Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 387
  1. #1
    Recovering from the Olys
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    28,341
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    17204

    Czisny to undergo surgery for torn labrum in left hip

    http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    "What they tell me is this kind of injury doesn't happen overnight; it can take months. It starts with weakness and by the time you feel pain, it's too late. It probably explains why I had difficulty jumping and difficulty landing, to say the least."
    ...
    Surgery will be scheduled as soon as possible and will be performed in Nashville by Dr. J.W. Thomas Byrd, a well-known specialist who has tended to many other athletes, most recently Pittsburgh Penguins defenseman Zbynek Michalek. Recovery time is uncertain, and Czisny has put plans to choreograph a new free skate with Marina Zoueva on hold.

    "This surgery is why we requested as late a Grand Prix as possible, and only one at the moment," she said. "I hope I am ready. I plan to come back and train as hard as I can."
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

  2. #2

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    10,586
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    17593
    Oh dear! Best wishes for a complete recovery and a successful rehab and return to skating for Alissa.
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

  3. #3
    Title-less
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    8,704
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Sigh... I wish Czisny speedy recovery.

    I cant help but be frustrated at USFSA. Two years in a row they sent an injured lady to worlds. By now it should be clear: US Nationals performance is not an indicator of how a skater will do two months later or a year later (eg jgp). If Usfsa keeps letting nationals decide all assignments without some basic monitoring then I am afraid it is harder to turn the ladies program around. A skater can be fine at nationals and has trouble with triples by March. Athletes are optimistic by nature, and they will try to compete unless their legs are broken. That is whysomeone else's judgement may be more objective than the skater in question.

    For Czisny I hope she will rebounce and skate better next season.
    Last edited by jlai; 05-21-2012 at 06:06 PM.

  4. #4
    Satisfied skating fan
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Partying with the Skate Gods
    Posts
    39,970
    vCash
    600
    Rep Power
    17334
    Isn't this the same type of surgery MK had? I hope Alissa's recovery goes as planned.
    Adelina Sotnikova defeated the curse of Esta She is indeed the Greatest Of All Time!

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    3,181
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    8235
    This may explain why she couldn't explain what was happening during her last competitions. She wasn't having pain and believed her previous leg injury was healed. Yet, she was inconsistent with jump landings but felt no pain or that something was off suggesting a definitive injury.

    Here's hoping surgery goes well and she is able to come back strong. Sounds also like USFS might have been planning to give her 2 assignments but she requested only the one.
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

  6. #6
    Recovering from the Olys
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    28,341
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    17204
    Earlier I posted Phil Hersh's article link in the GP Assignments thread: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...10#post3574410
    Relevant excerpt:
    Czisny told me Monday by telephone that she will soon have surgery to repair a torn labrum in her left hip that was revealed in an MRI last week. She expects to on crutches for three or four weeks and off the ice for three months.

    "I know the next question is going to be, `Why did I go to worlds?''' said Czisny, who fell seven times in her two programs at worlds. "If I knew I was injured, I wouldn't have gone.

    "Looking back now, it might have occurred earlier, but I didn't feel it untl I started skating again after I took two weeks off after worlds. At first, I thought it was just a strained muscle. But then I could barely do flip and lutz (jumps).

    Czisny did early May shows in South Korea, where she felt compelled to limit her skating to a degree that led her to a doctor upon returning to the U.S. As soon as the problem was diagnosed, she asked U.S. Figure Skating for the latest possible Grand Prix assignments wound up with one - the circuit finale Nov. 23-25 in Japan.

    "I still hope to get a second Grand Prix if I am ready and a spot opens up," she said.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    328
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    It's unfortunate that she may have been injured at Worlds, but I don't think it was a known fact or cover up like the Rachael Flatt situation. They knew, she was diagnosed, and still competed. AZ would have done better if Cziney pulled out, obviously, but I don't know if she would have been good enough to get us three spots. Gracie or Zhang would of given us a much better chance, but that would have been impossible for the US to do without an uproar. Wasn't Gao the second alternate?

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,529
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2011
    Thanks Sylvia. Sounds like a serious injury and it explains why Alissa had so much trouble with her jumps. Get well soon, Alissa!

  9. #9

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Age
    51
    Posts
    7,439
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    28504
    Get well soon Alissa.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    12,911
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    16823
    I wish her a complete recovery; and return to competition, if that is what she wishes to do.

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Sunny Myrtle Beach
    Posts
    190
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    So sorry to hear about this injury, I hope the surgery goes well. Best wishes to Alissa for a smooth recovery.

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    308
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by carriemarie View Post
    It's unfortunate that she may have been injured at Worlds, but I don't think it was a known fact or cover up like the Rachael Flatt situation. They knew, she was diagnosed, and still competed. AZ would have done better if Cziney pulled out, obviously, but I don't know if she would have been good enough to get us three spots. Gracie or Zhang would of given us a much better chance, but that would have been impossible for the US to do without an uproar. Wasn't Gao the second alternate?
    Would the poor performance at the DSC send off show in December or poor practices that were alluded to prior to US Nationals or prior/during Worlds have been an indication? Would more strict monitoring be acceptable? My disappointment is with USFS at this point as the also need to do their due diligence with their athletes, and accept some responsiblity for the athletes' training, health and well being. What is the acutal mechanism that the elite performance group at USFS uses to routinely monitor their athletes? Is it the coaches who provide the daily feedback as the athletes prepare for the post-National events? Are videos provided on a weekly basis to USFS officials to review in prep for 4CC/Worlds/Olympics, etc....each person sees things differently, and perhaps Jason/Yuka were thinking that Alissa was nervous for Worlds based on the expectations, and that was just her MO before big competitions. But, what if more sets of eyes had been watching, perhaps someone like Christy Krall who does Dartfish....she might have noticed something in the way Alissa was jumping. Just a thought....

  13. #13
    Alissa Fan Forever
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Age
    51
    Posts
    3,585
    vCash
    565
    Rep Power
    6940
    Heal quickly Alissa and come back strong!!! I'm cheering for you 100%!!!

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,887
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post

    I cant help but be frustrated at USFSA. Two years in a row they sent an injured lady to worlds. By now it should be clear: US Nationals performance is not an indicator of how a skater will do two months later or a year later (eg jgp). If Usfsa keeps letting nationals decide all assignments without some basic monitoring then I am afraid it is harder to turn the ladies program around. A skater can be fine at nationals and has trouble with triples by March. Athletes are optimistic by nature, and they will try to compete unless their legs are broken. That is whysomeone else's judgement may be more objective than the skater in question.
    Agreed. this has happened TWO years in a row now. If this doesn't spark changes to selection/monitoring procedures, I don't know what will.

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    London, Englandia.
    Age
    21
    Posts
    12,275
    vCash
    581
    Rep Power
    0
    All the best, Alissa!

  16. #16

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    10,586
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    17593
    Quote Originally Posted by B.Cooper View Post
    But, what if more sets of eyes had been watching, perhaps someone like Christy Krall who does Dartfish....she might have noticed something in the way Alissa was jumping. Just a thought....
    Since she didn't have any pain at the time, do you think that any possible difference in her jumping technique that might have been detected would have resulted in her getting the MRI that was needed to diagnose her injury? Or are you thinking that seeing some variation in her jumping might have led to actions that could have prevented the injury? Not sure what help using Dartfish would/could have provided for Alissa.
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

  17. #17
    Title-less
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    8,704
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    Agreed. this has happened TWO years in a row now. If this doesn't spark changes to selection/monitoring procedures, I don't know what will.
    I dont think anythong will be done. Every debate involving skaters' injury is heated and divisive and I dont see discussion on monitoring being separated from individual situations that people get emotional about.

    Anyway, now that we know this is an injury and not a confidence issue,that means it is likely she can skate well again when healthy, which is a good thing.

  18. #18
    Port de bras!!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Ravenclaw
    Posts
    29,548
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    20266
    Part of me is relieved there is a very good explanation for what happened at Worlds and Nats, and part of me is that she is injured. Speedy recovery, Alissa!
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

    from Speedy Death

  19. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    328
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by B.Cooper View Post
    Would the poor performance at the DSC send off show in December or poor practices that were alluded to prior to US Nationals or prior/during Worlds have been an indication? Would more strict monitoring be acceptable? My disappointment is with USFS at this point as the also need to do their due diligence with their athletes, and accept some responsiblity for the athletes' training, health and well being. What is the acutal mechanism that the elite performance group at USFS uses to routinely monitor their athletes? Is it the coaches who provide the daily feedback as the athletes prepare for the post-National events? Are videos provided on a weekly basis to USFS officials to review in prep for 4CC/Worlds/Olympics, etc....each person sees things differently, and perhaps Jason/Yuka were thinking that Alissa was nervous for Worlds based on the expectations, and that was just her MO before big competitions. But, what if more sets of eyes had been watching, perhaps someone like Christy Krall who does Dartfish....she might have noticed something in the way Alissa was jumping. Just a thought....


    Perhaps monitoring is a good idea, and I sincerely respect your points because they are valid, but they way they choose their teams for Worlds, Olympics, etc. is such a time honored tradition and USFSA is so set in it's ways that I don't see the process changing soon. It's too progressive for them, and IMO Alissa wasn't horrible at Nationals and I am not sure Zhang or Agnes would have secured the spots needed. I am not saying Alissa isn't notorious for her inconsistency, but unless an injury was known there wasn't a reason to pull her. Michelle Kwan, for example, was a disaster before 1998 Nationals (because of various problems) and I know this from training with her and pulled it together. Oksana was injured at the Olympics and pulled it off (to my dismay and disagreement of results). The bottom line is Alissa earned her spot rightfully under the USFSA rules and she gets to go to Worlds. The USFSA is getting more progressive (ie Ricky Dornbush at 4CC-which ended up being a poor decision), so why would they change the system when the results of them changing things up have been poor thus far? WTT was a good start with Gracie, but it's still a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation right now.

  20. #20
    Recovering from the Olys
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    28,341
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    17204
    Quote Originally Posted by carriemarie View Post
    AZ would have done better if Cziney pulled out, obviously, but I don't know if she would have been good enough to get us three spots. Gracie or Zhang would of given us a much better chance, but that would have been impossible for the US to do without an uproar. Wasn't Gao the second alternate?
    Agnes Zawadzki was the 1st alternate to 2012 Worlds, Caroline Zhang was the 2nd alternate, and Mirai Nagasu was the 3rd alternate.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •