Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

vCash

Neighbor's dog poop

The neighbor's dogs keep pooping on our lawn. Sometimes on the driveway. It's disgusting, and I'm afraid to cut the grass again because last time it went over the poop.

I haven't caught them in the act, but they're the only dogs on the street, so I know it's them.

What should I do? I fear the neighbors are the type to seek revenge by being really loud and obnoxious, so I don't want to start an all-out neighborhood war.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazpacho View Post
    The neighbor's dogs keep pooping on our lawn. Sometimes on the driveway. It's disgusting, and I'm afraid to cut the grass again because last time it went over the poop.

I haven't caught them in the act, but they're the only dogs on the street, so I know it's them.

What should I do? I fear the neighbors are the type to seek revenge by being really loud and obnoxious, so I don't want to start an all-out neighborhood war.
    I usually just pick it up because I have no idea who is not picking up after their dog. And I have no idea if my cat is pooping anywhere she shouldn't.

My friend posted a small sign that says "Please pick up after your dog" - it is on a pole with a pouch where she puts the sleeve bags her newspaper comes in so there are bags and no excuse.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    It is a tough one. One garbage day the garbage collected refused to empty our can because there was a bag of dog poop in the top of it. We don't have a dog and someone else must have put it there between the time I put the can out and the time the truck came around. I called and was told it was my responsibility to make sure there was no poop in our can ... not sure what they expect? Perhaps I need to guard my can all morning?

Are these the kind of neighbours you could invite for a drink on a Sunday afternoon, preferably right after you have mowed the law? Perhaps you could subtlety swing the conversation around to lawn mowing and picking up poop?

Might be best to just pick up the poop and move on - as annoying as that may be.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mag View Post
    Are these the kind of neighbours you could invite for a drink on a Sunday afternoon, preferably right after you have mowed the law? Perhaps you could subtlety swing the conversation around to lawn mowing and picking up poop?
    Definitely not! These are inconsiderate neighbors in more than one way.

vCash
    I would anonymously return the poop to its rightful owner, on their front doorstep. I would repeat as necessary, until they get the hint.

vCash
    Do you happen to have a toddler handy?

My in-laws took care of this problem, by hiding out in the garage at the time of the offender's walk (it was a regular problem, and they often saw them from the backyard/kitchen) and right as they walked away, the 4-year old came out with a bag and said "would you like me to get our pooper scooper shovel to help you pick that up?"

The offender now walks the dog with a bag in hand. Being admonished by a child is tough.

If you haven't 'caught' them, and don't want to confront them directly, I'm not sure there is much you can do. Passive aggressive behaviors don't usually fix things.

vCash
    I was just talking about this subject with my son-in-law yesterday. He knew someone that had the same problem as yours. This person tried talking to the dog's owner, ect., nothing got through to him. The person whose lawn was being pooped on decided to pour bacon grease over the poop piles. The next time the dog came over, he smelled the bacon grease, and gobbled up all of his own poop piles!
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nubka View Post
    I was just talking about this subject with my son-in-law yesterday. He knew someone that had the same problem as yours. This person tried talking to the dog's owner, ect., nothing got through to him. The person whose lawn was being pooped on decided to pour bacon grease over the poop piles. The next time the dog came over, he smelled the bacon grease, and gobbled up all of his own poop piles!
    So the dog suffers because the owners are asses?
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    If you have a home owners association, report it to them and maybe they can send the violaters a formal letter.

We had a problem with a previous neighbor- they let the dog out, it went in our lawn constantly and they literally laughed about it. We asked repeatedly (and nicely) for them to clean up after the dog to no avail. They also had more than 27 piles of dog poop in their own back yard (yes we counted!!) that were being added to on a daily basis. It was the middle of the summer and the stench and the flies were disgusting. Finally, we called the cops for health code violations. Matter was taken care of immediately. I felt bad, but the situation was definitely becoming a health hazard.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    I knew somebody here would say that!
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FunnyBut View Post
    I would anonymously return the poop to its rightful owner, on their front doorstep. I would repeat as necessary, until they get the hint.
    I would just fling it over on their side, let them figure out where each pile landed.

You may also try to actually catch them in the act, most dogs are let out first thing in the morning or last thing at night. Just open the door and watch and not say anything, but let them see that you are watching, and if they leave it there, proceed with above.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mag View Post
    It is a tough one. One garbage day the garbage collected refused to empty our can because there was a bag of dog poop in the top of it. We don't have a dog and someone else must have put it there between the time I put the can out and the time the truck came around. I called and was told it was my responsibility to make sure there was no poop in our can ...
    Where do you put it, if not in the garbage?

vCash
    It's amazing what dogs will eat, even if not covered with bacon grease - their own vomit, deer crap, unidentified crap - three items I saw dogs eat...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FunnyBut View Post
    I swear that was my first instict. But then I went on to read:

Quote Originally Posted by Gazpacho View Post
    I fear the neighbors are the type to seek revenge by being really loud and obnoxious, so I don't want to start an all-out neighborhood war.

It's a tricky situation. I know a person whose arcades are right along side of the walks, and dogs started finding them attractive. He put a sign out: "This is no dog litter". Strangely enough, it worked. I guess dog owners started feeling ashemed.

But if your neighboughrs are inconsiderete and you put out a sign like that, they might start enjoying to littler your place.

Could you maybe keep the dog away, like with those invisible fences?

vCash
    Yeah according to the vet dogs eating dog poop is not at all uncommon and isn't harmful. I do know of one dog that does it and occasionally vomits it right back up. (ew.)
    It does give the world's worst breath. My dog loves to snack on his own poop but my dad is so revolted by it that he has to be monitored every time he goes outside.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave of the North View Post
    It's amazing what dogs will eat, even if not covered with bacon grease - their own vomit, deer crap, unidentified crap - three items I saw dogs eat...
    Yum! I so know why I'm a cat person

Is there a fine for not picking up after the dog where you live? If so, is that applicable to when dogs poop into yards? If that's the case I would try to catch them in the act and video tape it and call the police.

Otherwise I'd probably do what someone else suggested - "return" the poop.

vCash
    What about http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B000071NUS It's a motion detector sprinkler.

My friend uses a cayenne pepper to keep her dog out of her garden. You just have to reapply after it rains.

vCash
    What ever happened to keeping dogs on leashes and controlling their behavior?

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    What assholes. I was walking my friend's dog and didn't have a plastic bag on me when she pooped in someone's yard. After the walk, I went back to my car, got a plastic bag, and picked it up.

I'd just fling it over to their side and let them take care of it.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Only if you consider eating bacon grease and dog poop to be suffering. Dogs don't. I'm sure that dog thinks it got a rare treat!

Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
    What ever happened to keeping dogs on leashes and controlling their behavior?
    The same thing that happened to all polite behavior... nothing really. There have been asshole owners since the beginning of time and always will be.

Though I do think one thing has changed. When I was a kid, dogs and cats tended to be let out unattended more (especially cats) and picking up dog poop wasn't expected. It was seen as "just what dogs do" and as "free fertilizer" by more people. Sure, if a particular dog constantly pooped in just your yard, you might talk to the neighbor, especially he was particularly prolific, but mostly people didn't walk their dogs with plastic bags to pick up their poop.

I think that didn't start being expected behavior until some time in the 70s and at first only in cities -- where dogs would be pooping on the sidewalk, not a lawn. Now that's the norm and not just in cities, either.

Another thing that changed is that people didn't bring their dogs everywhere, not even pet stores. Now it's normal for pet stores to allow dogs and you see a lot more dog owners bringing their dogs with them wherever they go. It's changed so much that MacBoy was quite surprised that he couldn't bring his dog to a grocery store.

I find the change in customs to be interesting.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast