Page 31 of 51 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast
    Canadian ladies über
    vCash
    Wow I'm very disappointed that Skate Canada isn't using the host picks for ladies and pairs. Desanctis skated reasonably well last year and didn't finish last in either segment.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by icellist View Post
    Except Mirai Nagasu and Joshi Helgesson can't be counted again for COC and Sofia Biryukova can't go to France because there are already 3 russians at TEB.

Also, the TEB slot can still be counted as a host pick. the French fed can still choose any of their skaters (not likely) or invite anyone from any country that made the GP minimum as a host pick, not needing to follow the next group of top 5.
    Well, then Sofia Biryukova could go to COC and Mirai Nagasu or Joshi Helgesson to TEB. (I would prefer Nagasu).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedwig View Post
    Good for Canada for giving a host spot to a foreigner instead of not using it or assigning a Canadian lady without any chances!
    Wouldn't leaving it empty be against the rules this far out?

vCash
    Can't help thinking how strategic CAN fed is...this is the kind of small favors to RUS and FRA, two powerful feds, that need to be returned one way or another.

vCash
    Thank you Skate Canada for giving Shelepen the second assignment!!
    I hope she'll make a strong debut.
    Last edited by ali_dorate; 09-05-2012 at 09:43 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danafan View Post
    Wow I'm very disappointed that Skate Canada isn't using the host picks for ladies and pairs. Desanctis skated reasonably well last year and didn't finish last in either segment.
    Such a waste to not send one of many options for ladies but since Schultz broke up with Steele in July I don't believe there is any other pair team to send.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedwig View Post
    Good for Canada for giving a host spot to a foreigner instead of not using it or assigning a Canadian lady without any chances!
    But how are the Canadian ladies supposed to improve with such limited international opportunities? IMO, either DeSanctis and Charbonneau should have received that spot.

vCash
    Polinas S & K with second assignments
    Martusheva/Rogonov Glad they were picked!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiK View Post
    Random Thoughts:

MEN:
    Surprised reigning bronze medallist Jeremy Ten has been snubbed by SC. Same goes for french Chafik Bessehier As for Russia I would have prefered to spread the wealth and give it to Ivan Bariev. I was hoping for Jiaxing Liu in China , im not familiar with the guy chosen and Im still mad Han Yan is being held back in juniors.

LADIES:
    Yay for both Polinas getting two. LOL at SC realizing their ladies are not worth it. Theres still a host pick for TEB that could probably go to a foreign skater. BTW, Nagasu is being passed again yes but both Polinas were among the next 5 to chose from so its all between the muddy GP Rules.

PAIRS:
    Canadian pairs are not so worthless as the ladies so Im surprised SC prefered to invite a foreign team here.
    Yay for Martiusheva & Rogonov, they should have got it from the start.

DANCE:
    No surprises here. I hope Zahorski & Miart can bounce back from last disastrous season.
    re: Pairs

Canada has four pairs teams on the senior level worth a darn, and all four have spots. The rest either split up, stayed junior, or both (Bobek/Beharry became Jones/Beharry; Jones was a senior in her former partnership, but can skate junior with Beharry and elected to do so).

Don't know who gets Sui/Han's spots when they WD (as we expect right now, right?)

vCash
    When is Nagasu getting her second GP?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    Maybe they'll see how she does at Finlandia?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    Yretha Silete's spots are still to be replaced. But the Feds will probably chose Helgesson and Lacoste cause they're lesser threats

vCash
    Given that Canada gave France one of their pair's slots, I can totally see TEB going for Osmond or LaCoste.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by laceup View Post
    Such a waste to not send one of many options for ladies but since Schultz broke up with Steele in July I don't believe there is any other pair team to send.
    interesting - this has not been made public (as far as i was aware) - any reasons? are either/both of them continuing skating? they had quite a successful season last year.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Theatregirl1122 View Post
    Wouldn't leaving it empty be against the rules this far out?
    Although the rules aren't written anywhere that I can find, there seems to be a deadline by which all Feds are supposed to assign their TBA's. Last year, all the TBA host assignments were done by the end of August except for France (mid-October), and this year they were all done by 5 September. (It's possible France ignored it, like Feds seem to be able to do, or they might have said to the ISU that they wanted to decided based on some test skate or fall comps, but planned to fill the spots.)

Theoretically, all spots are supposed to be filled if the withdrawal is more than 14 days before the competition -- the rules are hazy between 7-14 days -- but as if it's stopped them before from not filling a spot.

Quote Originally Posted by PinkFeathers View Post
    Maybe they'll see how she does at Finlandia?
    Do you mean another Fed would only choose her if she faltered? Otherwise, it shouldn't matter at all for GP assignments.

The skaters/teams with Top 24 SB who haven't split, stayed junior, or withdrawn as of today are:

Ice Dance:
    18-Tobias/Stagniunas (USA)
    20-Chock/Bates (CHN)
    22-Alessandrini/Vaturi (USA)
    23-Slobina/Sitnikov (CAN)

(Next in line are Ralph/Hill [CAN])

Pairs:
    20-Vise/Baldwin (CAN)

(Next in line who've met the GP minimum: Hausch/Wende [RUS], Zhang/Wang [none - split or injured?], Della Monica/Guarise [none], Duarte/Grafton [none], Bakirova/Kaminachuk [none]. Unless another pair meets the GP minimum at one of the five Fall Senior B's -- or maybe one of the early GP's, like an Obsure Chinese Pair replacing Sui/Han at CoC-- that's it for the Pairs substitutes list, with Gerboldt/Enbert's injury withdrawal.)

Men
    3-Plushenko, but he's not participating.

(First five in line are: Hendricks [FRA], Rogozine [JPN], Dmitriev [CHN], Ge [none], Bush [RUS].)

Ladies:

8-Czisny, by known request due to surgery
    11-Nagasu, ???
    15-Biryukova

(Next in line: Gao [USA] -- see below -- Lacoste [CAN] J. Helgesson [CHN], Flatt [USA]. Sixth is Phaneuf, who was bypassed for a SC host pick.)
    Last edited by kwanfan1818; 09-06-2012 at 07:37 AM.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

Spitting Nickels
    vCash
    (Gao already has 2 assignments, USA and TEB; and you've left off Lacoste.)

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by toddlj View Post
    (Gao already has 2 assignments, USA and TEB; and you've left off Lacoste.)
    You're right -- I meant to type Lacoste while staring at Gao's name.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Argh! Why isn't the reigning Junior World Champion moving up to seniors, when China has so many GP spots to give for men they are starting to give them to someone whom nobody knows or hasn't done anything? It really is time to invest in He Zhang and Yan Han and forget about Guan Jinlin. It's the freaking pre-Olympic season! If Song Nan faltered at Worlds again like last year, China will again be left with one guy for Sochi. Even if they pick Yan Han over Song Nan for Worlds this year, he will have practically no senior international experience and will be snubbed by judges and by skate order.

Give Yan Han a freaking chance!!!

In related news, at least Li Zijun finally has her second assignment. I don't know whose brain was at work when they decided to give an assignment to Geng Bingwa before securing a second one for Li Zijun.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Argh! Why isn't the reigning Junior World Champion moving up to seniors, when China has so many GP spots to give for men they are starting to give them to someone whom nobody knows or hasn't done anything? It really is time to invest in He Zhang and Yan Han and forget about Guan Jinlin. It's the freaking pre-Olympic season! If Song Nan faltered at Worlds again like last year, China will again be left with one guy for Sochi. Even if they pick Yan Han over Song Nan for Worlds this year, he will have practically no senior international experience and will be snubbed by judges and by skate order. Give Yan Han a freaking chance!!!
    Agree. I think HanYan has a very chance of being the top five IF he gets better exposure/experience and coaching as early as possible. Oh well..it's probably the pecking order ... wait your time .. seniority counts not talent.

vCash
    (Phaneuf is resting her back, skipping GP's this year.)
    Last edited by seabm7; 09-06-2012 at 10:39 AM.

Page 31 of 51 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast