Page 26 of 51 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    Oh....so she plans to compete at Nationals this year? I thought she was done.
    I doubt USFS would have chosen her for SA if she weren't intending to compete this year in the US qualifying season.

vCash
    Rachael has never indicated any intention of hanging up her competitive skates. It's her non-fans who have declared her retired.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by euterpe View Post
    IMO, Gao got it over Nagasu because Gao is less competition for the French ladies.
    And there are already 3 Russian ladies there, so the 3 Russian ladies who each only have 1 assignment but all have higher SB scores than Gao (Shelepen, Biryukova, and Korobeynikova) couldn't be sent. So it was down to Gao or Nagasu and Gao was picked, like you mentioned because it is more likely Silete and Meite can beat her than Nagasu.

Helping Mirai choose between Italian dressing and vinaigrette.
    vCash
    I think we should blame the USFSA for Mirai being in this situation at all. USFSA thought they were working the system and Mirai would be a no brainer to be picked up as a replacement. I guess they didn't consider the other feds would play ball too.

(Of course you could say Mirai messed up at Nationals and that is her own fault but that story have been beaten to death.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    In addition to Lysacek, the other 2 Skate America TBA slots have been filled by Marissa Castelli/Simon Shnapir (their 2nd GP) and Anastasia Cannuscio/Colin McManus (their first-ever Grand Prix!):
    http://skatingmagazineblog.com/2012/...skate-america/
    Cannuscio/McManus on their first GP!!

Title-less
    vCash
    actually I don't think skaters doing regional/sectional instead of GP is a bad thing. Last two seasons, a skater who had to do just that had a breakthrough season (Czisny and then Zhang. ETA: Also Carriere)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    actually I don't think skaters doing regional/sectional instead of GP is a bad thing. Last two seasons, a skater who had to do just that had a breakthrough season (Czisny and then Zhang. ETA: Also Carriere)
    For me, it's more that it's nice for other skaters to have a chance to get to nationals. Skaters like Czisny, Zhang, Nagasu or Flatt should have no trouble getting through regionals/sectionals, but it means that one fewer skater gets the chance to compete. And Midwesterns, at least, is shaping up to be potentially pretty deep in senior ladies this year (Flatt, Bereswill, Gilles, Dobbs, Baga, Jiang, Miller, Dinh, Cain, and Morgan Bell could each potentially be there).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mgobluegirl View Post
    For me, it's more that it's nice for other skaters to have a chance to get to nationals. Skaters like Czisny, Zhang, Nagasu or Flatt should have no trouble getting through regionals/sectionals, but it means that one fewer skater gets the chance to compete. And Midwesterns, at least, is shaping up to be potentially pretty deep in senior ladies this year (Flatt, Bereswill, Gilles, Dobbs, Baga, Jiang, Miller, Dinh, Cain, and Morgan Bell could each potentially be there).
    ITA. there are a lot of skaters i love who might not make it out of mids and especially out of pacific coast sectionals this coming season. i so wish they could all be at nationals. that's why i'm crossing my fingers for keiser, wang, lam and hicks to all make JGPF! oh, and miller and cain as well...

vCash
    Except in Nagasu's case

if she skates well at GP: she loses a chance to get ISU points, some prize money, a GP medal and a GPF berth.

if she skates poorly at sectionals: she doesn't qualify for Nationals

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Except in Nagasu's case

if she skates well at GP: she loses a chance to get ISU points, some prize money, a GP medal and a GPF berth.
    Not to mention missing out on another chance to build reputation if she's skating well consistently.

Title-less
    vCash
    Except in Nagasu's case

if she skates poorly at sectionals: she doesn't qualify for Nationals
    And she got that chance every past year since winning nationals, and she has yet to make GPF or have a consistently stellar season. Sometimes leaving skaters at home, or missing out on nationals, isn't such a bad thing. Last time Nagasu missed out on US nationals, she came back the next year winning junior ladies. In her case, the issue is her head, her heart and her fight. If she wants this, she'll fight for it ala Zhang, Czisny (and to a smaller extent, Wagner), who went from outside top six/ten at nationals to being a US elite again .

Quote Originally Posted by mgobluegirl View Post
    I feel for the ladies who may miss out on regionals if Nagasu indeed competes at her pacific regional, but what benefits other skaters shouldn't influence where Nagasu should compete, IMHO.
    Last edited by jlai; 08-12-2012 at 02:02 PM.

vCash
    And she got that chance every past year since winning nationals, and she has yet to make GPF or have a consistently stellar season. Sometimes leaving skaters at home, or missing out on nationals, isn't such a bad thing.
    If she isn't a early season skater, isn't it all the better reason for Nagasu to do a 2nd GP instead of going to Sectionals? If she bombs at that GP, there's that, but she still gets to go to Nationals. If she bombs at Sectionals, she doesn't go to Nationals.

FWIW, she has been left off the world team for 2 consecutive seasons and I don't see her any more motivated from within than before.

Title-less
    vCash
    If she isn't a early season skater, isn't it all the better reason for Nagasu to do a 2nd GP instead of going to Sectionals? If she bombs at that GP, there's that, but she still gets to go to Nationals. If she bombs at Sectionals, she doesn't go to Nationals.

FWIW, she has been left off the world team for 2 consecutive seasons and I don't see her any more motivated from within than before.
    If she isn't any more motivated then I don't think it matters whether she gets a second gp. eta: Nagasu won't have to do Pacific Coast sectional, btw. Just regional which she should be just fine (That regional, the qualifiers are probably Lam, Hicks, Keiser, and Nagasu in any order, and that is only if none gets a bye for doing another event)

ETA: re: MW sectionals. That does look to be a tough field, and I hope a skater makes JGPF
    Last edited by jlai; 08-12-2012 at 02:39 PM.

vCash
    Nagasu won't have to do Pacific Coast sectional, btw. Just regional which she should be just fine (That regional, the qualifiers are probably Lam, Hicks, Keiser, and Nagasu in any order, and that is only if none gets a bye for doing another event)
    jlai, I've replied to your post in the U.S. Ladies thread in the Trash Can (since it's off-topic here ): http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...59#post3656659

ETA the direct links to the GP roster tables by discipline:
    http://www.isuresults.com/events/gp2012/gpsladies.htm
    http://www.isuresults.com/events/gp2012/gpsmen.htm
    http://www.isuresults.com/events/gp2012/gpspairs.htm
    http://www.isuresults.com/events/gp2012/gpsdance.htm
    Last edited by Sylvia; 08-12-2012 at 03:26 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Nagasu's situation still is somewhat different from the other skaters mentioned. Although she tanked at nationals last year, her skates early in the season weren't horrendous. She medaled at TEB and I suspect TEB officials chose Gao over Nagasu becuase Nagasu is a better medal conteder/better skater and they don't want to hurt their ladies. Nagasu still skated much better than Gao the whole season (excluding Nationals) IMO. Gao has been to Junior Worlds three years in a row and still hasn't received a medal, while her less consistent teammate, Agnes has medalled twice.

Title-less
    vCash
    People were complaining how skaters who were top 5 at nationals dont get a gp, and now that Gao gets one ahead of a 7th place finisher at naitonals, people complain too.

vCash
    I can't imagine Czisny will be ready for her GP (NHK), perhaps Nagasu will get that one. She's popular in Japan.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    People were complaining how skaters who were top 5 at nationals dont get a gp, and now that Gao gets one ahead of a 7th place finisher at naitonals, people complain too.
    GP spots, apart from host spots, have nothing to do with Nationals results (see Dornbush). I'm annoyed that unless Team Nagasu/USFS turned down the spot, the GP Announcement rules are worth less than toilet paper, which is, at least, useful.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    GP spots, apart from host spots, have nothing to do with Nationals results (see Dornbush). I'm annoyed that unless Team Nagasu/USFS turned down the spot, the GP Announcement rules are worth less than toilet paper, which is, at least, useful.
    This.

And this.

Title-less
    vCash

Talking

Whi
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    GP spots, apart from host spots, have nothing to do with Nationals results (see Dornbush). .
    I know that, but there will be complaints regardless of who is sent (ie see complaints re: Armin not being sent)

ISU doesnt follow its rules, we know that already.
    Last edited by jlai; 08-12-2012 at 08:50 PM.

Page 26 of 51 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast