Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    Excited (and surprised!) to see some of the new pairs and dance teams on the roster.

I am surpised about Yan Han not going into the senior ranks, but not so surprised about Farris or Brown. The could still make it to 4CC (or potentially even Worlds).

I remember all the grousing about Caoline Zhang getting Skate America last year; I guess Rachael is going to get the all the woe this season. Personally it seems like a reasonable choice for USFS considering it is close for her to travel to and her ranking at Nationals. Goa didn't do much better her GPs last season, but I'm glad the USFS offered her SA as well.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    Let the begin about the TBA spots!!! I hope that Samuelson/Gilles can get that SA TBA spot for dance. Summer comps should be FIERCE.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    Let the begin about the TBA spots!!! I hope that Samuelson/Gilles can get that SA TBA spot for dance. Summer comps should be FIERCE.
    Do we know yet if the host pick has to have the minimum seasons best? I think Emily Samuelson/Todd Gilles are below the minimum by a few points if that's a factor. Other teams who could be considered Anastasia Cannuscio/Colin McManus have the minimum from a Senior B if that counts, Anastasia Olson/Keiffer Hubbel are new but probably in the mix because of their international history with previous partners. If minimums are required, then based on Lake Placid these teams might need to do an early international event. Doubt either of the young juniors who earned US National medals will be jumping up to senior internationally yet.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    Brown makes sense -- he didn't medal at JW, needs to compete with a 3 axel as often as possible, and a likely 2 JGP + probably JGPF gives him plenty of competitive outings. Can he do a Senior B under the new rules?
    Jason Brown won bronze at JW and gold at the JGPF.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CoralReef View Post
    Do we know yet if the host pick has to have the minimum seasons best? I think Emily Samuelson/Todd Gilles are below the minimum by a few points if that's a factor. Other teams who could be considered Anastasia Cannuscio/Colin McManus have the minimum from a Senior B if that counts, Anastasia Olson/Keiffer Hubbel are new but probably in the mix because of their international history with previous partners. If minimums are required, then based on Lake Placid these teams might need to do an early international event. Doubt either of the young juniors who earned US National medals will be jumping up to senior internationally yet.
    Don't know, but I am sure the USA Sr B will be WELL attended!!
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

Title-less
    vCash
    I think the US ladies assignments are ok. Totally crushed about Yan Han, Farris and Brown not going senior. I was hopiing to see one of them in a gp

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CoralReef View Post
    Yes, and let's hope that USFS assigns the Senior Bs in a way that can give all these teams the opportunity to obtain a minimum season's best for that SA slot as well as give K/G-S and C/B the opportunity to compete again internationally before their single GP events.

vCash
    Josh wanted to move up to seniors this year, I really can't understand why he didn't at least get a host pick.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DickButtonFan View Post
    Alissa only has one.
    So does Mirai. After the way she skated this year I tought Nagasu would get none. I'm happy she got that much at least. I hope she has it together by then. Rachael got one as well.

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha'sSpins View Post
    After the way she skated this year I tought Nagasu would get none.
    She won silver at Cup of China and won gold at the Nebelhorn Trophy.

Yes she had another less than stellar GP event, and then was disappointing at Nationals, but I would certainly have expected her to get at least one GP.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

Canadian ladies über
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by morqet View Post
    Josh wanted to move up to seniors this year, I really can't understand why he didn't at least get a host pick.
    If being top 24 in the season best standings is supposed to guarantee a senior grand prix, can we only assume USFSA didn't put his name forward?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by morqet View Post
    Yeah i'd rather that the young guns like Jason and Josh got at least one GP assignment then Johnny getting two. Those two kids are the future of US Mens not a soon to be 28 year old who's best days are behind him. Not a smart move USFS you better start looking to the future not the past.

vCash
    I can even understand Flatt getting SA but not Gao, sorry.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post
    She won silver at Cup of China and won gold at the Nebelhorn Trophy.

Yes she had another less than stellar GP event, and then was disappointing at Nationals, but I would certainly have expected her to get at least one GP.
    Nebelhorn is considered just a B event (I believe). Basically it's a warm up for the GPs. Sure she won gold, but she still made mistakes. She was looking a bit shaky even there. Her poor performance at Nationals that kept Mirai off of the Worlds team ONCE AGAIN (and this time with no question, no controversy) and on the GP (apart from her too-late run silver at COC) is what I was referring too. If the USFS still had any faith in her I believe she would have been given a second assignment. I love Mirai but I'm not wearing rose-colored glasses. Even an under-par Flatt beat her at Nationals. The U.S. officials I believe are sending Mirai a message-get it together or else.

I hope Mirai skates lights out at COC. I'm deeply concerned about her current training situation (apparently hopscotching rinks, 'training' by herself, etc.) I hope it's resolved by now or will be by the summer. She's my favorite U.S. ladie's skater. I want her to go out on a high note. She's out of the GPF as it is.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    There was a good chance that neither Flatt nor Gao would have gotten an invitation to any other Grand Prix event if the USFSA didn't invite them to Skate America. While Nagasu and Czisny might have been more deserving, they are also more likely than Flatt and Gao to get invitations to a second event if any spaces open up.

vCash
    here's to hoping that Mirai is at the top of the substitute list

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    Really? Her FS at Nationals was kind of amazing! Granted she skated miserably on the GP, but you can't ignore what easily could have been a medal-winning FS at Nationals in another year. IMO, she deserves it, especially if Lam and Cesario are going the JGP route again and Baga's doing pairs- I can't really think who else would go anyway besides maybe Mirai. I prefer Mirai's skating greatly vs. Gao, but it would be silly to ignore the 5th and 6th place ladies from Nationals. Maybe if they didn't skate well at Nationals, but they did!

I think the TBA for Skate America men could be/could have been as much for Josh Farris as Evan or Armin. Its a little sad/perplexing that he wasn't given anything on the first go round (he was guaranteed 1, right?!?)- I wonder if there was a miscommunication somewhere. And his low finishes at Nationals put him in a bit of a no man's land politically despite his junior worlds showing. But it sounds like at any rate, he'd be very high up on the alternate list as well as very high up in contention for the TBA SA spot, so its kind of funny for him to throw in the towel and go back to JGP, but if he does indeed want Jr. Worlds again then this would be the right move. It seems that at this point in his career, he lacks that Plushenko-like delusional intensity to go for broke in getting what he wants. To each their own strategy, I suppose. Dornbush has a bit of this fire, at least he usually does, and this is why he gets the spots that an otherwise more timid skater would not get. Its the X-factory mystery spark.

As for Armin, its also kind of sad to not see the pewter medalist with anything, but at least he's had chances before- unlike Messing, Aaron, and Carriere who got a bit of the shaft last fall. And IMO there was nothing separating these 4 skaters' performances at Nationals. I think there is a desire by USFS to really see something impressive from Armin after his poor GP showings and subpar FS at Nationals. I wonder if anyone will skate lights out this summer and become impossible to ignore or if it will be another mishmash of good but not amazing performances by all these guys making it impossible to choose between them all...

Just about perfect job IMO by USFS on these assignments for Skate America- I can't wait to see who ends up with the TBA pairs spot and I really hope it is Zhang/Bartholomay if they look good over the summer- they've both been good little soldiers quietly working their way up the ranks. Although I'd also love to see Castelli/Shnapir if they are landing their jumps and hitting that quad throw- with a good skate, they could totally be GP medal winning skaters. I pray Donlan/Speroff can do their best at Skate America and show the world what an amazing world class team we've been hiding the last couple of years.

Why not Rostelecom for Martiusheva/Rogonov? They were bloody fantastic at Russian Nationals! I really hope they get something, assuming they are still competing.
    Last edited by haribobo; 05-21-2012 at 11:40 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    And really, really puzzled that Armin got dumped, and that the massively underwhelming Ricky got gifted with two assignments. (Or is there some injury to Armin?)
    He didn't get dumped. His scores and results last season simply weren't high enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    How the heck did Flatt get Skate America over Gracie?
    Gold was eligible for 2 spots based on her SB, if I understand correctly.

Flatt needed a host pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Did Brown and Farris decide to stay on the JGP again? I think that's a big mistake since they needed to get out there a year before the Olympic year. With the US rather average in Mens they could have climbed up the rankings this next season. Other then Abbott all the other Senior Men are lacking at this time. Bown and Farris could have done some damage even next season. Skaters like Rippon and Miner are not the answer.
    As Pinky said, if they skated GP they wouldn't be able to go back to Junior competitions, under the new rules which will most likely pass at congress.

Also, 2 JGPs and JGPF will be worth more in terms of ranking points and prize money than one mediocre GP result.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Gold was eligible for 2 spots based on her SB, if I understand correctly.
    I'm pretty sure Gracie's SB only guaranteed 1 GP, or else Mirai would have had 2 GPs too
    USFSA probably politicked for Gracie

Title-less
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    As Pinky said, if they skated GP they wouldn't be able to go back to Junior competitions, under the new rules which will most likely pass at congress.

Also, 2 JGPs and JGPF will be worth more in terms of ranking points and prize money than one mediocre GP result.
    https://twitter.com/#!/joshdfarris/s...84561077121024

Josh wanted a gp but didn't get one. ETA: IMHO, that s*cks esp when skaters not on top 24 world ranking or sb got one gp
    Last edited by jlai; 05-21-2012 at 11:52 PM.

Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast