Page 10 of 51 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 200 of 1001
  1. #181
    Corgi Wrangler
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Not Wearing Enough Sparkles
    Posts
    6,456
    vCash
    510
    Rep Power
    5546
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post


    *blinks* Commander Lightoller? *That* Commander Lightoller? Commander Lightoller of the RMS Titanic Commander Lightoller?

    How in the name of everything Royal and Holy did the commentators on Cdn TV miss giving us *that* piece of information if so!?! The Dunkirk Little Ships really were amazing to see.
    Yes, Herbert "Lights" Lightoller. (He never went by Charles; had a ne're-do-well cousin by that name.) Titanic was really one of the LESS interesting things he ever did, and I'd argue that the most heroic thing was loading up Sundowner (which is really meant to take like 20 people tops) with over a hundred soldiers. Legend has it (though both his biographer and Walter Lord repeat it) that one Tommy aboard heard their skipper was on the Titanic and thought about jumping, and someone else pointed out "If he could survive that, he could survive anything!"

    There was an article linked from the C.H. Lightoller Appreciation Page on Facebook (um...I'm kind of a Titanorak. And Lights is my particular area of interest.) Had a picture of Sundowner and comments from another owner of a "little ship" from Dunkirk on how potentially tricky the 'parade' was going to be.

    I am going to have to google pictures of the war canoe! I've seen one in New Zealand, but that was just on display. Paddling down the Thames would be a sight to see!

  2. #182
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    The Spice Rack
    Posts
    2,327
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Heads up for Canadians, if you have BBC Canada, they have extensive coverage of the church service tomorrow and a few special programs throughout the day such as newsreel footage of the Coronation and "All the Queen's Horses" which is the Windsor Horse show.
    The church service repeats at 6pm eastern on BBC Canada.

  3. #183
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    California
    Posts
    409
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Here are the fireworks over Buckingham Palace!!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6LTjOLeipI

  4. #184

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    7,399
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    4361
    Quote Originally Posted by Oreo View Post
    Here are the fireworks over Buckingham Palace!!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6LTjOLeipI
    thanks for posting this!

  5. #185
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    Age
    41
    Posts
    5,283
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Yes, Herbert "Lights" Lightoller. (He never went by Charles; had a ne're-do-well cousin by that name.) Titanic was really one of the LESS interesting things he ever did, and I'd argue that the most heroic thing was loading up Sundowner (which is really meant to take like 20 people tops) with over a hundred soldiers. Legend has it (though both his biographer and Walter Lord repeat it) that one Tommy aboard heard their skipper was on the Titanic and thought about jumping, and someone else pointed out "If he could survive that, he could survive anything!"

    There was an article linked from the C.H. Lightoller Appreciation Page on Facebook (um...I'm kind of a Titanorak. And Lights is my particular area of interest.) Had a picture of Sundowner and comments from another owner of a "little ship" from Dunkirk on how potentially tricky the 'parade' was going to be.
    Hey, I'm a fellow Titanic-ophile, so you're preaching to the Choir here. Still can't believe none of the Cdn commentators mentioned that though.

    I am going to have to google pictures of the war canoe! I've seen one in New Zealand, but that was just on display. Paddling down the Thames would be a sight to see!
    It was pretty impressive. I'd even swear during the time they were shown that they were doing a Haka in the canoe. I'd have to see it again, but I could almost swear that's what they were doing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Parsley Sage View Post
    Heads up for Canadians, if you have BBC Canada, they have extensive coverage of the church service tomorrow and a few special programs throughout the day such as newsreel footage of the Coronation and "All the Queen's Horses" which is the Windsor Horse show.
    The church service repeats at 6pm eastern on BBC Canada.
    THANK YOU!!! Got it good to go in the other room.

    And now...I'm off to try and catch a quick nap before the festivities begin.

  6. #186
    Failing her snatch
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    The Isles Of Wonder :P
    Age
    42
    Posts
    16,565
    vCash
    100
    Rep Power
    13964
    Aw bless her walking up the aisle on her own ((Queen))
    Dont Hate! Gyrate!

  7. #187
    Tranquillo
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    behind the gruppetto
    Posts
    24,969
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    39361
    I'm behind on the coverage snce I just got up and am watching my tivo coverage, so I appreciate all the current reports. I'm happy just thinking Floskate is there taking it all in in person
    Last edited by Garden Kitty; 06-05-2012 at 04:52 PM.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

  8. #188
    Prick Admin
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Having a kiki
    Posts
    42,412
    vCash
    506
    Rep Power
    26080
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Kitty View Post
    That's almost as bad as having a slam poet.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

  9. #189
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    7,584
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by SHARPIE View Post
    Aw bless her walking up the aisle on her own ((Queen))
    She's a grand old dame! Three cheers for Her Majesty!

    You could see it in her eyes that she's getting tired, it's been a long, wonderful, and stressful weekend for her, I'm sure.

    Kate looks gorgeous in pale pink (or beige?) lace.
    Last edited by Fergus; 06-05-2012 at 12:27 PM.

  10. #190

    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    My old Kentucky home, far away
    Age
    37
    Posts
    4,429
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    5515
    If anyone finds youtube links of the carriage procession, please post them. I'm going to be at work, with no access to watch it.
    'Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.'--John Wayne

  11. #191
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    7,584
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    And WELL DONE to Telegraph.co.uk and all the other British news services who have provided NON-geoblocked online feeds.

  12. #192
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Age
    43
    Posts
    353
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Vivat Regina Elizabetha!
    Last edited by matti; 06-06-2012 at 07:37 AM.

  13. #193

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Home in England!!
    Posts
    2,483
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1014
    Poor Harry looks like a spare cog holding up the rear all by himself walking out of the Guild Hall He did in the Abbey as well - but Wills kept turning to talk to him at the end of the walk back up the aisle!! At least he gets to share the carriage with Will and Kate!!

    ETA: The Princes all look dapper in their morning coats and top hats, and all 3 ladies look just lovely. It appears to be drizzling but Lizzie has kept the hoods down - turning down the Australian Coach that has central heating !!
    Last edited by Lorac; 06-05-2012 at 02:28 PM.

  14. #194

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    13,533
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    42165
    Would someone who captured the Service of Thanksgiving be willing to share it with me?
    All expenses covered, of course.

  15. #195

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    North Dakota
    Age
    33
    Posts
    3,126
    vCash
    480
    Rep Power
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    Kate looks gorgeous in pale pink (or beige?) lace.
    Yeah, it's a hard color to describe... so how about pinkish-beige? Some articles are calling it "nude" and I don't think that accurately describes it either. But yes, she looks fabulous! And there is no baby bump whatsoever. So if she is pregnant (which I doubt), it just barely happened.

    I'm also interested to see Princess Eugenie's outfit from the front without her hands hiding part of it. Love the color of it and the hat, regardless.

  16. #196

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    13,533
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    42165
    She looks amazing:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...g-service.html

    The color varied between "very pale pink" and "nude" depending on lighting.

  17. #197
    From the Bloc
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    California, I wish
    Posts
    17,368
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    11617
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    She looks amazing:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...g-service.html

    The color varied between "very pale pink" and "nude" depending on lighting.
    Definitely one of her very best looks yet - the neckline!

    Love the Queen's dresses these past few days as well - radiant!

  18. #198

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Home in England!!
    Posts
    2,483
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1014
    Down comes the rain - but nothing is dampening the spirits of the crowds as they wait for the royal family to come out on the balcony and then the fly past!!

  19. #199
    Failing her snatch
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    The Isles Of Wonder :P
    Age
    42
    Posts
    16,565
    vCash
    100
    Rep Power
    13964
    Frigging awesome Fly past!

    The crowds singing 'God Save The Queen' are ALMOST (I said ALMOST!) making me tear up !
    Dont Hate! Gyrate!

  20. #200
    Failing her snatch
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    The Isles Of Wonder :P
    Age
    42
    Posts
    16,565
    vCash
    100
    Rep Power
    13964
    LOL Kate always looks like she's having a cheeky flirt with Harry
    Dont Hate! Gyrate!

Page 10 of 51 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •