Page 13 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 260 of 1002
  1. #241
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    232
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    That said, I am not sure how much they care about WTT.
    I agree as well. The only reason any country would have to care about qualifying for WTT is the prize money. It would certainly not be because they primarily wanted to get the last spot over Italy for face-saving purposes, which makes no sense. It isn't the Olympics or worlds.

  2. #242
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    11,069
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Actually I do think China cares about WTT / Olympic Team Event. With their strong pairs fading and their singles disciplines not quite soup yet, I think they would love to still be able to grab a medal here and there.

    Also, a team event reflects more on the country's overall prowess, whereas an individual medal reflects more on the strength of the medallist.

    I am no gymnastics fan but IIRC they were happiest about their Team Gold back in 2008 and didn't really care nearly as much about individual medals.

    Quote Originally Posted by NMURA View Post
    China is not a country to care about maximizing JGP spots.
    Exactly. Isn't qualifying a second man for Sochi / 2014 Worlds more important than some JGP spots that they are not going to use anyway?

    Zhang He can stay junior all he wants and secure JGP spots, but Yan Han has a legit top 10 shot at 2013 Worlds IMO.

    I hope if Yan Han performs well this season, China will at least consider sending Yan to 4CCs, and if he beats Nan Song there, sending him to Worlds instead. I can totally see Yan making top ten for years to come.
    Last edited by Marco; 05-25-2012 at 03:32 AM.

  3. #243

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Sending positive thoughts to Mirai..
    Posts
    3,684
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    7566
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    If Zawadzki gets 2, then IMHO Nagasu should have certainly gotten 2 as well.
    ^^^
    THIS!
    Congrats to my ♥Baroque Rock Princess Adelina♥Meryl&Charlie♥Tatiana&Maxim♥!Team ♥Mirai♥Adam♥Julia♥

  4. #244
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    312
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by a56 View Post
    The only reason any country would have to care about qualifying for WTT is the prize money. It would certainly not be because they primarily wanted to get the last spot over Italy for face-saving purposes, which makes no sense. It isn't the Olympics or worlds.
    Prize money? What a corrupt notion of capitalism. National pride (=face) is the most important thing in Confucian-communist China. Especially, next year's WTT is a testing ground for Sochi team event. They surely don't want to miss that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I hope if Yan Han performs well this season, China will at least consider sending Yan to 4CCs, and if he beats Nan Song there, sending him to Worlds instead. I can totally see Yan making top ten for years to come.
    I don't think 4CC is the deciding factor who goes to worlds. Song was not the highest finisher but still chosen. Han Yan has lost to Song about three times in a row at Chinese domestic competitions. The results could be different under the international judges though, the Chinese federation doesn't consider Yan is SO much talented as to override the tradition of seniority.

  5. #245
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    313
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    .

  6. #246
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    313
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Actually I do think China cares about WTT / Olympic Team Event. With their strong pairs fading and their singles disciplines not quite soup yet, I think they would love to still be able to grab a medal here and there.
    I certainly agree with China caring about the Olympic Team Event but I'm not convinced about the other.

  7. #247
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    11,069
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by NMURA View Post
    I don't think 4CC is the deciding factor who goes to worlds. Song was not the highest finisher but still chosen. Han Yan has lost to Song about three times in a row at Chinese domestic competitions. The results could be different under the international judges though, the Chinese federation doesn't consider Yan is SO much talented as to override the tradition of seniority.
    I know. That's why I said I hope.

    And to be fair, Song isn't even that senior or more reliable. He went senior for 2 seasons and despite breaking through at the GP circuit last season he underperformed at 4CCs and Worlds for 2 seasons in a row.

    I can see China having hope in Song because, unlike Wu Jialiang and Guan Jinlin, he has the big jumps and is quite consistent. But so does Yan, and he is also a big PCS getter.

  8. #248
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    684
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    At this rate, Yan Han has zero chance for worlds even if he skates the lights out next season. Idiot federation! Grrrrrrr

  9. #249

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Skateland
    Posts
    7,817
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    The best news about the Sr GP assignments is the return of Johnny Weir, with TWO asignments. WOOOOHOOOO!!!! Oh yeah, baby!!!!!

  10. #250
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    276
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Mirai should have gotten two, eeeew.

  11. #251
    Spitting Nickels
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,071
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1040
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirai4life View Post
    Mirai should have gotten two, eeeew.
    Rest assured, assuming she wants another, she will get another. She will be the top sub on the list and it is VERY likely someone will need a sub.

    (Perhaps she turned down a second assignment for some reason? Perhaps with a coaching change, she is worried about being ready? She's been remarkably quiet on Twitter about it.)

  12. #252
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    328
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    I can see why the Chinese federation might want to "deny" Han Yan the Senior Grand Prix next season if they feel they might need him to medal at 2013 Junior Worlds and ensure the maximum number of JGP spots the following season. However, USFS has TWO JGP Final and Junior World medalists in Farris and Jason Brown, so why not keep Brown back and let Farris move up IF those, indeed, are their respective choices?

    ETA:

    I've observed over the past few years that USFS has been filling the Skate America TBA slots in August (after Indy Challenge, Lake Placid Dance and/or Champs Camp) or early September and have not been waiting for the results from Nebelhorn Trophy. There may be an ISU deadline for filling the TBA host spots?
    You might be right. I guess it really depends on how close the Indy results are. For example, if Duarte/Grafton, Z/B, and C/S have really good showings it could be a tighter race. IIRC, pairs hasn't been this wide open in years. D/C were the obvious choice last year and, I believe, V/B were the TBA the year before and they had a great showing at Nationals the year before and were quite good throughout the summer. With both new pairings D/L and Y/R already getting a spot it would be good to give Z/B some international points since D/G have been on the JGP circuit for sometime. I am also curious about the new Danny O'shea partnership with Tarah Kayne. Maybe they will do well and grab a Senior B.

  13. #253
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,882
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    (Perhaps she turned down a second assignment for some reason? Perhaps with a coaching change, she is worried about being ready? She's been remarkably quiet on Twitter about it.)
    well, last time she was open about her (skating) thoughts, she got eaten alive...I can't blame her for that this time.

  14. #254
    I <3 Kozuka
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Vancouver/Seattle
    Posts
    18,210
    vCash
    730
    Rep Power
    19005
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha'sSpins View Post
    ^^^
    THIS!
    Nagasu is first in line on the alternates list. There is a 95% chance she will get a second. There was almost no chance that Zawadzki would as a alternate.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

  15. #255

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    338
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Nagasu is first in line on the alternates list. There is a 95% chance she will get a second. There was almost no chance that Zawadzki would as a alternate.
    Exactly. Most likely it's not Mirai who is robbed, but someone else who is 3rd-5th on the alternate list. One of them might not get the second assignment because Agnes got hers ahead of them.

  16. #256

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3,641
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Mirai didn't skate well enough last season to deserve 2 events on the GP this year. She needs a wake up call.

  17. #257
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    328
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Mirai didn't skate well enough last season to deserve 2 events on the GP this year. She needs a wake up call.
    Well, Mirai did medal at a GP last year. I am sure she will end up with two GP's with her World Ranking and alternate standing. Or maybe this is USFS way to tell her to pull it together and skate to her potential. Worked for Zhang (who has nowhere near the success of Nagasu, but I had written Caroline off a couple of years ago and look what happened)

  18. #258
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,234
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jjane45 View Post
    At this rate, Yan Han has zero chance for worlds even if he skates the lights out next season. Idiot federation! Grrrrrrr
    Actually, no. He can always make his senior debut at Worlds 2012 and likely will if Song has an underwhelming season and Yan beats him at Nationals. He Zhang is a strong skater who can represent China well at JW if Yan goes to senior Worlds. Han Yan can do what Ricky Dornbush did in 2010-2011, JGP in the fall then senior Worlds in the spring, same goes for Josh Farris or Jason Brown.

  19. #259
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    25
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Did anyone figure out why Cynthia Phaneuf was left off the Canadian assignment list? Have they lost hope in her already? I see this going the way of Mira Leung...

  20. #260
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    684
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Actually, no. He can always make his senior debut at Worlds 2012 and likely will if Song has an underwhelming season and Yan beats him at Nationals. He Zhang is a strong skater who can represent China well at JW if Yan goes to senior Worlds. Han Yan can do what Ricky Dornbush did in 2010-2011, JGP in the fall then senior Worlds in the spring, same goes for Josh Farris or Jason Brown.
    The problem is, Chinese Fed tends to make up its mind at the beginning of season and stick to it. Yan will not win Nationals over Song barring major disasters. Seniority rules :S

Page 13 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •