vCash

Public Service Announcement - Watch Out!

PLEASE watch were you are and what/who is around you!

I was up in the air halfway through a salchow when out of the corner of my eye I caught this little girl about 7 or 8yo go sliding right under me (I guess she fell nearby). I put my feet together and came down on both feet up on my toes.

This kid was literally touching the bottoms of my blades! One extra second and she would have been toast. It's horrifying to think what would have happened to her if I hadn't seen her while up in the air. A blade through the face, a punctured femoral artery, a blade in the skull and brain damage, broken bones from me landing on top of her... thank God I saw her!

And even after that near death experience, the kid still did not watch where she was going.

vCash
    Most of us who skate have been through this kind of thing or had collisions with others on the ice. Try being bowled over by a member of the public mid spin. Or have someone come at you doing a back spiral. Or skate in a public session with a bunch of rabid hockey players that the rink management are not controlling. Or crash into a seven year old in a warm up of a competition and come off second best.

It is one of the dangers of skating.
    Last edited by Aussie Willy; 05-13-2012 at 12:43 AM.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    This was a potentially deadly situation. It's one thing to have someone's toe picks rip across your leg (has happened to me twice, got the scars), or get knocked over from a leg stretched out while spinning. But it's totally different when a small child is right under an you laying on the ice while your blade is about to go down on her with your entire body weight, your free leg sweep across to cut her nose off her face, and then your body which is twice her weight falls down top of her as I would have if I had landed on her.

vCash
    Skating is a risky sport. There is potential for people to get hurt or hurt themselves everyday. Oblivious little kids put themselves in danger all the time by getting in they way or skating directly into people. What you describe could be a potential consequence of any incident on the ice and that is not just kids.

But I think most of us who skate are fully aware of the dangers and what the consequences are of any incident or action of others.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by treesprite View Post
    PLEASE watch were you are and what/who is around you!

I was up in the air halfway through a salchow when out of the corner of my eye I caught this little girl about 7 or 8yo go sliding right under me (I guess she fell nearby). I put my feet together and came down on both feet up on my toes.

This kid was literally touching the bottoms of my blades! One extra second and she would have been toast. It's horrifying to think what would have happened to her if I hadn't seen her while up in the air. A blade through the face, a punctured femoral artery, a blade in the skull and brain damage, broken bones from me landing on top of her... thank God I saw her!

And even after that near death experience, the kid still did not watch where she was going.
    Can you please tell us what Level you believe this Girl might have been at? As well as what Session the Rink was holding at the time? it sounds to me that either you and the Girl are both Freestyle Skaters at different Levels. She just feel in a bad place. Or it was Freestyle Ice-Time and wasn't surposed to be there.