Page 20 of 51 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
    I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Not all of them have the resources to attend international competitions leading up to the SGPs.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Not all of them have the resources to attend international competitions leading up to the SGPs.
    Yeah plus the only important ones before the GP starts are Nebelhorn and Finlandia. Not every single skater without a GP event or even a 2nd will be able to participate so I do think is better to have the substitute list to be based on last season's results.

vCash
    How does Richard Dornbush have 2 grand prix assignments while Armin Mahbanoozedeh has none. ?????? They screwed Armin out of 4CC and now out of Grand Prix. WTF

vCash
    Armin really got screwed over, but let's face it, his bitchy tweets don't help his cause.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8ingcoach View Post
    How does Richard Dornbush have 2 grand prix assignments while Armin Mahbanoozedeh has none. ?????? They screwed Armin out of 4CC and now out of Grand Prix. WTF
    Simple. Richard had higher scores and better placements at his GP events this past season, plus his WR is high from his 9th place at Worlds in 2011 and several medals on the JGP. His WR alone guaranteed him one event, and he lucked out and was able to get a second when the likes of Yan, Farris, and Brown (all of who had a GP invite guaranteed due to SB, WR, or both) all ended up staying junior. He tanked at Nationals and 4CC, but Nationals doesn't really play a role in determining GP assignments and the 4CC bomb was after he had already posted 4th and 6th place finishes with scores of 202 and 205 at his GP events. Armin did well at Nationals, but his GP season was horrible, with 8th and 10th place finishes and scores of 185 and 179, and those were his only internationals this past season. He skated well at Nationals, but like I said that doesn't count for much, if he had been given the trip to 4CC like he should have, he would have gotten another shot to improve his ISU SB and based on his form at Nationals, a decent showing there would have likely been enough to earn him a respectable SB and a GP invite. That's really what it comes down to.

vCash
    Or, if Armin had skated better at the GPs, he might already have had the nod over Dornbush o that 4CC alternate list.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Armin really got screwed over, but let's face it, his bitchy tweets don't help his cause.
    link?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    link?
    Oh, I don't know..it was months/years ago.

Basically, he just pointed out the fact that Dornbush being at 4CCs was a joke and USFS got what they deserved when he bombed the SP.

Also a few years ago, he equated Laura Lepisto to a "novice level" skater when she won the world bronze with only three triple jumps.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Basically, he just pointed out the fact that Dornbush being at 4CCs was a joke and USFS got what they deserved when he bombed the SP.
    I don't remember that specific tweet ... ETA: OK, you're remembering what he tweeted (and later deleted) about the alternate list for 4CC being a joke (this was in response to Dornbush being named to 4CC as the 1st alternate to replace an injured Jeremy; Armin was the 2nd alternate) -- refer to the posts here: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...08#post3470308
    Quote Originally Posted by sadc View Post
    The link used to be in reply to someone asking him to tell them a joke. His reply was "the Four Continents alternate list."
    I don't recall Armin tweeting anything -- or mentioning Dornbush -- during or after the 4CC Men's SP or FS. (Just wanted to clear that up because people putting words in skaters' mouths can later be (mis)remembered as what they actually said when they never said it.)
    Last edited by Sylvia; 06-19-2012 at 05:24 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Also a few years ago, he equated Laura Lepisto to a "novice level" skater when she won the world bronze with only three triple jumps.
    IIRC, he also tweeted an apology saying Laura had accomplished more than he had in skating and that he had no business making his original statement.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    Yes, he did. I'm not sure Twitter is the best place for him to vent his frustrations, though. Surely, USFS follows him on Twitter and can read everything he says! It's just not doing him any favors when it comes down to things like picking alternates for a team or choosing a host pick for a GP assignment.

vCash
    Maybe Armin needs to start skating better in internationals events before he disses other skaters.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Two seasons ago USFS skipped the top three for 4C's, including Dornbush, and sent Abbott, Rippon, and Mahbahnoozadeh, who was 6th at US Nats, and as far as I know, Mahbahnoozadeh didn't complain that this was unfair to the three who placed above him. AM's score at 4C's, in which he came in 7th, was 15 points lower than at 2011 US Nationals.

It is possible that USFS took international performance into consideration, and not just club affiliation, since it put the spotlight on the selection and alternate ranking process when USFS selected Dornbush after a very weak US Nationals.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Yes, he did. I'm not sure Twitter is the best place for him to vent his frustrations, though. Surely, USFS follows him on Twitter and can read everything he says! It's just not doing him any favors when it comes down to things like picking alternates for a team or choosing a host pick for a GP assignment.
    But it shouldn't matter what he says on twitter. Sport is sport, and selection to events should be transparent-- even if the person selected has a sharp tongue on twitter. He should have taken his case to the Court of Arbitration.
    Beefcake's fancy, saccharine, artsy, drag bingo cliche effusing, bipolar, OTT fashionista manchild

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    And point to what CAS provision?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayar View Post
    But it shouldn't matter what he says on twitter. Sport is sport, and selection to events should be transparent-- even if the person selected has a sharp tongue on twitter. He should have taken his case to the Court of Arbitration.
    IIRC, under the USFSA's somewhat mushy criteria for selecting the Four Continents Team, Dornbush's superior results on the Grand Prix and 2011 Nationals, his victory at 2011 World Juniors, and Mahbahnoozadeh's tepid performance at 2011 Four Continents were enough to support the argument that Dornbush was picked on merits. I disagree with the criteria, but I don't call the shots.

And, it should matter what he says on Twitter. Skaters go to ISU Championships as representatives of their Federations and (in effect) their countries. Bad-mouthing your competitors isn't cricket.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I thought I read here that the criteria for 4C's selection changed this year and there was some vague commitment to publish them somewhere and sometime.

Brezina's Nemesis
    Collecting papers to obtain status of a Goddess for Asli
    vCash
    Anyway, who's going to replace Contesti in China and Paris?
    In Soviet Russia, the skaters lobbychick YOU.

vCash
    I am betting on Rogozine and Hendrickx.

Having said that I guess that China and France might want to play POLITIK with Piseev maybe? In that case, expect Voronov and Dmitriev to get picked.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post

And, it should matter what he says on Twitter. Skaters go to ISU Championships as representatives of their Federations and (in effect) their countries. Bad-mouthing your competitors isn't cricket.
    It should matter to the fans, but not to the selection committee. They should send the athletes poised for the most success-- they athletes who competitively EARN the spots. You don't see US Track and Field keeping people home who win the Olympic trials just because they are asshats, do you?
    Beefcake's fancy, saccharine, artsy, drag bingo cliche effusing, bipolar, OTT fashionista manchild

Page 20 of 51 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast