Page 33 of 51 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast
    vCash
    IMHO, Han Yan still being held in the Junior circuit is a combination of the Chinese Federation not giving enough attention to the discipline of men’s singles, underestimating their young star’s potential, and their ultimate reluctance to reject the tradition of keeping skaters in the junior circuit till they age out
    Last edited by Gliding on ice; 09-08-2012 at 03:10 AM.

vCash
    I don't get this reputation saving face at all
    why sacrifice it when you have a good chance of your skaters giving you 2 or even 3 spots for an Olympics

vCash
    Is it Han Yan or Yan Han? I know the last name should go first, but I'm uncertain which is his last name and which is his first.

I have great fondness for skaters with easy to spell names, but I'd hate to write such an easy name incorrectly.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by missing View Post
    Is it Han Yan or Yan Han? I know the last name should go first, but I'm uncertain which is his last name and which is his first.

I have great fondness for skaters with easy to spell names, but I'd hate to write such an easy name incorrectly.
    Its last name first (Han) , then his first name (Yan)

vCash
    Yan is actually his last name.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by love_skate2011 View Post
    I don't get this reputation saving face at all
    why sacrifice it when you have a good chance of your skaters giving you 2 or even 3 spots for an Olympics
    The Chinese fed would prefer to have more spots for the Olympics. The problem is, however, China has only one spot for Worlds next year, so the question becomes who should be sent.

Elsewhere, this decision would be based on a skater's capability, i.e. results from Nationals would be considered, and perhaps performances at GP as well.

But in China, certain people, motivated by their narrowly defined self-interest, would use their influence behind the scenes to sway the decision. Unfortunately, young talents often get wasted during this ugly process as they would never be afforded the opportunity to shine.

vCash
    China wants the olympic spots anyway. Nan Song is given the chances to prove his worth. If Han Yan competes as a senior, the international judges could dump Song with no remorse. With all paternalistic considerations, if Song doesn't do well at GPS, the Chinese federation may change their minds.

vCash
    I can't understand why ISU doesn't do what the IOC was doing during 2012 Olympics.

Surnames were written in capitals.

So you'd have something like: Patrick CHAN but YAN Han.

It's really disrespectful and colonialist to keep writing Chinese names the way "we" do it.

vCash

get your story straight

Quote Originally Posted by laceup View Post
    Such a waste to not send one of many options for ladies but since Schultz broke up with Steele in July I don't believe there is any other pair team to send.
    I understand that there is LOTS more to this story, than "since Schultz broke up with Steele in July".
    Better get the whole story before you simply post rumors!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingwatcher View Post
    I understand that there is LOTS more to this story, than "since Schultz broke up with Steele in July".
    I mentioned the "hearsay" posts in the Skate Canada High Performance Camp thread and noted that Steele/Schultz are still listed on the National Team (I just saw that you have cross-posted there as well): http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...89#post3676289
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingwatcher View Post
    Well, then enlighten us, please.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    I can't understand why ISU doesn't do what the IOC was doing during 2012 Olympics.

It's really disrespectful and colonialist to keep writing Chinese names the way "we" do it.
    They capitalize in the bios, and they've experiemented in the past with results pages (or maybe those were just mistakes)
    The Junior Grand Prix: Where skaters who "come out of nowhere" come from.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post

Have to disagree with you Ziggy. If it's good enough for the Japanese and Hungarians, it should be the same for the Koreans and Chinese.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Hausch/Wende GER have been crossed off the Rostelecom Cup pairs roster in the Sept. 14 update. (Sui/Han are still listed for CoC & NHK.)
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    As far as non-host substitutes go, the only eligible senior Pairs -- i.e. have met the GP minimum -- for a first or second event are:

20-Vise/Baldwin (CAN)
    34-Zhang/Wang, if they're still together and are healthy
    40-Della Monica/Guarise
    43-Duarte/Grafton
    51-Bakirova/Kamianchuk

If Sui/Han are, indeed, out, I wouldn't be surprised if they were pulled at the last minute. There are already three American pairs at NHK, which would limit the teams who could replace them there.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Hausch/Wende GER have been crossed off the Rostelecom Cup pairs roster in the Sept. 14 update.
    oh no? any news why? injury?
    they seemd to be cursed in the last time...

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Eislauffan posted in the German skating news thread about H/W:
    http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...&postcount=701
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Question on the substitution rules. With medalling at the US Senior B will Aaron, Mahbandozadeh and Miner be put on top of the sustitutes list now?

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    No. Only the winner of a Senior B is put at the bottom of the substitutions list, after Top 75 SB. (That, of course, assumes that they're following what's in the GP Announcement.) Men have to meet the GP minimum of 159.66, which Aaron nearly did in his FS alone.

Mahbanoozadeh is already #41 on the SB list, Miner has two GP's already (CAN, JPN), and Dolensky is #53 SB. Both Mahbanoozadeh and Dolensky are on the substitutes list above winner Aaron.
    Last edited by kwanfan1818; 09-16-2012 at 05:44 AM.

vCash
    I know there has been discussion of this already... but the fact that Silete will withdraw has been confirmed.

Source:
    http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    Quote:
    "It has been just five weeks since two-time French champion Yrétha Silété was severely injured during a practice session. Though she is now ready to leave her rehabilitation center in the Alps, she does not plan to be back on the ice before January at best. "

I wonder why this has not yet been reflected in the ISU rosters?

Page 33 of 51 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast