Page 7 of 51 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jemestone View Post
    That's because he skates at every competition possible, unless he is injured, and it helps his WR.
    Skating for a nation like Sweden allows him to do that. In a nation like the US, competition for senior Bs even is pretty competitive.

vCash
    Have a few questions on host pick.

- You can only pick one skater as host pick for 3 spots you have for your competition you host?

- Do you have to choose the skater who has higher SB and/or WS even as a host pick if you have several candidates?

Thanks!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    The men's 60 GP slots break down by country & number of men per country as follows:
    12 countries, 33 different men + 6 TBA slots

JPN 13 slots / 6 different men + 1 TBA
    USA 12 / 6 + 1 TBA
    CAN 7 / 4 + 1 TBA
    RUS 7 / 5 + 1 TBA
    FRA 5 / 2 + 1 TBA
    CHN 4 / 3 + 1 TBA
    CZE 4 / 2
    ESP 2 / 1
    ITA 2 / 1
    KAZ 2 / 1
    BEL 1
    SWE 1
    Additional notes:
    JPN
    8 men: six with two events each (Hanyu, Kozuka, Machida, Mura, Oda, Takahashi); one host pick (Murakami); and a TBA host pick

[B]USA[B]
    7 men: five with two events each (Abbott, Miner, Rippon, Dornbush, Weir); one host pick (Razzano); and a TBA host pick

RUS
    5 or 6 Men: one with two events (Gachinski); three with one invitation each (Menshov, Dmitriev, Voronov); one host pick (Bush); and a TBA host pick (could be Menshov, Dmitriev, Voronov or someone else)

CAN
    4 or 5 men: two with two events each (Chan, Reynolds); one with one invitation (Rogozine); one host pick (Firus); and a TBA host pick (could be Rogozine or someone else)

FRA
    3 men: two with two events each (Amodio, Joubert); and a TBA host pick

[B]CHN[B]
    3 men: one with two events (Song); one host pick (Guan); and a TBA host pick

CZE
    2 men with two events each (Brezina, Verner)

ITA, KAZ, ESP
    one man with two events each (Contesti, Ten, Fernandez)

BEL, SWE
    one man with one event (Hendrickx, Majorov)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Oh dear, this could be serious. I was concerned at Nationals when Josh's PCS were significantly lower than on the JGP while most everyone else was getting huge national inflation in regards to PCS, but I chalked it up to him not skating well at Nationals, but now...

The boy was 2nd at JW, 0.47 of a point from WINNING the entire competition! Dmitriev was 14th at the same event and he has a GP that isn't even a host pick, and he didn't make the JGPF either where Josh was a strong 3rd, just a handful of points off the lead. His SB is less than a point below those of Rippon and Miner who each have 2 GPs, and is over 15 points higher than Ricky Dornbush's SB and Ricky also has 2 GPs!
    The boy clearly deserves at least 1 GP if not 2!

If USFS actually shafted him and didn't submit his name for selection when he asked to be considered, I would look into switching representation, honestly. He is just as good as Rippon and Miner already, his SB shows that, and further, he doesn't have 3a problems like Rippon does and is farther along on his quad than Miner is (and honestly, than Rippon is too). And then beyond those two and Abbott, his SB crushed those of any other US senior men this season, and that was at a junior event!

Any smart federation would be grooming him for the Olympic team in 2014, Abbott is not getting any younger, Rippon has major technique issues, Weir was a headcase in his prime, Miner is solid and consistency but his artistry needs a lot of work and he has no quad yet, and all the other US men apart from Dornbush, who is probably the best all-around skater after Abbott at this point but seems to be headed down the headcase path as of late, get abysmally low marks internationally.

The international judges like Josh, they give him freaking 7s for PCS at junior events! He has well-developed artistry, solid technique, a strong and reliable 3a, has been training a 4t for over a year now and has attempted it in competition before, great spins that consistently get level 4s and +2s for GOE, and he's 17! Seriously, USFS, you are delusional if you think Rippon, Miner, and Abbott are better hopes for the future than this kid.

I hope Josh kicks butt on the JGP and then again at Nationals and gets marked fairly to show how stupid USFS is for screwing him over like this.
    Wouldn't this be reflective of Josh's coaching team....Damon Allen and Christy Krall being the ones who deliver the message to USFS as to if Josh wanted to stay on the JGP or move up to SGP??

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YukiNieve View Post
    Have a few questions on host pick.

- You can only pick one skater as host pick for 3 spots you have for your competition you host?

- Do you have to choose the skater who has higher SB and/or WS even as a host pick if you have several candidates?

Thanks!
    No (They have three host picks in each discipline.), and no.

In fact, they can choose just about whomever they want, as exemplified by the French Federation chose Léna Marrocco, who was 69th on the Season's Best list.
    Last edited by Vagabond; 05-22-2012 at 04:46 AM.

vCash
    The ISU communication even states that Jr. Worlds and JGPF medallista are guaranteed a spot. Joshua Farris fits in both.. If this was a mistake from ISU I hope there's a way for him to appeal as son as possible.

vCash
    Thanks, Vagabond!

That is what I thought but I have been hearing different things,
    so wanted to make sure.

The wiener takes it all
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiK View Post
    The ISU communication even states that Jr. Worlds and JGPF medallista are guaranteed a spot. Joshua Farris fits in both.. If this was a mistake from ISU I hope there's a way for him to appeal as son as possible.
    Which communication??? The rules for GP selection are generally outlined in each season's GP announcement document, not an ISU Communication or in the ISU General or Figure Skating Rules.

Last season's GP announcement (which was also IIRC released AFTER the GP assignments were announced ) removed the language that guaranteed JGPF and JW medalists one GP spot.

From 2011-12 GP announcement:
    Medallists from the ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships 2011 and the medallists from the ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final 2010/11 will be included in the selection process. Skaters/couples who have stated their intention to skate as Senior in 2011/12 might be included in the Grand Prix event(s) if they fulfil the requirements of the minimum score.
    From 2010-11 GP announcement:
    Medallists from the ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships 2010 and the medallists from the ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final 2009/10 will be included in the selection process. Skaters/couples who have stated their intention to skate as Senior in 2010/11 will be guaranteed one (1) event.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HisWeirness View Post
    Which communication??? The rules for GP selection are generally outlined in each season's GP announcement document, not an ISU Communication or in the ISU General or Figure Skating Rules.

:

Here:
    http://www2.isu.org/vsite/vnavsite/p...0.html?id=1066

How do we call this then? Press release???, whatever term you like to use, the fact is that they are publicly akwnoledging the that Jr. World medallists are assured of 1 spot.

Maybe they just copied and pasted from an old announcement LOL

vCash
    This year's announcement says the same thing:

Medalists from the ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships and the ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final are guaranteed one spot. In order for a skater/couple to be eligible to compete at a Grand Prix event, a minimum score must have been achieved.
    http://www2.isu.org/vsite/vnavsite/p...0.html?id=1066

ETA: IIRC, in the past, skaters who earned medals at both competitions received two berths, since each medal guaranteed them one berth.

The wiener takes it all
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    ETA: IIRC, in the past, skaters who earned medals at both competitions received two berths, since each medal guaranteed them one berth.
    Right.

I found a similar Grand Prix press release from last season here:
    http://www2.isu.org/vsite/vcontent/c...s-item,00.html

The 2011-12 press release did not contain the JGPF/JW medalist guarantee that the 2012-13 press release states. I guess we'll have to wait for the ISU to issue the 2012-13 GP announcement (PDF document) to know what is going on...

ISU

vCash
    Even if the rule about JGPF and JW medalists being guaranteed 1 event was removed, Josh is still number 20 on the most recently updated SB list which alone guarantees (or should have) him 1 event. Not getting 2 events I could understand, there were no promises about that, but either this is some kind of tactical error or USFS forgot to submit his name for selection or persuaded his coaches into having him stay on the JGP another season without him knowing. If he really wants to compete on the senior GP, he should make an appeal to the ISU outlining what I said above. There's even a chance he could get 2 assignments if USFS were to give him SA, and honestly, he's probably the skater most deserving of that spot if he tries to get this sorted out and turns down the JGP.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Even if the rule about JGPF and JW medalists being guaranteed 1 event was removed, Josh is still number 20 on the most recently updated SB list which alone guarantees (or should have) him 1 event. Not getting 2 events I could understand, there were no promises about that, but either this is some kind of tactical error or USFS forgot to submit his name for selection or persuaded his coaches into having him stay on the JGP another season without him knowing. If he really wants to compete on the senior GP, he should make an appeal to the ISU outlining what I said above. There's even a chance he could get 2 assignments if USFS were to give him SA, and honestly, he's probably the skater most deserving of that spot if he tries to get this sorted out and turns down the JGP.
    Except I can't understand it when Dornbush got 2.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    Except I can't understand it when Dornbush got 2.
    Dornbush got 2 because the 3 top juniors of the season who were all supposed to get at least 1 event if not 2 aren't getting any events at all, whether it be voluntary or unvoluntary. Ricky was good last season at least and that's why his WR is as high as it is.

vCash
    I think the US federation blocked the request from Joshua. Their reason might be 2 JG assignments is better than 1 SG assignment. Moreover, if the proposed rule change is passed, once you enter into the SG circuit, you cannot go back to JW anymore.

vCash
    I am concerned that Canada's #4 man, Elladj Balde, is not listed for any GP. He could be given the one TBA at Skate Canada but surely he deserves an assignment in light of his placement at Cdn Nats.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JasperBoy View Post
    I am concerned that Canada's #4 man, Elladj Balde, is not listed for any GP. He could be given the one TBA at Skate Canada but surely he deserves an assignment in light of his placement at Cdn Nats.
    But the #3 man doesn't?

vCash
    just came back from a month of remote vacation
    holy cow, I am happy for Miki's return

weak entries for NHK trophy
    and Julia will be competing amonst all the big girls in France and China. good luck Julia

and Shelepen getting only 1 assignment
    I hope she gets the host pick so she can get 2 or to Polina K.
    Last edited by love_skate2011; 05-22-2012 at 07:47 AM.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    I knew that! (ETA: That was kwanfan1818's original error, not mine. ) I've edited the correction into my above post.
    Thank you for correcting it

Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    https://twitter.com/#!/joshdfarris/s...84561077121024

Josh wanted a gp but didn't get one. ETA: IMHO, that s*cks esp when skaters not on top 24 world ranking or sb got one gp
    If USFS submitted his name, he would have gotten at least one.

Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    Machida is top 24 WR
    Not sure how Ragozine, Menshov, Dmitriev, Hendrix, and Voronov got one as they weren't host picks. Rules must have changed?
    The rule for the initial selection has been that after all of the skaters guaranteed two get two and all of the skaters guaranteed one get one, the host nations can pick from the Top 75 list for non-host picks.

For the alternates list, last year's rules (v.1) state that all of the skaters in the Top 24 SB and WS guaranteed one who got only one in the initial selection have to get two before anyone in the Top 75 get selected for non-host picks, although there's no obligation to choose them.

Quote Originally Posted by HisWeirness View Post
    Right.
    The 2011-12 press release did not contain the JGPF/JW medalist guarantee that the 2012-13 press release states. I guess we'll have to wait for the ISU to issue the 2012-13 GP announcement (PDF document) to know what is going on...

ISU
    They had the JGPF/JW medalist guarantee up until last season.

I'm not sure who is affected here: Lipnitskaia, Shelepen, Korobeynikova, Sotnikova, Gold, and Sinitsina/Zhiganshin all were Top 24 SB and would have been guaranteed one without taking JGPF/JW medals into consideration, with Sui/Han guaranteed two from their Worlds result. All of the rest weren't submitted for senior GP.

Last year, without the medal guarantee, Monko/Khaliavin got two in the initial selection, and neither of them (USA, CHN) were host picks.

This year, of the 12 Ladies who were Top 24, but not Top 12 at Worlds,
    Five got two: Lipnitskaia, Tukhtamysheva, C. Zhang, Gold, Sotnikova (1 host)
    Seven got one: Czisny, Nagasu, Korpi, Biryukova, Korobeynikova, Shelepen, Li.

Gold doesn't have a host pick, and she didn't medal at JGPF, so I don't think the number of spots is tied to the number of JGPF/JW medals.

I thought there might be a pattern where skaters in Top 24 SB and Top 24 WS got two over skaters with one but not the other, except where a skater got a host pick and a second, but I'm not seeing that: Korpi, for example, is ranked 5th in WS and 14th in SB. Nagasu is 13th in WS and 11th in SB. Zhang isn't in Top 24 WS.

On a different note, skaters are tweeting left and right about how thrilled they are with their picks. As expected, no one has yet tweeted "I hate [list event]. My selections sux."

But I thought Alex Shibutani's was worth posting:

Now I know why @rossminer wanted to call it a day at 8:30 last night. He wanted to check GP assignments at 2am.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Andrey aka Pushkin View Post
    for TEB. As usual

The good news are, that Pluschenko won't compete at CoR because Chan is there
    I wouldn't bet on that if I were you.......

Page 7 of 51 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast