Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    Now that's the norm and not just in cities, either.
    I don't think I would say it's the norm. It probably is in places like NYC and CA, but in many other places, pets off-leash is definitely commonplace.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    Only if you consider eating bacon grease and dog poop to be suffering. Dogs don't. I'm sure that dog thinks it got a rare treat!
    Anthropomorphism - I'd suffer.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Our neighbor's dog used to do the same thing. I eventually got to the point where I would scoop it up and toss it back on their lawn. Not the most mature thing to do but it got it off my grass. Eventually I got to the point that I didn't care if they saw me or not. These people were not surprisingly the same folks that let their twin 5 year olds roam the neighborhood while they sat in the hot tub enjoying. Not a sad day when they moved.
    When you change the way you look at things, everything you look at changes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
    I don't think I would say it's the norm. It probably is in places like NYC and CA, but in many other places, pets off-leash is definitely commonplace.
    There isn't a municipality around where I live that doesn't have a leash law. And there are a few dog owners who've had to find out the hard way that, yes, the PTB do take them seriously and will enforce them, especially when said owners have let their dogs run loose and they've attacked someone (NOT just pitbulls either - the latest local dog attack involved two Chocolate Labs attacking a HS gym coach).

I'm not afraid, when I'm out cycling the Mohawk-Hudson bike trail (well marked on all sections that dogs belong on leashes) to raise my voice at owners who let their dogs run off-leash, when those dogs have run, or headed towards, the straight-line path I ride on the right-hand side of the trail. It's not my problem if they want to discover that my frame pump isn't just going to be used to pump up my tires if the situation were to go in that direction - when I was out this weekend, I came upon a couple dogs who, had they not been on leashes, would have easily taken a chunk out of the back of my leg. IMO, dogs like that need to be muzzled in public if they are that "protective".
    Last edited by Karina1974; 05-22-2012 at 04:46 AM.

vCash
    i think I would try a sign, and a nicely wrapped package of dog poop bags, with a nice note about how your child/niece/grandchild loves to run outside... Maybe a bottle of wine too...for their trouble.
    I that doesn't work...plan B collect a months worth and re-gift it to their front porch!
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    Growing up, I had a neighbor that posted a hand-lettered "Please Curb Your Dog" sign. (Wasn't our dog; he was always in our backyard or house.) Someone wrote the word "HERE" underneath, *chuckles*. Can't say it solved the problem, but providing the bags might help.

If it's happening at specific times of the day (early morning, after work), a lawn sprinkler discourages visitors. If you want to try the red pepper approach, buy the flakes at a dollar store - cheap works just as well. Don't do both since the sprinkler dilutes the pepper.

The "nosy neighbor" approach can also intimidate them into doing the right thing. Find a reason to be outside; pull a few weeds, carry something to the car, put up the flag. Be sure to say hi so they know you're right there. If the dog is out there solo, you can say hello to it in a loud voice, asking "Whose doggy are you?"

If they're doing the lazy "open the door and let the dog out" nonsense without a leash, just report them to the HOA or animal control. Dogs should be on a leash or in their yard.

vCash
    What ever happened to keeping dogs on leashes and controlling their behavior?
    Here in Vancouver most people walk their dogs on leashes. Those who don't usually have their dogs under control without a leash, some dogs are good that way (though even then, accidents can happen). For example, I've seem dogs patiently waiting for their owners untied outside of stores not move an inch nor respond to other people, other dogs, or loud noises. My dog is not one such and I don't even take her out to the car off-leash, because she might take off if saw she another dog or go down the street/across the street to greet people. Some of the neighbours' kids are scared of dogs and I need to make sure Luna doesn't run up to them.

Off-leash dog parks are popular here, though, and when you go there you accept the risk that some dogs may be aggressive or not under control. But for the most part the dogs get along remarkably well and have a great time at the park, as do their owners. Dogs are much better at getting along with each other, and with humans, than humans are at at getting along with each other.

People in rural areas are likely less stringent. We have friends who live on a farm and they have outside dogs who run loose all the time. There aren't a lot of people around but more than once the dogs have been hit by cars on the road. Makes me just

vCash
    Other than the idiots that don't want to deal with their dog's poop while on a hike -- who often kindly leave plastic bags of dog poop along the trail -- we don't have a whole lot of problem with that.

Have you thought about using Critter Ridder? http://www.havahart.com/ourbrands/critter-ridder

They wouldn't have to know.

vCash
    If neighbours are difficult, the only way is to kill them with niceness. Go round with a massive giggly friendly smile on your face, bring them some random gift ("we've been given waaay too many fruits and can't eat them all, would you like some" or something)...

Apologize for making too much noise with your lawnmower, then as you leave ":and by the way, I wanted to ask you a maaassive favour, I'm really sorry to ask you this, I have a phobia of dog poop, and I've been finding some on my lawn. I think it must some kids from down the road with their dog, and I'm going to try and watch to catch them, but if it happens when I'm not there and you see them, could you like, tell them to pick it up.
    And I think that the other day, I know you didn't do it on purpose and it doesn't matter, but I think just once your dog did it too and because you see I'm such an idiot and I have this phobia of dog poop, I 'd really appreciate your help".

Exit with dizzy smile of appreciation for having such wonderful neighbours. Visit other neighbours with fruit to make the point you are not singling them out.
    Last edited by millyskate; 05-22-2012 at 11:42 AM.

vCash
    When I was a kid, we had a man in the neighborhood post a sign that read:

This is not a bank, please don't let your dog deposit here. I think it helped with owners that walked their dogs....but roaming dogs can't read. The funny thing is, the owners back yard was loaded with his own dogs poop.

Since your neighbors are inconsiderate, this is not an easy solution. Tossing the poop back is risky & could cause alot more problems for you. I would suggest you figure out when these dogs are doing this. If at all possible, get a picture of them on your lawn. Then contact animal control and report the problem. A picture is very valuable in a situation like this. Because, just reporting it, the owners could just deny it's their dog. Even if, the are the only dogs in the neighborhood.

Good luck, I know it's hard dealing with difficult neighbors.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nubka View Post
    I was just talking about this subject with my son-in-law yesterday. He knew someone that had the same problem as yours. This person tried talking to the dog's owner, ect., nothing got through to him. The person whose lawn was being pooped on decided to pour bacon grease over the poop piles. The next time the dog came over, he smelled the bacon grease, and gobbled up all of his own poop piles!
    That is gross! Did the owners get the hint?

What ever happened to keeping dogs on leashes and controlling their behavior?
    I can only speak to our neighborhood, but I find that it's gotten better over the years. Everyone walks their dogs on leash and all of them have bags to pick up the poop. They now have these little "on board" pouches that hold rolls of small bags to pick up the poop. That way you don't forget to bring bags.

We did, a few months ago, have someone in the neighborhood (probably someone new) who was not picking up. It had to be a very large dog (for obvious reasons ). No one was sure who it was, but a few people put signs up - to pick up (it's actually a township ordinance that you have to pick up after your dog, or you're subject to a fine), or they would report the offender. So far, it seems to have worked.

There is also an ordinance here re: letting dogs roam free. Big fine! They have to be on leash or you have to have a physical or electric fence.

For the OP, I would try posting a sign. If that doesn't work, find out about local ordinances. Let your neighbor know that when you find out who is leaving their dog poop in your yard, you will report them. this way you are not accusing them, but letting them know you mean business.
    Last edited by cruisin; 05-22-2012 at 10:42 PM.

Go Denmark!
    vCash
    Did you actually ask them? They might not realise that it is an issue, or that the dog even does it (some peopl ehave no imagination)

I also think, even if they are annoying people, setting up a sign, or involving the HOA *without* talking to them first is extremely passive agressive, and would annoy me to no end.
    Granted, not having your dog poop on other people's lawn should be pretty self-explainatory, but I think to avoid a war, start by please asking them to take care of it.
    now if they don't, then give 'hints', or involve the HOA. At least you started civily.

I know from myself that I am much less likely to follow a reasonalbe request if it is delivered in a roundabout passive agressive way than just straight up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    That is gross! Did the owners get the hint?
    For the most part, yes. Every now and then, the dog has a "relapse." When that happens, the bacon grease comes out again, and the dog cleans up after itself!
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    I remember a neighbor many years ago who'd had it with a couple who let their dog out the door to roam a bit and poop and then let it back inside. These people denied that their dog was depositing poop on anyone's lawn. Since the dog was white and furry, my neighbor decided to prove which dog was doing the deed by putting out some ground beef mixed with red food coloring for the dog to eat. Needless to say, the white dog ended up with a red face, and the offending owner couldn't deny that it was his dog coming over to his neighbor's house. Pretty creative, I think! I imagine the dog's poop was also red a day later.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nubka View Post
    For the most part, yes. Every now and then, the dog has a "relapse." When that happens, the bacon grease comes out again, and the dog cleans up after itself!
    So, they were actually aiding in the training of the dog!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by madm View Post
    Since the dog was white and furry, my neighbor decided to prove which dog was doing the deed by putting out some ground beef mixed with red food coloring for the dog to eat.
    I expected the end of that last sentence to involve supersoakers and food coloring to train the dog to stay off the lawn and train the owners about lying. Sort of a "Scarlet Dog Training."

Your neighbor's solution was more kind.

vCash
    Don't get me started on dog poop. I live in a friggin' condo, and there was poop in the stairway and outside the elevator of the main lobby. A realtor was showing the building to a prospective buyer and I happened to be in the elevator and they were asking me questions about the place. So, when they were about to exit the elevator they almost stepped on some dog poop. Nice way to show off your home, crappy dog owner!

vCash
    ^^ What is wrong with some people? Do you know who is doing this? You should complain to the condo association. That is just wrong! And seriously unsanitary!

Drawing Figures
    vCash
    I love dogs but always pick up after mine & don't let them go in anyone's yard when we're out walking in the neighborhood. I rarely see other owners allowing their pets in my yard. It's just common courtesy in the big bad city.

I agree with taking a photo of the dogs roaming on your property & having the owners cited by the city. It might motivate them to stop it if they're rude & also will leave a paper trail so you can sue them for damages someday on The People's Court & get a trip to NYC.

We have one house on the block that's always rented to college kids but even they usually get the message once people hand them a bag when they're walking their pets along the boulevard. One of these days, one of them is going to show up for class & find out puppy pooped in the professor's yard at the beginning of the new school year. Uh-oh!

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Who you gonna call? Poop Angels!

(Heard this guy on the radio this am. A bit of a problem if you're not in Vancouver, mind ... but I'm sure they wouldn't object to folks wanting to start a franchise in other cities!)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast