Page 8 of 51 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by seabm7 View Post
    I think the US federation blocked the request from Joshua. Their reason might be 2 JG assignments is better than 1 SG assignment. Moreover, if the proposed rule change is passed, once you enter into the SG circuit, you cannot go back to JW anymore.
    This is what I'm saying. Shouldn't Josh decide when he wants to move up, instead of the Federation? USFS is selfish if they didn't submit his name just so they can send him to JW again and rely on him to secure maximum JGP spots if Josh told them he wanted to move up. It's what he DECIDED and they should respect that. This means he also probably wants to try and go to senior Worlds but maybe USFS will make sure this doesn't happen but lowballing his PCS again while giving others mega-inflation to make sure he gets JW and that's it...

This will be his 5th season on the JGP and his JW performance showed at the age of 17, he is already one of the best senior men in the US. I mean, Denis Ten beat Abbott at Worlds and Josh creamed him at JW where Denis had performances of similar quality. Wake up and smell the coffee. Rippon is going nowhere without a major overhaul of technique and Ricky needs to prove himself to show he's a contender, just giving him more and more chances likely isn't going to rev him up to do so and show he really is a contender, because now he know it doesn't matter. I have my doubts about Miner ever being World or Olympic medalist material. They are being so dumb honestly, had his name been submitted I wouldn't be surprised to see Josh get 2 assignments and be the highest ranked American behind Abbott after the conclusion of the GP season, honestly.

vCash
    btw, with Miki coming back is she staying with Morozov ?
    It will be interesting if Miki will stick with him and his new star Leonova

Farris, Han and Brown seem like forever in juniors
    same for Shoji and Agafonova

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by love_skate2011 View Post
    btw, with Miki coming back is she staying with Morozov ?
    It will be interesting if Miki will stick with him and his new star Leonova
    after the interview with morozov i cannot imagine miki and him working together again.
    ao it will be very interresting to see, who will be her coach, especially as she seems to be very instable with her nerves.

i wish so bad for her to get an olympic medal, but competition will be tough.

Title-less
    vCash
    Do you think this is strategic or an omission?
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Thank you for correcting it

If USFS submitted his name, he would have gotten at least one.

The rule for the initial selection has been that after all of the skaters guaranteed two get two and all of the skaters guaranteed one get one, the host nations can pick from the Top 75 list for non-host picks.

For the alternates list, last year's rules (v.1) state that all of the skaters in the Top 24 SB and WS guaranteed one who got only one in the initial selection have to get two before anyone in the Top 75 get selected for non-host picks, although there's no obligation to choose them.

They had the JGPF/JW medalist guarantee up until last season.

I'm not sure who is affected here: Lipnitskaia, Shelepen, Korobeynikova, Sotnikova, Gold, and Sinitsina/Zhiganshin all were Top 24 SB and would have been guaranteed one without taking JGPF/JW medals into consideration, with Sui/Han guaranteed two from their Worlds result. All of the rest weren't submitted for senior GP.

Last year, without the medal guarantee, Monko/Khaliavin got two in the initial selection, and neither of them (USA, CHN) were host picks.

This year, of the 12 Ladies who were Top 24, but not Top 12 at Worlds,
    Five got two: Lipnitskaia, Tukhtamysheva, C. Zhang, Gold, Sotnikova (1 host)
    Seven got one: Czisny, Nagasu, Korpi, Biryukova, Korobeynikova, Shelepen, Li.

Gold doesn't have a host pick, and she didn't medal at JGPF, so I don't think the number of spots is tied to the number of JGPF/JW medals.

I thought there might be a pattern where skaters in Top 24 SB and Top 24 WS got two over skaters with one but not the other, except where a skater got a host pick and a second, but I'm not seeing that: Korpi, for example, is ranked 5th in WS and 14th in SB. Nagasu is 13th in WS and 11th in SB. Zhang isn't in Top 24 WS.

On a different note, skaters are tweeting left and right about how thrilled they are with their picks. As expected, no one has yet tweeted "I hate [list event]. My selections sux."

But I thought Alex Shibutani's was worth posting:

Now I know why @rossminer wanted to call it a day at 8:30 last night. He wanted to check GP assignments at 2am.

vCash
    Interesting.

Josh has deleted his tweet about the GPs.

vCash
    ^^^ Yes, I just noticed that this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    The men's 60 GP slots break down by country & number of men per country as follows:
    12 countries, 33 different men + 6 TBA slots

JPN 13 slots / 7 [corrected from 6] different men
    Quote Originally Posted by euterpe View Post
    Additional notes:
    JPN
    8 men: six with two events each (Hanyu, Kozuka, Machida, Mura, Oda, Takahashi); one host pick (Murakami); and a TBA host pick
    I've since corrected my earlier post -- Japan has 7 different men with GP assignments and no TBA at NHK. They've filled their 3 NHK slots with Takahashi, Hanyu and Daisuke Murakami (host pick).

Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    This will be his 5th season on the JGP
    It will be Farris' 4th season (he's competed in 6 JGPs and 2 Finals in 3 seasons).

and his JW performance showed at the age of 17, he is already one of the best senior men in the US. I mean, Denis Ten beat Abbott at Worlds and Josh creamed him at JW where Denis had performances of similar quality.
    Farris had an extremely successful junior international season and skated superbly at 2012 Junior Worlds. Competing at the senior level nationally and internationally is a different ballgame, though, particularly mentally. I'm sorry that he won't get the chance to do the Senior Grand Prix (if that's what he really wanted), but he should have ample opportunities to prove himself and to continue improving his overall skating in the coming season, even if he's back on the JGP.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sadc View Post
    But the #3 man doesn't?
    You're right! J10 doesn't have an assignment either. What's happening at SC?
    Have they decided to overlook 2 seniors and go right to the junior rankings?

Surely both J10 and EB are not injured?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JasperBoy View Post
    I am concerned that Canada's #4 man, Elladj Balde, is not listed for any GP. He could be given the one TBA at Skate Canada but surely he deserves an assignment in light of his placement at Cdn Nats.
    Quote Originally Posted by sadc View Post
    But the #3 man doesn't?
    Quote Originally Posted by JasperBoy View Post
    You're right! J10 doesn't have an assignment either. What's happening at SC?
    Have they decided to overlook 2 seniors and go right to the junior rankings?
    Liam Firus is ranked #40 on the ISU's Season Best scores list and that's probably why Skate Canada picked him for one of their SC host spots.

The Grand Prix minimum score cut-off for the men in 2012-13 is 159.66:
    78 Jeremy Ten 159.22 (2012 Four Continents)
    91 Elladj Baldé 151.57 (2011 Skate Canada)

It shouldn't matter, though, if either man is Skate Canada's TBA host pick, correct? Perhaps both will be sent to the planned U.S. Senior B in Salt Lake City in September or to Nebelhorn Trophy to determine who will get Skate Canada?

From the ISU's bulletin on the 2012-13 Grand Prix: http://www2.isu.org/vsite/vnavsite/p...0.html?id=1066
    The minimum score for the 2012/13 season is 3/5 of the highest score per discipline at the 2012 World Figure Skating Championships, which is 113.43 points for Ladies; 159.66 points for Men; 120.90 points for Pairs and 109.59 for Ice Dance.
    MEN
    1 GP assignment received (listed in order of ISU SB score ranking):
    25 Sergei Voronov RUS
    28 Jorik Hendrickx BEL (#27 in World Standings)
    29 Andrei Rogozine CAN (#33 in WS)
    30 Artur Dmitriev RUS (#37 in WS)
    31 Jinlin Guan CHN (host pick)
    32 Zhan Bush RUS (host pick)
    33 Konstantin Menshov RUS (#21 in WS)
    36 Daisuke Murakami JPN (host pick)
    37 Alexander Majorov SWE (#15 in WS)
    38 Douglas Razzano USA (host pick)
    40 Liam Firus CAN (host pick)

No initial GP assignment (in order of ISU SB score ranking, all JGP age-eligible men removed):
    3 Evgeni Plushenko RUS (Rostelecom Cup's TBA?)
    31 Misha Ge UZB
    41 Armin Mahbanoozadeh USA
    42 Brandon Mroz USA
    43 Peter Liebers GER
    44 Christopher Caluza PHI
    46 Viktor Pfeifer AUT
    47 Jialiang Wu CHN
    48 Chafik Besseghier FRA
    49 Kim Lucine MON
    50 Gordei Gorshkov RUS
    51 Zoltan Kelemen ROU
    53 Timothy Dolensky USA
    56 Paolo Bacchini ITA
    57 Ryuichi Kihara JPN
    59 Jiaxing Liu CHN
    61 Paul Fentz GER
    63 Javier Raya ESP
    65 Maciej Cieplucha POL
    66 Philip Warren USA
    77 Romain Ponsart FRA
    [Cut-off (159.66) is above #78 Jeremy Ten CAN 159.22]

No SB score from 2011-12: Evan Lysacek USA - status still unknown (Skate America TBA?)

LADIES
    1 GP assignment received (listed in order of ISU SB score ranking):
    8 Alissa Czisny USA (reportedly requested just one due to her injury; #4 in World Standings)
    11 Mirai Nagasu USA (#13 in WS)
    14 Kiira Korpi FIN (#5 in WS)
    15 Sofia Biryukova RUS
    17 Polina Korobeynikova RUS
    18 Kexin Zhang CHN (host pick, guaranteed 1)
    19 Polina Shelepen RUS (#23 in WS)
    24 Zijun Li CHN (#20 in WS)
    30 Christina Gao USA (host pick)
    35 Amelie Lacoste CAN (host pick, #21 in WS)
    37 Joshi Helgesson SWE (#17 in WS)
    38 Rachael Flatt USA (host pick)
    41 Kaetlyn Osmond CAn (host pick)
    42 Mae Berenice Meite FRA (#15 in WS)
    47 Bingwa Geng CHN (host pick)
    62 Sarah Hecken GER (#24 in WS)
    69 Lena Marrocco FRA (host pick)

No initial GP assignment (in order of ISU SB score ranking, all JGP age-eligible ladies removed):
    39 Cynthia Phaneuf CAN (#25 in WS)
    44 Elena Glebova EST
    46 Jenna McCorkell GBR
    50 Sonia Lafuente ESP (#27 in WS)
    51 Joelle Forte USA
    53 Natalia Popova UKR (#31 in WS)
    60 Yuki Nishino JPN (#28 in WS)
    63 Min-Jeong Kwak KOR (ISU Junior age-eligible 1 more season)
    65 Isabelle Olsson SWE
    66 Adriana DeSanctis CAN
    68 Kate Charbonneau CAN
    70 Kerstin Frank AUT

[I went down to #75 on the Ladies' SB scores list. Cut-off for the ladies' GP minimum score (113.43) is #98 Isabelle Drescher GER & above.]
    Last edited by Sylvia; 05-22-2012 at 05:40 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by seabm7 View Post
    I think the US federation blocked the request from Joshua. Their reason might be 2 JG assignments is better than 1 SG assignment. Moreover, if the proposed rule change is passed, once you enter into the SG circuit, you cannot go back to JW anymore.
    This.

This is what I'm saying. Shouldn't Josh decide when he wants to move up, instead of the Federation? USFS is selfish if they didn't submit his name just so they can send him to JW again and rely on him to secure maximum JGP spots if Josh told them he wanted to move up. It's what he DECIDED and they should respect that.
    No, Josh should not decide when he wants to move up.

It's not just about him and about what he wants.

USFS should do what's in the best interest of US Figure Skating and not what's in the perceived best interest of an individual skater.

Josh is certainly capable of making the JGPF and then even winning it, so keeping him on the JGP for one more season certainly makes more sense than him having just one GP and then placing in the middle of the pack, most likely.

Title-less
    vCash
    We dont know that Farris would have gotten just one gp. As more drop out he could easily end up with two.

Anyway thetrickle down effect is that novice skaters like Shum or Howe will likely not get a jgp

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    We dont know that Farris would have gotten just one gp. As more drop out he could easily end up with two.
    So then he could finish outside the podium at two GPs and never be able to skate in Junior events again.

I guess USFS thought that him doing JGP for one more season would be a better option.

And I agree with them.

He still has a way to go with developing his PCS, building up reputation with the judges, etc.

vCash
    Then what happens if Josh finishes top two at Nationals? He can't do both JW and Worlds because of the date proximity.

vCash
    He just goes to worlds. The point is for him to still have Jr. Worlds as an option, not that he must be sent.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by euterpe View Post
    Then what happens if Josh finishes top two at Nationals? He can't do both JW and Worlds because of the date proximity.
    If he's top 2 at Nationals then they'd probably send him to Worlds and send Brown, Chen, and probably someone like Choate or Yostanto to JW instead. When Ricky won silver at Nationals after competing on the JGP they sent him to senior Worlds.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Theatregirl1122 View Post
    He just goes to worlds. The point is for him to still have Jr. Worlds as an option, not that he must be sent.
    Yeah, essentially that is how it works.

I have a question though, I know skaters who have competed in senior internationals and no longer allowed to compete at JW, but can a skater who has competed in senior internationals but is still junior age eligible return to the JGP? I'm thinking of skaters like Juulia Turkkilla and Monika Simanckova who have competed at Euros and Worlds, but never on the GP yet, have no GP assignments, and are still young enough to do JGP again. Will they be allowed to compete on JGP this season or no?

vCash
    all i am going to say is this,

for the ladies, the cup of china, teb is going to barnburner with 3 world champs, up and comer junior if people stay the same.

skate canada and rostelcom is really competitive because anyone like alena, adelina, caroline zhang, gracie gold, agnes, kanako , kiira can win it, not to mention victoria and valentina can medal-akiko elizaveta in skate canada and elene and ksenia

skate america with ashley, adelina, rachel, alena, can win it plus christina, haruka possible medals

nhk with mao, akiko, agnes, haruka possible alissa , elene

so competitive if names stay same. stay tuned anyone can win and medal.

the men in some events is just as competitive.

the dance especially for 2nd 3rd so competitive anything can happen.

hopefully not to many name changes in cast.

vCash
    I have a question though, I know skaters who have competed in senior internationals and no longer allowed to compete at JW, but can a skater who has competed in senior internationals but is still junior age eligible return to the JGP? I'm thinking of skaters like Juulia Turkkilla and Monika Simanckova who have competed at Euros and Worlds, but never on the GP yet, have no GP assignments, and are still young enough to do JGP again. Will they be allowed to compete on JGP this season or no?
    I don't see why not.

I'm compiling a list of JGP age-eligible singles skaters from the ISU Season Best scores list and will post it in the JGP Announcement thread in GSD later.

vCash
    ^^

Bloodbath at Trophee Eric Bompard and Cup of China for ladies
    weakest competitions are in Skate America and NHK in ladies

vCash
    Re-posting from the U.S. Men's news thread since it's more relevant here:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    The big difference is that Ando is a World champion who is coming back, but will every senior skater who is just coming back get that benefit of two GP assignments? Weir was no World or Olympic medalist as he left the competitions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    In last year's GP announcement, comeback skaters were defined by the ISU as "Skaters/Couples who were previously seeded (placed 1 to 6 at any previous ISU World Figure Skating Championships) and subsequently did not participate in one or more competitive seasons". Weir has been a seeded skater before, so he can return to the GP circuit as a comeback skater - this year.

To use other examples: if, say, Laura Lepisto were to decide the return to competition one day, she would be able to do two GPs as a comeback skater. If Kevin van der Perren decides he'd like to make a run at Sochi after sitting out the coming season, this provision would apply to him (he was 6th in 2008). The Kerrs and the Zaretskis could be comeback skaters (5th and 6th in 2010).You do not have to be a World Champion or an Olympic (or even World) medalist.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Thanks for getting those links so quickly, Sylvia!
    Yes, great job. Many thanks
    Last edited by Maofan7; 05-23-2012 at 01:48 AM.

Page 8 of 51 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast