Page 27 of 51 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by toddlj View Post
    I can't imagine Czisny will be ready for her GP (NHK), perhaps Nagasu will get that one. She's popular in Japan.
    Yes, that's the most likely case. French federation might have considered that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    Nagasu's situation still is somewhat different from the other skaters mentioned. Although she tanked at nationals last year, her skates early in the season weren't horrendous. She medaled at TEB and I suspect TEB officials chose Gao over Nagasu becuase Nagasu is a better medal conteder/better skater and they don't want to hurt their ladies. Nagasu still skated much better than Gao the whole season (excluding Nationals) IMO. Gao has been to Junior Worlds three years in a row and still hasn't received a medal, while her less consistent teammate, Agnes has medalled twice.
    Well last year, her skate at SC was pretty bad, very tentative, 5th in the SP and 5th in the LP for a 151 score, yet only a week later at CoC, she was 2nd in both SP and LP with a 173 score behind only Kostner. Went up 20+ points in a week. Her silver medal at TEB was in the 2010-11 season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NMURA View Post
    Yes, that's the most likely case. French federation might have considered that.

But they had no right to consider that. According to the rules anyway.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedwig View Post
    But they had no right to consider that. According to the rules anyway.
    What rule? The French federation can ignore Nagasu if they want a relatively weak field. Any rules issued from the ISU are just guidelines, not mandatory. I'd like to see Nagasu at NHK trophy. So I shall welcome their consideration.

IF the French federation had chosen Phaneuf as a replacement. Do you think anyone (from the ISU or other federations) protests their decision? I don't think so. In the case of GPS, the host federations always have their choices and they are respected.
    Last edited by NMURA; 08-12-2012 at 08:57 PM.

vCash
    Since Zijun Li has been removed, maybe it was simply a data entry mistake (kind of like when the ISU recently added Katarina KNEZEVIC to the Skate America roster). Or maybe someone at USFS challenged the choice based on their interpretation of the replacement rules:

The alternate list needs to be worked through in ranking order for the top 24 ranked skaters/couples according to their Season’s Best. All skaters/couples of the alternate list will be grouped in top ranked groups of five (5) skaters, out of which the respective Organizing Member may pick one skater/couple for invitation.

I'm not a lawyer and I've never played one on TV, but it does sound like the second sentence is meant to start with #25 on the seasons best list. Otherwise, then the second sentence nullifies the first and the mention of top 24 being worked through in ranked order wouldn't even need to be there. Seems that the host pick for the LOC is much looser than last season, but still some definite rules for replacements.
    Last edited by Tammi; 08-12-2012 at 09:09 PM.

Title-less
    vCash
    I think when the dust settles, Nagasu will probably get another assignment, whether it's another GP or senior B. It's probably too early to say Nagasu is robbed of an assignment.

I wish Nagasu were assigned to SA (for my own selfish reasons ), but then USFS has assigned two 5th place nationals finishers to SA (Razzano and Gao), and it is probably good to spread the wealth around.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I know, and it makes me feel bek-ish that bothers me
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    GP spots, apart from host spots, have nothing to do with Nationals results (see Dornbush). I'm annoyed that unless Team Nagasu/USFS turned down the spot, the GP Announcement rules are worth less than toilet paper, which is, at least, useful.
    Honestly.

on the rink doing synchronized spirals with Michelle Kwan, Sasha Cohen, Shawn Sawyer, Alissa Czisny, Rohene Ward, Yukina Ota, Caroline Zhang & Mirai Nagasu
    vCash
    Im not going to go on, as I agree with most people. I think its ridiculous that we are even having to have this discussion. Mirai should have been given a 2nd Grand Prix at this point. I know that no one likes to follow rules, but they are there for a reason. I hope she is given one soon.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NMURA View Post
    What rule? The French federation can ignore Nagasu if they want a relatively weak field. Any rules issued from the ISU are just guidelines, not mandatory. I'd like to see Nagasu at NHK trophy. So I shall welcome their consideration.

IF the French federation had chosen Phaneuf as a replacement. Do you think anyone (from the ISU or other federations) protests their decision? I don't think so. In the case of GPS, the host federations always have their choices and they are respected.
    Like others pointed out: According to the ISU rules, Nagasu should have been chosen.

In the past they had more leeway and it lead to weak fields and host countries doing each others favours. Therefore, other rules had been in place.

Even if Mirai still gets another GP I am still pissed that the rules are not followed.

If they had chose Phaneuf, I would have protested even more.

vCash
    So any guesses for the two open spots in SC and NHK due to Marley/Brubaker split??

Next 5 in line from the SB list (not counting teams doing JGP):

Vise & Baldwin (already at Skate Canada)
    James & CIpres (likely will get the TBA at TEB)
    Gerboldt & Enbert (already at Skate Canada)
    Hausch & Wende
    Steele & Schultz (are they still together???)

MY guess is H&W will get Skate Canada and Gerboldt&Enbert willl get NHK Trophy.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    You mean if the host feds follow the "suggestions" in the GP Announcement?
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedwig View Post
    Like others pointed out: According to the ISU rules, Nagasu should have been chosen.

In the past they had more leeway and it lead to weak fields and host countries doing each others favours. Therefore, other rules had been in place.

Even if Mirai still gets another GP I am still pissed that the rules are not followed.

If they had chose Phaneuf, I would have protested even more.
    What FSU folks "pointed out" doesn't matter. The ISU and host federations decide. As long as there's no penalty for not following "rules", they are just guidelines. Some FSU folks pointed out that the Japanese and French federations didn't follow the GP assignment rules for men, but "rules" themselves have changed instead.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    You mean if the host feds follow the "suggestions" in the GP Announcement?

Of course, the ISU GP rules are a hot mess, thats for sure. But they are still chosing from the next 5 in line (Li was the exception thank to 3 russian ladies already booked at TEB, the rules are allowing Nagasu being left out so far so Im not wuzrobbing her yet )

Anyway, I just want Gerboldt & Enbert to get their 2nd event right now so the RUS fed has no choise but to give Martiusheva & Rogonov the TBA at Cup of Russia.

vCash
    If Plushenko is doing a show in St Petersburg on the 7th, does that take him out of the running for the CoR TBA?

I would think it would, but who knows with anything about this season at this point

vCash
    Due to the announced MARLEY / BRUBAKER split, there are now two open slots: SC and NHK. Who's on top of the subs list?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiK View Post
    So any guesses for the two open spots in SC and NHK due to Marley/Brubaker split??

Next 5 in line from the SB list (not counting teams doing JGP):

Vise & Baldwin (already at Skate Canada)
    James & CIpres (likely will get the TBA at TEB)
    Gerboldt & Enbert (already at Skate Canada)
    Hausch & Wende
    Steele & Schultz (are they still together???)

MY guess is H&W will get Skate Canada and Gerboldt&Enbert willl get NHK Trophy.
    ^

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkFeathers View Post
    If Plushenko is doing a show in St Petersburg on the 7th, does that take him out of the running for the CoR TBA?

I would think it would, but who knows with anything about this season at this point
    Doesn't CoR competition start on the 9th? Everything is possible!

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiK View Post
    (Li was the exception thank to 3 russian ladies already booked at TEB, the rules are allowing Nagasu being left out so far so Im not wuzrobbing her yet )
    What section in the GP announcement allows the French Fed to bypass 1. the top-ranked Ladies skater in the Top 24 and 2. an eligible Ladies skater in the first group of five -- i.e., not already assigned; no three US Ladies already assigned -- to select a skater from the second group of five?

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post
    According to this http://www.isuresults.com/events/gp2012/gpsladies.htm the empty TEB spot has gone to Christina Gao.
    I don't know when the GP Ladies PDF update was published but the latest version dated August 10 does include Gao's name with the "(new)" designation for TEB.

Evan Lysacek's name was added to the GP Men PDF today (August 15) for Skate America - ditto for Castelli/Shnapir in the GP Pairs PDF (Marley/Brubaker's names have been crossed out ), and Cannuscio/McManus in the Dance PDF.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Page 27 of 51 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast