Page 37 of 51 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by toddlj View Post
    I'm surprised with all of the inside we have on this board, no one knows whether Nagasu was offered and turned down a second assignment.
    True. Still, it's sad Mirai will only be in one GP this year. I hope she comes back strong.

GPF Barcelona here I come
    NYC, New Mexico, Azores, Cape Cod then Barcelona :)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha'sSpins View Post
    True. Still, it's sad Mirai will only be in one GP this year. I hope she comes back strong.
    that is sad.. she is such a beautiful and talented skater and deserves more than that..
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

vCash
    Mirai has put herself in this situation with two lackluster seasons. This was the time Mirai needed to establish herself as the top US Lady but she's regressed. Her questionable work habits and nerves have really taken their toll on her.

vCash
    ^ I don't understand why everyone blaims this solely on Mirai. Ashley for example placed 6th at Nationals in 2011, and had a pretty lackluster season, placing 5th at NHK making numerous mistakes in the FS even if she was battling a pinched nerve or something, and came back to win a bronze medal at COR. Then she made numerous mistakes in the SP at 2011 Nationals (due to a cold) and had an okay LP. She herself even called the 2010-2011 season as "mediocre." Yet she still managed to get 2 GPs the following season when GP entries were reduced also. So then why didn't Mirai get two? She had a very similar season to Ashley's 2010-2011 season last season, and yet only got one and got passed up for a lackluster Christina Gao.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    If you were a host federation, would you want your skaters to compete against Gao or against Nagasu, based on last year's results and scores?
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    ^ I don't understand why everyone blaims this solely on Mirai. Ashley for example placed 6th at Nationals in 2011, and had a pretty lackluster season, placing 5th at NHK making numerous mistakes in the FS even if she was battling a pinched nerve or something, and came back to win a bronze medal at COR. Then she made numerous mistakes in the SP at 2011 Nationals (due to a cold) and had an okay LP. She herself even called the 2010-2011 season as "mediocre." Yet she still managed to get 2 GPs the following season when GP entries were reduced also. So then why didn't Mirai get two? She had a very similar season to Ashley's 2010-2011 season last season, and yet only got one and got passed up for a lackluster Christina Gao.
    I don't remember the specifics around Ashley, but, IMHO, they are irrelevant. Every year is different and every year brings new skaters to the competition. Perhaps there is more competition this year. Maybe the average score is higher than usual. Who knows? The key thing that every athlete has to realize is that they are completely and totally responsible for their own performance, and they have absolutely no control over anyone else's. Mirai was not having to fight for recognition. She wasn't some unknown trying to get into the final flight so that she would get the PCS she needed to win. She already had all of that. I believe it was Wayne Gretzky who said "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard." I think it is more complicated than that, but as far as slogans for the bathroom mirror, I think it is very applicable to this situation.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

on the rink doing synchronized spirals with Michelle Kwan, Sasha Cohen, Shawn Sawyer, Alissa Czisny, Rohene Ward, Yukina Ota, Caroline Zhang & Mirai Nagasu
    vCash
    I'm still hoping that she gets a 2nd Grand Prix somehow. I think for several different reasons Mirai got screwed in the pickings for this Grand Prix season

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    If you were a host federation, would you want your skaters to compete against Gao or against Nagasu, based on last year's results and scores?
    My other biggest question, why is selection based on what the host country wants and not who is next on the alternate's list?

vCash
    One likely reason is because the host countries pay for the expenses of the GP skaters they invite.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mag View Post
    I don't remember the specifics around Ashley, but, IMHO, they are irrelevant. Every year is different and every year brings new skaters to the competition. Perhaps there is more competition this year. Maybe the average score is higher than usual. Who knows? The key thing that every athlete has to realize is that they are completely and totally responsible for their own performance, and they have absolutely no control over anyone else's. Mirai was not having to fight for recognition. She wasn't some unknown trying to get into the final flight so that she would get the PCS she needed to win. She already had all of that. I believe it was Wayne Gretzky who said "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard." I think it is more complicated than that, but as far as slogans for the bathroom mirror, I think it is very applicable to this situation.
    You are throwing in a lot of variables that are pretty easily verifiable... The competition for GPs for the ladies this season are not much different from what they were a season ago. There was definitely not more competition for spots this year for GP spots. And Mirai also had a higher SB score this season (with a higher season's best ranking) than Ashley did when she received her two GPs.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    My other biggest question, why is selection based on what the host country wants and not who is next on the alternate's list?
    Some stated considerations are cost and visa complications, but I think that if a federation is hosting the event, they should be ready to pay for replacement flights and accommodations as part of the budget for the event. (If an expedited visa is required, then I think the skater's federation should pay for the difference between regular and expedited visa processing.)

I also think the alternates list should go in strict order unless:

1. The number of entries from that country for that discipline is already three.
    2. The skater has to travel to another continent for back-to-back events, unless the skater lives/trains in the second continent.
    3. It's impossible to get a necessary visa.
    4. The skater would miss a required national championship or championship qualifier.

Alternately, strict order, where possible, should be applied to the Top 24 SB list, with the rest being set in groups of five at the start, and the first five on the list (after Top 24 SB) would have to be chosen before the next group was tapped, unless it was impossible.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Looks like Amelie Lacoste got Yretha's spot at CoC. Still no replacement for TEB...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha'sSpins View Post
    If she does well at Finlandia, she will probably get a second invite when someone pulls out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    If I were a host federation that has a weak ladies discipline with no real medal potential from any of the ladies, I would invite the one that makes the field stronger and is more popular that can sell more tickets.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by change of edge View Post
    Looks like Amelie Lacoste got Yretha's spot at CoC. Still no replacement for TEB...
    Yes, LaCoste is now "official" on the update from this morning.

http://www.isu.org/vsite/vnavsite/pa...v-list,00.html

I still highly doubt Czisny will be ready for NHK. Nagasu would seem like an ideal fit there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by toddlj View Post

I still highly doubt Czisny will be ready for NHK. Nagasu would seem like an ideal fit there.
    I've been holding my tongue this whole time, and I am glad that finally someone pointed out the obvious!
    Beefcake's fancy, saccharine, artsy, drag bingo cliche effusing, bipolar, OTT fashionista manchild

on the rink doing synchronized spirals with Michelle Kwan, Sasha Cohen, Shawn Sawyer, Alissa Czisny, Rohene Ward, Yukina Ota, Caroline Zhang & Mirai Nagasu
    vCash
    I think everyone finds it obvious, but you never know what will happen. For all anyone knows Alissa could go. So all other options need to be looked at.

vCash
    yes. I think we all thought of that. but how do we know if USA can them convince to take Mirai without a doubt? It is a gamble if they planned for it that way and we don't know if Alissa will be fit or not. she is certainly determined enough.

vCash
    I don't think Alissa is likely to withdraw... she tends to like to compete even if we fans are thinking she's unprepared/underprepared. My guess is that if she is feeling physically well, even if not top form, she'll be at NHK.

vCash
    Of course Alissa will withdraw. There's pretty much no chance for her to be ready after such a serious injury and having only recently returned to the ice.

Page 37 of 51 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast