Page 13 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alixana View Post
    Watching the CBC version of the concert .. Tom Jones is amazing!!!
    I wish he had had more songs - they could have cut Kylie by half and added in a couple more for Tom there (or cut her altogether - I really don't 'get' her ).

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Alfie Boe and his “O Sole Mio/It’s Now or Never” segue as well as his duet with Renne Fleming of 'Somewhere' on the balcony - simply

recovering Oly-holic
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorac View Post
    I wish he had had more songs - they could have cut Kylie by half and added in a couple more for Tom there (or cut her altogether - I really don't 'get' her ).

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Alfie Boe and his “O Sole Mio/It’s Now or Never” segue as well as his duet with Renne Fleming of 'Somewhere' on the balcony - simply
    Ditto to Kylie. CBC didn't show Alfie at all or Gary Barlow/Cheryl Cole. Probably missed a few others as well. They did show Renee Fleming aria.

PVR'd ABC coverage of concert. They cut out most of the best bits (IMO) except for Tom Jones' Delilah. Katie Couric was imo.

recovering Oly-holic
    vCash
    Upthread someone asked about the brooches HMQ was wearing during her broadcast.

Found this (see #8) as well as this site. Think I'm now hooked on brooches AND tiaras!!

vCash
    ^^^
    I was the one who asked. Thanks for the link!
    #8 appears to be a set of "Dress Clips". They were popular in the 1930-40's.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Here's the Queen's message on youtube - love it!

Now, royal watchers, tell me whose wedding photo that is behind her, next to the lovely portrait of Will and Kate?
    Everyone else is right. That's Edward and Sophie's Wedding Picture in the background. Thanks for the link to HM's message.

Quote Originally Posted by floskate View Post
    Just back at the hotel now. Mr Flo and I are drenched, exhausted but on a high from witnessing our country's history first hand. Will write much more detail tomorrow but What an incredible occasion!!
    Can't wait to read all about it!!

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorac View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alixana View Post
    Ditto to Kylie. CBC didn't show Alfie at all or Gary Barlow/Cheryl Cole. Probably missed a few others as well.
    As Alixana said, he wasn't shown and don't ask me how ticked I was about that last night. I've become a huge Alfie fan thanks to the 25th Anniversary Les Mis concert and was hoping he'd be shown last night. The CBC had other ideas however.

To add to the list of the not shown, they didn't show Shirley Bassey either.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    CRIME! Not to show Dame Shirley? Hopefully there's a DVD....

I heard she sang "Diamonds Are Forever"? Too apropos! Though so would have been her cover of Pink's "Get The Party Started".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    As Alixana said, he wasn't shown and don't ask me how ticked I was about that last night. I've become a huge Alfie fan thanks to the 25th Anniversary Les Mis concert and was hoping he'd be shown last night. The CBC had other ideas however.

Here's Renee Fleming and Alfie Boe "Somewhere" / The Diamond Jubilee BBC Concert
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNYfG...eature=related

and

Shirley Bassey - Diamonds Are Forever - Tom Jones - Delilah (2012 Diamond Jubilee)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8RO5-DAGm0

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    Here's Renee Fleming and Alfie Boe "Somewhere" / The Diamond Jubilee BBC Concert
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNYfG...eature=related

and

Shirley Bassey - Diamonds Are Forever - Tom Jones - Delilah (2012 Diamond Jubilee)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8RO5-DAGm0
    And here is his “O Sole Mio/It’s Now or Never” combo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsJJbjAx_AU

As I said - simply

Vacant
    vCash
    Ok here we go!!!!

Before I get onto the 'day' itself, I must mention the Monday in London. Everywhere we turned people were partying and the jubilee spirit really had taken hold of the capital. We had tickets booked to see Sweeney Todd with Michael Ball and Imelda Staunton at the Adelphi and by chance we met up with some good friends of ours who happened to be there for the same performance. Drinks after lasted into the early hours but the atmosphere was so infectious across the West End with impromptu partying and feestivities spilling out of bars and pubs into the streets. What can sometimes seem a rather trheatening atmosphere was the exact opposite and London, which can be quite a cold and detatched city, seemed warm and welcoming at every turn. Suffice to say we enjoyed ourselves!!

The main day started off at 7am with a trip to Maccie D's for breakfast - we were staying near Leicester Square so this seemed like the easiest solution and frankly a much needed boost after 4 hours sleep :/ The tubes were quiet which surprised me and everything was going swimmingly until we got to Green Park and saw the queues stretching right along Piccadilly from the entrance to The Ritz and stretching as far as the eye could see to Constitution Hill. By now it was 7.30am and the tickets said we had to be sat in the stands no later than 9am so I started panicking. We simply were not moving anywhere.

If I could find any critisism it would be here as anyone who worked for security did not have a clue what was going on. We were told as ticket holders to skip the queue and walk straight down to the entrance but a very kind lady infront of us told us not to; that she had done the same and been told to go to the back of the queue!!! Basically what had happened was a delay in opening the gates to the stands so everything was running late but nobody knew what was going on and, being British, much moaning about 'organisation' ensued.

However everyone seemed in good spirits and we started to move along Piccadilly and soon received a message that the deadline for seating was extended due to their opening late. Panic over thank goodness and the weather at this point was really quite lovely so we enjoyed banter with complete strangers and soaked up the atmosphere. Eventually the queue started moving and we soon reached Constitution Hill. Seeing the lengths some people had gone to in terms of 'costume' and outfits was a joy to all of us who were dressed quite normally. Only in Britain!!

Small gripe: security! Where was it? We had been told to only take this and that, to have two forms of ID with the ticket and to expect to be searched which I would fully expect. And then...nothing!! They were so behind schedule and we were being told to hurry up so that we were practically running. No searches, no ID checks and frankly that's just a bad show considering the potential security risks. Unbelievable.

So finally we get to our seats which are great. We were in the North Stand which had the best view of the balcony and departing royals but not the right side for the returning procession. No matter, we were just happy to be there. Everyone seemed in good spirits if a little on the quiet side and it wasn't long before the minibuses left BP on their way to St Pauls, followed by Princess Anne, Prince Edward, Sophie et al and the Duke of York and the girls. No announcement or any music so everyone around us was craning to see who everyone was. I spent most of my time politely correcting people around me who assumed Sophie wessex was the Duchess of Cambridge!! Seriously

Then everything just kind of switched on and the Queen appeared. The crowds stood instantly and cheered - she looked radiant and tiny in that beautiful dress and hat - and she seemed to be waving at every individual there. And as soon as we got all excited, she was gone and that was IT in terms of things to see until the procession returned 4 hours later!!! There were screens showing the ceremony at St Pauls, but they kept interrupting the feed when horses went by so as not to distract them. I knew we were recording the main events on TV at home so preferred to wait until returning home to watch the ceremony. So we went into a small enclosure in Green Park set aside for our stand where you could visit the loo and buy refereshments.

Main thing to note here - more queues!!!! The poor ladies wating for portaloos. The lines never waned and no one moaned but The same for a cup of tea. I spoke to someone after who actually bothered to wait and it took her over an hour to get a cuppa!!!! I instantly gave up on the idea and joined a group loiterning around the bar. Seemingly we were all waiting for one thing - someone to go and order a drink!! It was only 11am at this point and I had to laugh at us all waiting for someone else to go first which seemingly made it ok to start knocking it back at that hour. Ah well, when would we ever be at a Diamond Jubilee again? So once the first was ordered we decended like locusts and soon our little private nook of the park was full of people sat enjoying drinks and picnics. While cloudy, it was still warm and Mr Flo and I took advantage of a little nap but it wasn't until we returned to the hotel that we realised we managed to top up our tans!! My nose was red as a beetroot!!!

To be cont'd....

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Love it! I'm on the edge of my seat for part 2 ...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Glide2 View Post
    Not so sure about Kylie's song choice. She told the queen she wanted to F. U. N. K. her.
    Awful song choice I thought that quite a few songs were

The lineup at the end was odd. The Queen, Camilla, Paul McCarntney, Elton John, standing as if in a row with Paul trying not to hit anyone with his guitar.
    It seemed that they were all trying to get in shot with the Queen

Is this the first time Charles has called the queen 'Mummy' in public? The crowd seemed to love it.
    He's done that once before that I recall ... trying to remember when, but I think it was at a birthday concert, tongue in cheek

Floskate, glad you had such a happy time

vCash
    Love it! I'm on the edge of my seat for part 2 ...
    As am I!

Vacant
    vCash
    So we went back to the gates of Green Park just opposite BP and watched lots of bands and horses marching to their assigned points to return in the carriage procession before returning to our seats in the stands. A bit of celeb spotting along the way; for Brits, Philip Schofield , Eammon Holmes and Vanessa Feltz were seen waving to the crowds.

From there we sat, and sat, and sat Nothing happening at all, to the point that a phalanx of road sweepers drew the crowd to it's feet waving flags and cheering!! One amusing incident; soldiers were stationed to line the path of the carriages to the left of the Victoria Memorial and clearly the officer in charge was measuring the distance between each soldier with what looked like a huge compass - 5 paces between each. Well, they were so far out that each soldier got plenty of oohs and laughs as they had to resposition. All done in very good humour.

And so to teh climax and everything we had been waiting for. The sound on TV for these events gives an impression of constant cheering, yet actually that isn't the case. We could see the carriage procession coming up the Mall but there was only silence where we were. Eventually we heard the crods at the top of the Mall and they soon appeared and everyone started cheering wildy. Kate in particular looked glorious in the carriage and they all kept smiling even though the rain had started to come down at that point. What a wonderful sight it was to see all the horses and riders in formation. Nothing you watch on TV prepares you to witness it in real time!

The most abiding memory of the day was seeing the masses of people calmly making their way up the Mall to gain a spot outside the Palace. We could not believe how many people there seemed to be and they just kept coming and coming, an endless sea of humanity all seemingly in red white and blue. The way they ran past the Victoria Memorial towards the gates reminded me of all that wonderful pathe news footage of VE day and the clamour to see the monarch on the balcony. These people had been stood all day and never lacked for energy or volume and they certainly ignited our end of the crowds and it wasn't long before we were all doing mexican waves and cheering each other along. I could see the mass of people still stretching back along the Mall even though the circle around the VM was chock-a-block. I do remember being very moved by the love everyone had for the Queen and smiling to myself thinking of the few wannabe republicans having to watch this and see that their whole ethos was futile.

And so we eventually reached the climax. The NOISE when the doors opened onto the balcony and HMQ appeared! I will never forget that. I can only describe it as the warmest and most welcoming 'wail' I have ever heard. It seemed to go over us in waves, dying down slightly, only for another section of the crowd to pick up the mantle so that it never ceased. Endless cheering and shouts of God Save the Queen followed by three cheers for HMQ, Land of Hope and Glory, Rule Britannia....you name it, it was all going on!!

We had already sang the National Anthem a few times before we got a hold of the real one happening in the forecourt. Everyone sang with such gusto; I never got the sense that anyone was going through the motions, there was such sincerity in the way that everyone went about it. By this time we really were like drowned rats. The TV doesn't show you just how wet it was at this point. But no one cared. All that mattered was honouring this incredible woman for a lifetime of service to our country.

The flypast was just the icing on the cake. Whipping the crowd into a frenzy, they came so close and so low. The Red Arrows got the greatest cheers as they always seemed to do. And then with one more nod, smile and wave, it was all over and we headed for the exits. Thousands seemed to be rolling all over London in red, white and blue and we escaped the weather along Piccadilly by nipping into a couple of pubs for a few pints.

Epilogue - aka thoughts and reflections. I have watched every single major Royal event since I don't know when - certainly since the age of 7 when I saw Charles and Diana marry, however this was my first taste of seeing it 'live'. Personally speaking, TV is better overall - you just get to see so much more and it still affects you emotionally and brings out those feelings of pride and joy for which such events are really designed. However there is nothing to compare to what I witnessed first hand outside the Palace yesterday; a memory I will treasure for the rest of my life.

Upon further reflection, the Golden Jubilee seemed to have more energy and pomp to it. The golden state coach coming out of BP to a blast of Zadok the Priest? You can't beat that, but only 10 years later we are living in a different era with differnt values and what we have seen over the last 4 days is an effort to streamline the Monarchy and take the next step forward. The choice of participants for the balcony appearance was no mistake. I noted it straight away and the papers are full of it today. There's sadness too that HRH the Duke of Edinburgh couldn't attend and it was disconcerting to see the Queen 'alone' at such an event. No one I spoke to could remember the last time they had seen her like this. She did seem tired and perhaps more fragile than she had in the past. But I also got a sense of HM presenting her people with the future - Charles and Camilla and then Will and Kate with Harry doing his fabulous thing on the sidelines. No need for our Val and the supporting ranks anymore - I'll bet she's spitting nails as it is - this is all we need; this is the modern monarchy and whatever happens between now and the next accession, HMQ has shown the country and the commonwealth that we are in safe hands. I just hope she is with us for many more years yet.

And so endeth my Jubilee review

From the Bloc
    vCash
    And so endeth my Jubilee review
    Thank you so much for sharing - so much fun knowing one of our "friends" was there!

Quick questions - Mexican wave? Our Val?

vCash

Thank you, floskate!

Vacant
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Thank you so much for sharing - so much fun knowing one of our "friends" was there!

Quick questions - Mexican wave? Our Val?
    Mexican wave = like a ripple wave that goes round in circles and you jump out of your seat and wave your hands in the air cheering at the appropriate time.

Our Val = Princess Michael of Kent

Tranquillo
    vCash
    The most abiding memory of the day was seeing the masses of people calmly making their way up the Mall to gain a spot outside the Palace. We could not believe how many people there seemed to be and they just kept coming and coming, an endless sea of humanity all seemingly in red white and blue.
    That's the image that struck me on tv as well. There was something so solid and supportive about that image that I almost got teary.

I'm so glad you had such a memorable day - few people would enjoy it more. Thank you for taking the time to share your impressions with us, so interesting to get the "backstory" to what we saw on tv.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

recovering Oly-holic
    vCash
    Our Val = Princess Michael of Kent
    Is that Val as in "Valkyrie"?? In which case .. but !

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Mexican wave = like a ripple wave that goes round in circles and you jump out of your seat and wave your hands in the air cheering at the appropriate time.
    That's what I thought, only I've always heard it referred to as simple "the wave."

As for Val, the one I see looking grumpy these days is Prince Andrew. One gets the feeling that Anne and Edward and their families are just as happy to stay out of the spotlight, but Andrew used to get a ton of attention and now is barely on the radar it seems. His daughters get more attention than he does

Page 13 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast