Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    I just think Mrs Zuckerberg's ring looks like something out of a catalogue.
    Exactly. And not a design I'd pick for an engagement/wedding ring. Just a regular ring, perhaps. But if that's what she likes, then who am I to judge?

From the Bloc
    vCash
    We're not judging, we're offering critique.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Back to happenings at the Palace...A very special moment in History took place this week. Not to mention an incredable moment of great pride for us Canadians...

Telegraph ~ Queen guarded by Canadian Mounties today

One *big* boo boo in that thing though...

Wearing their distinctive wide-brimmed Stetson hats, the Mounties will wear their navy blue uniform and ties and carry lances instead of swords in their right hands. They will perform the guard on Wednesday and Friday this week
    This was talked about on all of the major newscasts on Wednesday and they were all wearing their distinctive red serge Ceremonial Dress Uniforms while on duty outside the Palace. Now the blue ones mentioned, they did wear those for training and the final rehershal, but when it came to showtime, the Mounties looked just like what everyone thinks a Mountie should like.

Another bit of History...First time a female officer has taken part as the Ceremonial Guard.

I can't imagine how Canadians in London felt on Wednesday and today seeing the RCMP taking part. Must have just been such an amazing moment for them.
    Last edited by AragornElessar; 05-25-2012 at 10:33 PM.

Liberal Furry
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    We're not judging, we're offering critique.
    Well, I think it's beautiful, and I would wear it any day. So there.
    I know. But I do not approve. And I am not resigned.
    (Edna St Vincent Millay)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    I'd be more curious as to why Charles and Camilla weren't there, since Princess Victoria and Prince Charles are both first in line to the throne. Prince William's counterpart is Princess Estelle, not Princess Victoria.
    I know but I remember that the media in Germany reported William and Harry didn't attend because they were in South Africa.
    I guess the reason is the same for all concerned?

vCash
    To mark HM's Diamond Jubliee, The Royal Archives have released Queen Victoria's Journals online for all to see and go through.

Queen Victoria's Journals

I can't *wait* to start going through them.

Also...The Official Pictures from Princess Estelle's Christening have been released and can be seen over at the Swedish RF's website. I can't seem to get the blasted thing to load for me for some reason and I finally gave up trying to see them after try number seven. Good Luck to everyone else who tries to see them.

vCash
    Thanks for that link AragornElessar, my Dad was in the Musical Ride, but just missed out on the coronation due to health reasons. My Godfather was part of the contingent though, and was invited back for the Queens Silver Jubilee.

vCash
    I've bookmarked the link.
    I can already tell that there is much for me to enjoy!

vCash
    Your Welcome!!

I found this facsinating...

Daily Mail ~ Majestic! Exclusive personal photos and letters written by the Queen that give a remarkable new insight into her 60 glorious years on the throne

edited to add...FINALLY!!

Royal Court of Sweden ~ Official Pictures of the Royal Family

I love the one of the happy little family together and the one of Estelle being held by the King. The happiness of the day just radiates off of the pictures.
    Last edited by AragornElessar; 05-28-2012 at 07:06 AM.

vCash
    That account of the Coronation is amazing!

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    'Lilibet' is an adorable nickname. It's what a toddler would come up with if they had trouble with 'Elizabeth'.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    'Lilibet' is an adorable nickname. It's what a toddler would come up with if they had trouble with 'Elizabeth'.
    I think that's actually how it came to be - HM couldn't pronounce it properly when she was little.

I've mentioned this book before in the libro thread, but I highly recommend Marion Crawford's "The Little Princesses" - she was the nursemaid to both Elizabeth and Margaret and the book covers their childhood up through Charles' birth. Sadly, "Crawfie" was basically exiled from the family for exposing so much of their privacy, but it really is a fascinating read. Just adorable little anecdotes, one after another.

vCash
    I have The Little Princesses and it is a shame Crawfie was exiled for writing it, as it truly is a love letter to the Royal Family. There's nothing in it whatsoever scandalous and is just a book about a Family in extraordinary circumstances. The love she felt for all of them just shines through the pages.

I do remember reading about her first meeting w/the then Princess Elizabeth of York and how she was in her bed w/belts (IIRC) around the bedframe and she was "driving" her team of horses through the Park. All I could think was how not surprised I was about that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    I have The Little Princesses and it is a shame Crawfie was exiled for writing it, as it truly is a love letter to the Royal Family. There's nothing in it whatsoever scandalous and is just a book about a Family in extraordinary circumstances. The love she felt for all of them just shines through the pages.
    I have this book as well, and agree. Although I do understand why the RF was upset... at that point, they were very private people, their status notwithstanding. To have someone write about your private life without your permission, even if you are a public figure, well, I can see why she was shunned.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nerdycool View Post
    I have this book as well, and agree. Although I do understand why the RF was upset... at that point, they were very private people, their status notwithstanding. To have someone write about your private life without your permission, even if you are a public figure, well, I can see why she was shunned.
    Oh, I understand why they shunned her and the times were indeed far different from today. Still, it is a shame because it truly is, as I said, a book written w/much love and affection poured into it.

edited to add...Found this while going over various links tonight.

TV New Zealand ~ Princess reveals Queen's private side

When she isn't at college, Eugenie lives with her divorced parents and sister Beatrice at Royal Lodge in Windsor where Queen Elizabeth grew up and Eugenie admitted it must be difficult for her grandmother to return there without her beloved late sister Princess Margaret.

She added: "When she comes back here she remembers her childhood.

"It must be so sad not to have Margaret around any more. I'm sure she's looking down, very proud of her sister."
    I just thought what a lovely and sweet thing of Eugenie to both think and say about her Grandmother and how she must feel about missing her sister. Especially this year.
    Last edited by AragornElessar; 05-29-2012 at 04:55 AM.

vCash

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    I'm pretty sure all you North American royal watchers already know about this broadcast but just in case... It's on tonight.

http://www.examiner.com/article/diam...ic-airs-may-29
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    To mark HM's Diamond Jubliee, The Royal Archives have released Queen Victoria's Journals online for all to see and go through.

Queen Victoria's Journals

I can't *wait* to start going through them.
    With all this to work with, I', even more surprised at how shallow and superficial the new "Victoria Revealed" exhibit at Kensington Palace is. I'm not a Victoria scholar by any means and there was very little there that I didn't already know. In fact, the most interesting thing for me were the two dresses in the first room: the mourning dress (once black, now faded to a magnificent bronze)she was wearing when she was first told that she was queen, and her wedding dress with the stunning lacework. While I understand the need to keep the lighting dim to preserve the artifacts, they should either have focussed the lights better so that the cards labelling items weren't in darkness or handed out penlight flashlights to visitors. Also, it's a real shame that they'd stripped the furniture from most of the rooms, thus removing all semblance of the Palace as a dwelling place. Even the tiny display of five of Diana's gowns felt flat and souless to me. Except for the delightful young man selling tickets (whose enthusiastic greetings and welcomes to everyone made everyon in the line smile) and two of the older guides stationed in the museum, even the emplyees seemed bored.
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

vCash
    That's a shame zaphyre, as you'd think they'd put more effort into it. So envious though you got to see those gowns. As most here know, I knit, crochet, embroider and do counted cross stitch, so to be able to see those gowns would just be such a highlight for me. Especially Victoria's Wedding Gown. The lacework on it must just be beyond exquisite.

What were the five dresses of Diana's that were on display?

I can't wait to watch the interview w/William and Harry tonight. Need to double check the time and get the DVR rev'ed up and ready.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast