Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 220 of 1002
  1. #201
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    1,849
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Looks like Canada is starting to place its bets now for the Olympic games, which means picking a smaller pool of skaters to focus on to develop into contenders for the slots.

    We're deep in pairs and dance now so there is clear focus. Paul/Islam are the casualty there.

    No surprises in Men. Reynolds and Chan are likely to go to Sochi so it's now about finding a 3rd of we get that spot. I think the real contenders are Rogozine and Ten and then I think Firus if he gets the 3A. I'm not convinced about Balde...

    Ladies. Wow. Lacoste gets SC because she won nats I'm assuming. Phaneuf has been dumped and will have to win some Bs to get attention back to her. I see a real scenario where Osmond goes to London. I think the wildcard for the Windsor slot is Myriane Samson. If her training is going well she may get a look.

  2. #202

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    5,961
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    6943
    Quote Originally Posted by demetriosj View Post
    While you may be a huge Gracie fan, she hasn't paid her dues.
    Did they add a dues-paying requirement above and beyond basic membership while I wasn't looking?

  3. #203

    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Age
    42
    Posts
    8,592
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2418
    Quote Originally Posted by love_skate2011 View Post
    I just don't get why Zawadzki always gets so many cahnces
    she is even worst than Gao, imo
    Huh? Agnes won the U.S. junior title in 2010, and followed that up with Junior Worlds silver. As such, she was assigned to TWO Grand Prix events in the fall of 2010. She was 4th as a senior at 2011 U.S. Nationals, was selected for and won the Junior Worlds bronze medal. As a result, she was selected for two GPs in the fall of 2011. At the 2012 U.S. Championships, she won the bronze medal and was assigned to and placed 6th at 4CCs. She received two GPs as a result. How has she been given so many chances? Seems to me, she hasn't been given chances, but instead has earned her assignments.
    Beefcake's fancy, saccharine, artsy, drag bingo cliche effusing, bipolar, OTT fashionista manchild

  4. #204
    I <3 Kozuka
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Vancouver/Seattle
    Posts
    19,172
    vCash
    730
    Rep Power
    43386
    Two things interesting about the Press Release about GP Assignments:

    In the language of the release, the only skaters that are guaranteed spots are:

    • Seeded skaters (1-6)-two
    • 7-12 at prior Worlds-two
    • JGPF/JW medalists-one


    It says, "and skaters with a high seasons best score as well as those placed in the top of the World Standings can also be invited."

    (They mention nothing about "come-back" skaters or the obvious rule change that "split couples" can be assigned in the initial selection, not just the alternates list.)

    This may be the ISU being its typical, vaguely worded self, or there might have been a rule change, although the behavior -- all senior skaters in the Top 24 SB and WS got at least one -- followed last year's rules.

    The changes in GP minimums are:
    • Ladies: 113.43 vs. 117.48 in 2011-12. Cut-off is 98 SB vs. 81 SB.
    • Men: 159.66 vs. 168.60 in 2011-12. Cut of is 77 SB vs. 60 SB.
    • Pairs: 120.90 vs. 130.71 in 2011-12. Cut-off is 52 SB vs. 33 SB.
    • Dance: 109.59 vs. 115.15 in 2011-12. Cut-off is 66 SB vs. 59 SB.


    Where the GP minimum differential is ~10 points, in

    Pairs,
    • There is a 58% increase in the number of teams that made this year's GP minimum.
    • 44 SB would have made last year's GP minimum, an increase of 33.34% over last year's qualifiers.


    Men
    • There is a 28% increase in the number of Men who made this year's GP minimum
    • 61 SB would have made last year's GP minimum, an increase of 1.5%.


    In Dance, there was a decrease of 5.56 in the GP minimum, and
    • There is a 31% increase in the number of teams that made this year's GP minimum
    • 63 SB would have made last year's GP minimum, an increase of 7%.


    In Ladies, there was a decrease of 4.05, and
    • There is a 21% increase in the number of Ladies who made this year's GP minimum
    • 89 would have made last year's GP minimum, an increase of 11%.


    I think it's interesting that there would have been an increase in the number of skaters who made last year's GP minimum, even though for Men, the change is insignificant.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

  5. #205
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,467
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayar View Post
    Huh? Agnes won the U.S. junior title in 2010, and followed that up with Junior Worlds silver. As such, she was assigned to TWO Grand Prix events in the fall of 2010. She was 4th as a senior at 2011 U.S. Nationals, was selected for and won the Junior Worlds bronze medal. As a result, she was selected for two GPs in the fall of 2011. At the 2012 U.S. Championships, she won the bronze medal and was assigned to and placed 6th at 4CCs. She received two GPs as a result. How has she been given so many chances? Seems to me, she hasn't been given chances, but instead has earned her assignments.
    past results means nothing if you are a headcase
    Zawadzki if she bombs pretty much gets very low scores

  6. #206

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    6,867
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    88512
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock2 View Post
    ...No surprises in Men. Reynolds and Chan are likely to go to Sochi so it's now about finding a 3rd of we get that spot. I think the real contenders are Rogozine and Ten and then I think Firus if he gets the 3A. I'm not convinced about Balde...
    I'm not sure I would write Balde off just yet. We haven't seen the results of his coaching change. If he comes out and nails a couple of summer comps I think he will be in the mix. When he is on he has the most amazing 3A.

    I heard a rumor that Firus is training in Colorado Springs ... anyone down there who can report? I would love him to get a solid 3A so we have a real fight for those spots. I think Chan is a lock - short of a broken bone - but I the other one or two spots could go to any of Reynolds, Ten, Rogozine, Balde, or Firus. I'm not sure there is anyone else out there really in the running.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

  7. #207

    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Albany, NY
    Age
    33
    Posts
    6,547
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    975
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayar View Post
    Huh? Agnes won the U.S. junior title in 2010, and followed that up with Junior Worlds silver. As such, she was assigned to TWO Grand Prix events in the fall of 2010. She was 4th as a senior at 2011 U.S. Nationals, was selected for and won the Junior Worlds bronze medal. As a result, she was selected for two GPs in the fall of 2011. At the 2012 U.S. Championships, she won the bronze medal and was assigned to and placed 6th at 4CCs. She received two GPs as a result. How has she been given so many chances? Seems to me, she hasn't been given chances, but instead has earned her assignments.
    Exactly.

  8. #208
    GPF Barcelona here I come
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    NYC, New Mexico, Azores, Cape Cod then Barcelona :)
    Posts
    9,174
    vCash
    334
    Rep Power
    33415
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    As far as I know she's still training with Orser and SC still has a TBA spot for the Ladies. I suppose they could give that spot to Najarro or DeSanctis but I don't really see that happening.
    Joannie


    Quote Originally Posted by Rock2 View Post
    Looks like Canada is starting to place its bets now for the Olympic games, which means picking a smaller pool of skaters to focus on to develop into contenders for the slots.

    We're deep in pairs and dance now so there is clear focus. Paul/Islam are the casualty there.

    No surprises in Men. Reynolds and Chan are likely to go to Sochi so it's now about finding a 3rd of we get that spot. I think the real contenders are Rogozine and Ten and then I think Firus if he gets the 3A. I'm not convinced about Balde...

    Ladies. Wow. Lacoste gets SC because she won nats I'm assuming. Phaneuf has been dumped and will have to win some Bs to get attention back to her. I see a real scenario where Osmond goes to London. I think the wildcard for the Windsor slot is Myriane Samson. If her training is going well she may get a look.
    Assuming Joannie puts the rumours to rest and doesn't return.. then I think Osmond could be a factor..

    Quote Originally Posted by mag View Post
    I'm not sure I would write Balde off just yet. We haven't seen the results of his coaching change. If he comes out and nails a couple of summer comps I think he will be in the mix. When he is on he has the most amazing 3A.

    Reynolds, Ten, Rogozine, Balde, or Firus. I'm not sure there is anyone else out there really in the running.
    No I think you have nailed them.. I think it will come down to a consistent clean program and summer monitoring is going to be a major factor..
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

    "Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

  9. #209

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Eagerly awaiting the Olympics!
    Age
    25
    Posts
    18,540
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    10229
    Quote Originally Posted by love_skate2011 View Post
    past results means nothing if you are a headcase
    Zawadzki if she bombs pretty much gets very low scores
    Past results earn you spots on the GP so, in this case, they actually mean everything.

  10. #210

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2,186
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3200
    Quote Originally Posted by Theatregirl1122 View Post
    Past results earn you spots on the GP so, in this case, they actually mean everything.
    Yes, I'm pretty sure that the ISU is only looking at results, not skater psychology or emotional life.

  11. #211

    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Age
    42
    Posts
    8,592
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2418
    Quote Originally Posted by love_skate2011 View Post
    past results means nothing if you are a headcase
    Zawadzki if she bombs pretty much gets very low scores
    Everybody gets low scores if they bomb. You just don't like Agnes for some reason, and that's fine. But stop stating that she gets too many chances when all she has done is work hard, performed well enough to earn assignments, and, well, try.
    Beefcake's fancy, saccharine, artsy, drag bingo cliche effusing, bipolar, OTT fashionista manchild

  12. #212
    I <3 Kozuka
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Vancouver/Seattle
    Posts
    19,172
    vCash
    730
    Rep Power
    43386
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ Skatefan View Post
    Yes, I'm pretty sure that the ISU is only looking at results, not skater psychology or emotional life.
    Exactly: the ISU's selection criteria is entirely results-based and agnostic to skater psychology and emotional life: it's the Federations that negotiate for their skaters at other events and strategically choose their host picks and skaters' competition (whenever possible in the selection order) at their own events.

    It doesn't matter if fans consider a skater an inconsistent headcase or the greatest arteeste on the planet and more deserving than someone who meets the criteria.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

  13. #213

    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    La Belle Province
    Age
    36
    Posts
    13,376
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3763
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    As far as I know she's still training with Orser and SC still has a TBA spot for the Ladies. I suppose they could give that spot to Najarro or DeSanctis but I don't really see that happening.
    Cynthia recently tweeted about apartment hunting in Toronto, so safe to assume she's committed to training for next season.

  14. #214
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    1,849
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mag View Post
    I'm not sure I would write Balde off just yet. We haven't seen the results of his coaching change. If he comes out and nails a couple of summer comps I think he will be in the mix. When he is on he has the most amazing 3A.

    I heard a rumor that Firus is training in Colorado Springs ... anyone down there who can report? I would love him to get a solid 3A so we have a real fight for those spots. I think Chan is a lock - short of a broken bone - but I the other one or two spots could go to any of Reynolds, Ten, Rogozine, Balde, or Firus. I'm not sure there is anyone else out there really in the running.
    Fair point on Balde. I'll keep him on the short list...but deeper on it
    Oh God how I wish we qualify 3 men for Sochi but this will be so hard. Reynolds skated so well but there were a number of guys who finished below him who could have just as easily beaten him...

  15. #215

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Victoria BC
    Age
    70
    Posts
    3,009
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3722
    I have great faith that Balde will show improvement after his coaching and choreographer change. IMHO, he is in the mix but needs to get more experience and opportunities.
    Guess I will have to be satisfied with Senior Bs.

    Just can't warm up to Rogozine or Firus. Balde, on the other hand......

  16. #216
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    328
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    Eyeballing the TBA at SA for US pairs -

    I bet it will come down to a 2d assignment for any one of Yankowskas / Reagan, Davis / Ladwig, or Castelli / Shnapir, or perhaps a 1st assignment for Zhang / Bartholomay.

    C/S might get an edge if they are landing throw Quads.

    FWIW, Y/R will have 2 months together as a pair longer than D/L

    Donlan / Speroff are already there.

    The summer comps and Nebelhorn will be verryyy important for US pairs!
    Indy should be interesting! My guess is Z/B will get Nebelhorn and if they do well at both events will get the TBA spot. I don't see Y/R or D/L being SA ready because of the new partnership, especially Mark and Lindsay as they haven't been together long and Mark has been with one partner for such a long time it has to be a big adjustment.

  17. #217

    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    7,595
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1913
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    This.

    No, Josh should not decide when he wants to move up.

    It's not just about him and about what he wants.

    USFS should do what's in the best interest of US Figure Skating and not what's in the perceived best interest of an individual skater.

    Josh is certainly capable of making the JGPF and then even winning it, so keeping him on the JGP for one more season certainly makes more sense than him having just one GP and then placing in the middle of the pack, most likely.

    When the did the USFS turn into the Chinese federation?

  18. #218
    GPF Barcelona here I come
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    NYC, New Mexico, Azores, Cape Cod then Barcelona :)
    Posts
    9,174
    vCash
    334
    Rep Power
    33415
    Quote Originally Posted by JasperBoy View Post
    I have great faith that Balde will show improvement after his coaching and choreographer change. IMHO, he is in the mix but needs to get more experience and opportunities.
    Guess I will have to be satisfied with Senior Bs.

    Just can't warm up to Rogozine or Firus. Balde, on the other hand......
    me too he has that 'star' quality that is missing from the others.. although some potential with Firus..
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

    "Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

  19. #219
    Prick Admin
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Having a kiki
    Posts
    42,367
    vCash
    506
    Rep Power
    25076
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayra View Post
    When the did the USFS turn into the Chinese federation?
    This is how all federations work. You have to think strategically when you make decisions on which skaters you are going to send to which competitions. With so many skaters to choose from I imagine it's even more difficult for the USFS. You're never going to please everyone.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

  20. #220

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    5,961
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    6943
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    This is how all federations work. You have to think strategically when you make decisions on which skaters you are going to send to which competitions. With so many skaters to choose from I imagine it's even more difficult for the USFS. You're never going to please everyone.
    I'd completely agree with you when it is the USFSA's choice, but when an athlete is guaranteed a spot under the ISU rules and then is apparently denied the spot by the USFSA, that's wrong. Should Barbie Long go out on the JGP? That's completely up to the USFSA. Should Abbott be denied the GP he earned because the USFSA was very disappointed in his results last year? I don't think so. Brown seems to have earned a spot based on last year's results. Unless the rules changed making that not so, or unless he violated some "morals clause," if he wanted the GP he should have gotten it. Ditto with Farris.

    That doesn't mean that the USFSA shouldn't speak with the skater & coach about why they think Plan B might be better -- but in the end, it would seem that it ought to be the skater's choice, and it seemed that Farris, at least, was blindsided.

Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •