhere. I know the roster is full, but he might be a good candidate for these types of things. I don't know if he's training full programs, but from what I've heard of people training with him in Sweden, he still has the jumps. Brian Joubert mentioned being very impressed with him last summer that he was doing all the exercises with his students.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by marysy View Post
    I agree with this, though I wonder why she had agreed to it in the first place? I'm not familiar with this competition...was it originally supposed to have been more of an exhibition and less of a competition? Or was it just that perhaps she intended to put in the training time and then didn't have time to do it?

In any case, this competition is shaping up to be quite exciting...hope we'll see videos!
    Who put her name on the list to begin with?

vCash
    Besides, I would say 90 percent of the audience in shows don't know the name of the jumps and if they are doubles or triples. The show audience differs from the audience who is in the competitions. For some of them it's the first time seeing figure skating live. That is not very motivating for the retired skaters so I don't wonder why they won't keep up their jumps.

vCash
    The hardest jump Kimmie does now is the 2A.
    Not true. She did triple toes in shows last season. And yes, she has been training, and yes, she does belong with those ladies in this competition.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I would love to see Meissner skate now. She had just started to find her own natural elegance when she left eligible skating.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

GPF Barcelona here I come
    NYC, New Mexico, Azores, Cape Cod then Barcelona :)
    vCash
    So I'm a little late to this thread.. I had absolutely no idea that there was going to be a show/competition of this caliber.. I would do just about anything to see this if it was on my continent.. for those of you who can go I look forward to your reports.. I would pay in a heartbeat to see so many of these skaters and I don't care about the jumping aspect as the artistry alone and programs I'm sure will be worth it.. Sluts & Yags and so many more.. is this going to be on TV???
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

vCash
    I saw a video of Meinner skate recently, and yes there were no triple jumps, but she looked in decent shape and her skating skills and style were greatly improved.

If she's serious about doing this, I could see her getting a toe and/or sal back.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 4rkidz View Post
    is this going to be on TV???
    Yes, in Japan (I posted the TV Tokyo dates earlier in the thread), but they have no plans to broadcast outside of Japan or stream it, unfortunately.

vCash
    I am I loved Kimmie and I can't believe I will see her skate in a competition again, even if it's a format like this. Super excited

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by casken View Post
    I saw a video of Meinner skate recently, and yes there were no triple jumps, but she looked in decent shape and her skating skills and style were greatly improved.

If she's serious about doing this, I could see her getting a toe and/or sal back.
    I just watched Pandora's Moments of Love on Ice again today and Kimmie did a triple toe.

vCash
    Sorry about the confusion - Sarah Meier's gonna participate.

According to the Japanese article above, you need a medal of Oly Games, Worlds, Grand-Prix Finals, Euros or Four Continents to qualify for MWO. So among American ladies, technically some amateurs like Mirai Nagasu, Ashley Wagner, Caroline Zhang and and Alissa Czisny - I suppose they all could have been possible to participate. Of course they've got their schedules and priorities though. Wagner's going to compete at Japan Open, not MWO, and it sounds natural too, 'cause JO is mainly a battle of eligibles (especially for ladies).

Japanese figure skating fans appreciate pro skaters' coming all the way to Japan from overseas. As mentioned above, the main factor is artistry here, so we hope all the participants enjoy their experience.

BTW this is off topic, but it's surprising Midori Ito still competes in the adult competition in Germany, last year and this year as well. She's got challenge spirit ...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by babayaga View Post
    I am I loved Kimmie and I can't believe I will see her skate in a competition again, even if it's a format like this. Super excited
    Don't me wrong.. I do like Kimmie.. I do wish they would have found a really voidy lady. But who?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by krenseby View Post
    Don't me wrong.. I do like Kimmie.. I do wish they would have found a really voidy lady. But who?
    Laeticia Hubert or Bonaly...voidy and ladies' skating don't come in hand very often

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast