Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriajh View Post
    people.com has a lovely video of euginie showing off the queens playhouse- euginie really seems lovely and caring about her gran- it is so nice to see- a very well rounded young woman
    Sounds great, but a link to it would have been just as great.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Oh how fun! Does everyone know this game? It's sort of like two person solitaire, with a lot of rules about the order in which moves are made, and the polite signal of knocking gently on the table when your opponent makes an error. It's usually played with very small cards made just for this game, often with lovely illustrations. Very courtly
    I've never heard of it and asked my Parents if they knew and got puzzled looks back at me in return. Thanks for the explaination of what the game is.

My great grandmother loved this game, and I have happy childhood memories of playing it with her in her sitting room in Germany, along with my mother and grandmother.
    I have similar ones w/my Great Aunt Nellie and us playing 21 and a couple of other card games. I miss her and my Great Aunt Noreen so much sometimes and this weekend will be one of those times when it comes to my Great Aunt Noreen. I didn't realize she was as into the Royals as me until Edward and Sophie's Wedding and she came down to watch it w/us and then enjoy our little Wedding Luncheon we had afterwards.

I missed her so badly last April while watching William and Kate's Wedding and will be missing her badly this coming weekend too. She would have *loved* all of the stuff that'll be happening to celebrate the Jubiliee.

Quote Originally Posted by Eva View Post
    The Norwegian King and Queen 75th birthdays is beeing celebrated today by the official Norway. 3000 kindergarden kids singing infront of the castle in Oslo. And later tonight there is a royal gala show outside at the Opera. http://www.kongehuset.no/c26939/nyhe...tml?tid=101123
    Thanks for both the heads up about it and the link. A very Happy Birthday to both of Their Majesties!!

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post

I missed her so badly last April while watching William and Kate's Wedding and will be missing her badly this coming weekend too. She would have *loved* all of the stuff that'll be happening to celebrate the Jubiliee.
    Aw, I often think of my beloved grandmother (the one mentioned above) on these occasions too. She was a lifelong subscriber to Majesty magazine, and was very proud of our distant connections (I have a third cousin who is one of those obscure European royals, descended from Queen Victoria, and therefore fourth cousin to Prince Charles). It would have been so much fun to go enjoy these events with her

vCash
    Thank you, Garden Kitty! It seems as if BBC America will be my channel of choice in the coming days.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    I'm looking forward to seeing the queen atop this heckuva golden rowboat, GLORIANA:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ge-Thames.html

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Liberal Furry
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Well, the technical name of the tower is St Stephen's Tower. Big Ben is the name of the largest bell in the carillon. So I don't have a problem with changing the name of the tower.

People will still call it Big Ben- even though it that has never been the official name.
    I know. But I do not approve. And I am not resigned.
    (Edna St Vincent Millay)

vCash
    American television coverage of the jubilee.

http://blog.royalroundup.com/2012/05...style.html?m=1
    'Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.'--John Wayne

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cygnus View Post
    Well, the technical name of the tower is St Stephen's Tower. Big Ben is the name of the largest bell in the carillon. So I don't have a problem with changing the name of the tower.

People will still call it Big Ben- even though it that has never been the official name.
    Actually the tower holding Big Ben is known as the Clock Tower -St Stephens Tower is positioned in the middle of the west front of the Palace of Westminster, between Westminster Hall and Old Palace Yard, and houses the public entrance to the Houses of Parliament, known as St. Stephen's Entrance. It is frequently being mixed up with the Clock Tower housing Big Ben.

Also if one reads the entire article lined by IceAlisa - as well as several others around - it acknowledges that the nickname of Big Ben will still stay - it is just the tower that is being re-named. IMHO that is pretty cool and a huge honour to HM

vCash
    This isn't Royal or Jubilee related per se but Sainsbury's has released a new cookbook called "Cook Britain"

http://www.sainsburysentertainment.c...duct=E11054650

In Canada, Canadian Living magazine has imported it and my sister picked it up at Metro for $15.99. She says it's a gorgeous book.

I think this might be the actual book my sister purchased. She's is texting me the history of Sainsbury's from the book so I am hoping it is the same with a different cover.

http://www.canadianliving.com/food/e...ok_britain.php
    Last edited by Parsley Sage; 06-02-2012 at 03:04 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    I'm looking forward to seeing the queen atop this heckuva golden rowboat, GLORIANA:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ge-Thames.html
    She's not on Gloriana. She's on the Royal Barge/Spirit of Chartwell.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...r-Pageant.html

vCash
    Anyone interested in making one of HM's favourite desserts for their celebrations this weekend?

CBC ~ Diamond Jubliee ~ Queen's beloved chocolate pie recipe revealed

Looks yummy!!!

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Want!!!
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    HEADS UP CANADIANS!!!

I've got the Canada/Poland Volleyball World League game on the CBC right now and they just announced that at 5pm, immediately following the Volleyball, they'll be showing the Epsom Derby from earlier today in Britain. As they usually use the British coverage for any British racing they show, and this is the officiall kick off to the Jubliee Weekend, there's bound to be more than the fair share of Royal sightings during the coverage.

Just letting those who can catch it know.

vCash
    Here's Mad Hattery about today's Epsom Derby hats (and Princess Eugenie's manicure).

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned here before, but Mad Hattery was actually my introduction to all things royal after someone linked to it on Tom and Lorenzo back in 2010, and it has very browsable archives.

Official FSU Alte Kacher
    vCash
    Whilst I’m not a British subject, I have no problem with naming the Clock Tower “Elizabeth Tower” as it makes a nice book-end, as it were, with Victoria Tower at the other end. After all, they are the two longest reigning monarchs. Big Ben will always be Big Ben. The only difference is the name of the tower in which it hangs.
    "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity”– MLK

vCash
    Found this about last week's Christening in Sweden...

Sofia's Blog ~ Christening ratings & Crown Princess Victoria’s prayer

During the christening ceremony Crown Princess Victoria read a prayer, here it is translated from Swedish:

God we thank you for our child. For the gift that you have given and the confidence that you have shown us. Give us affection, resolution and calm; help us to pass on your love to the child that we have been given the responsibility for. In the name of Jesus, amen.
    What a lovely prayer.

Failing her snatch
    vCash
    I went to an awesome street party for the jubilee yesterday (Saturday) afternoon. Not in my street but at one of my best friends in a pretty much multi cultural area of the city.

Was brilliant to see so many people turn up with a mountain of food, ranging from Cornish Pasties and Welsh Cawl to Samosas and Carribean style Jerk Chicken.

Was an amazing experience to celebrate and met loads of lovely people.

Cheers Lizzy! Enjoy your celebrations!
    Dont Hate! Gyrate!

vCash
    River Pageant getting going - BBC showing it live with Prince Charles and Camilla arriving and now the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry arriving!! Kate in a lovely red outfit and the men in their respective active duty uniforms - Pricnce William looking very regal in his RAF officer uniform!!!

vCash
    And now HM arrives - regal in white with what I assume are simulated diamond spots on her coat!!!

vCash
    BBC's online stream is not geo-blocked!!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18234049
    'Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.'--John Wayne

Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast