Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

vCash
    I like the Duchess' pink dress more, with the addition of the hat:
    http://whatkatewore.com/wp-content/u...dium-Shot-.jpg

The hat gives the dress additional panache; and makes a complete "ensemble".
    She wore "nude" pumps for this occasion, rather than the pink ones that she wore for the Sovereign's Luncheon.

vCash
    That is by far my favourite hat! She looks fabulous with the bigger brim.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Love the hat. The dress though doesn't fit her well: http://www.justjared.com/photo-galle...-tea-party-07/ It's just poorly constructed, look at where the waist is and how uneven the lapel looks.

I assume it's the same one she wore to the sovereign luncheon.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Wow does that hat look amazing on Kate. I agree, it's the brim and the angle of it. Frames her face wonderfully.

Anyone else watch the two hour special on ABC tonight along w/the interviews w/William and Harry? I thought it was excellent.

vCash
    ^ They had a few footage mistakes in the first 1/2, but the whole thing was charming. I've always enjoyed the dorky yet adorable Katie Couric.

I'm really impressed with William. Harry was perfect, just as you would expect.
    Last edited by Fergus; 05-30-2012 at 05:12 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    That's a shame zaphyre, as you'd think they'd put more effort into it. So envious though you got to see those gowns. As most here know, I knit, crochet, embroider and do counted cross stitch, so to be able to see those gowns would just be such a highlight for me. Especially Victoria's Wedding Gown. The lacework on it must just be beyond exquisite.

What were the five dresses of Diana's that were on display?

I can't wait to watch the interview w/William and Harry tonight. Need to double check the time and get the DVR rev'ed up and ready.
    I saw the wedding dress exhibit at kp a few years ago , they featured, Mary, Elizabeth ii and elizabth the queen mum, and Victoria ( there were five I can't remember the last one) Victoria 's was SO tiny!!! All be it beautiful

At althorpe I saw diana s dress, it was fantastic up close, they had many of he out fits but what shocked me most was they looked totally different colours in real life!!! As In I thought they were green and they we're really blue!

vCash

Anyone else watch the two hour special on ABC tonight along w/the interviews w/William and Harry? I thought it was excellent.

I forgot about it. Any idea if it's available online?
    'Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.'--John Wayne

vCash
    That's a shame zaphyre, as you'd think they'd put more effort into it. So envious though you got to see those gowns. As most here know, I knit, crochet, embroider and do counted cross stitch, so to be able to see those gowns would just be such a highlight for me. Especially Victoria's Wedding Gown. The lacework on it must just be beyond exquisite.

What were the five dresses of Diana's that were on display?

I can't wait to watch the interview w/William and Harry tonight. Need to double check the time and get the DVR rev'ed up and ready.
    I think I was especially disappointed because the previous two times I'd been to Kensington Palace, large portions of it had been closed to prepare for the Victoria exhibit. With almost a year to prepare, I thought they'd do more than strip out the furnishings and paint some short quotes on the walls.

I'm not a Diana fan so I don't remember the dresses (there was a blue one and a pink and purple gown that she wore in Thailand, I think). But the exhibit was really small and the accompanying texts were just dates and locations, along with some press clipping photos of Diana wearing the dresses. A couple of them had the original sketches from the designers with them. Again, nothing that you couldn't get from the pages of a fashion magazine or even The Daily Mail.

I did spend almost four hours in the Palace so I guess I got my 15 pounds worth, but since most of that was spent squinting at tiny pint on the cards and avoiding the herds of very young (5 and 6 year olds), very bored school children being shuttled through the halls, I didn't leave feeling good. Of course, the fact that I smacked my shinbone on a pipe running along the baseboard of one of the dark hallways when I stepped aside for a group of said children didn't improve my experience.

The displays at Leeds Castle (redecorated in the 1930's by an American-born socialite heiress) were much better and more interesting, especially the parts about how a room that built in the 1300's as the Grand Solar evolved into a Master Bedroom and then finally into the servants' dining room. Plus the peacocks and rare swans in the gardens were really cool!
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ChelleC View Post
    I forgot about it. Any idea if it's available online?
    See the ABC News YT page:
    http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...Q&feature=plcp

Scroll down.
    Most of the clips are there.
    Someone will probably try to post the complete program, also.

I was truly impressed with William.
    His interview had just the right mix of frankness, charm, and self-deprecation.
    He's learned the lessons taught by his mother, the Queen, and father - very well.
    Harry will be a wonderful adjunct and help to him in the years ahead.

I loved the story about William's wedding day uniform!

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    I was truly impressed with William.
    His interview had just the right mix of frankness, charm, and self-deprecation.
    He's learned the lessons taught by his mother, the Queen, and father - very well.
    He has indeed and I was also so impressed w/how William came across. He's come a very long way.

Harry will be a wonderful adjunct and help to him in the years ahead.
    I was also so impressed w/how far Harry's come too. That charm and goofiness is still there, but it's been tempered by maturity too. He's going to a wonderful "helper" to his brother and sister in law in the future.

I loved the story about William's wedding day uniform!
    So did I. I also loved the one Eugenie told about how they all get together to play the card game Patience and how Granny tends to win the majority of the games. Just picturing that scene had me...

vCash
    Does anyone know why HMQ insisted on the uniform of the Irish Guards, instead of William's choice?

vCash
    No clue why, but I can speculate.

1. She wanted him to wear the uniform for which he has the highest rank in, which is a Colonel of the Irish Guards.

2. She felt the uniform he wanted to wear not as appropriate/good looking as the Irish Guard one, which just screams "royal".

I'm bound to go with #1.

vCash
    Does anyone know why HMQ insisted on the uniform of the Irish Guards, instead of William's choice?
    Both were from the Irish Guards. Will wanted to wear the frock coat, HMQE insisted on the red tunic. I think the red tunic is the more formal option. And it just looked better. He did wear the frock coat when they left the palace in the car after the reception.

vCash
    people.com has a lovely video of euginie showing off the queens playhouse- euginie really seems lovely and caring about her gran- it is so nice to see- a very well rounded young woman

vCash
    IIRC, HRH The Duke of Cambridge's rank in the Irish Guards is his highest. I remember reading that HMQ insisted on it b/c of that. AND the red made him look truly like a Prince Charming.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    I missed all this as I have been travelling for work

Will just have to keep an eye out for reruns.

I also loved the one Eugenie told about how they all get together to play the card game Patience and how Granny tends to win the majority of the games. Just picturing that scene had me...
    Oh how fun! Does everyone know this game? It's sort of like two person solitaire, with a lot of rules about the order in which moves are made, and the polite signal of knocking gently on the table when your opponent makes an error. It's usually played with very small cards made just for this game, often with lovely illustrations. Very courtly

My great grandmother loved this game, and I have happy childhood memories of playing it with her in her sitting room in Germany, along with my mother and grandmother.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Last edited by Garden Kitty; 05-31-2012 at 03:16 PM.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    The Norwegian King and Queen 75th birthdays is beeing celebrated today by the official Norway. 3000 kindergarden kids singing infront of the castle in Oslo. And later tonight there is a royal gala show outside at the Opera. http://www.kongehuset.no/c26939/nyhe...tml?tid=101123

vCash
    Hope this works:
    http://abc.go.com/watch/2020/SH55902...h-katie-couric

Definitely enjoyed it and it really drove home how impressive a job she did having ascended at such an unexpectedly young age.

vCash
    ^^^
    Thanks - it does!

Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast