Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Canadian ladies Łber
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    How the hell did Nazarova/Nikitin manage to get a GP assigment?
    Their score from the Youth Olympics was 24th on the season best list - doesn't this guarantee a spot?

http://www.isuresults.com/isujsstat/...12/sbtsdto.htm

vCash
    With the GP being announced so early again this season, there'll be plenty of changes later on, I think. So some people might drop out and others get a second assignment.

vCash
    What did Dornbush do to merit 2 assignments?

vCash
    And why no Armin?

vCash
    Why is USFS wasting a spot on Rachael Flatt?

I mean you never know, Flatt might turn her career around but I just don't understand rewarding her for her last two seasons.

I'd have left that spot TBA and yeah maybe would give it to Flatt but ONLY if she showed good form during the Summer events.

It is indeed surprising that Paul/Islam got totally dumped. Maybe Gilles/Poirier have been monitored and really improved a lot already?

Some federations are smart playing a waiting game, leaving a spot TBA even though it's clear which skater of theirs should get this spot.

But if they can give that skater a second spot via replacement system, then they can have an extra spot for somebody else.

Quote Originally Posted by danafan View Post
    Their score from the Youth Olympics was 24th on the season best list - doesn't this guarantee a spot?

http://www.isuresults.com/isujsstat/...12/sbtsdto.htm
    Thanks, that would explain it.

Quote Originally Posted by morqet View Post
    20th in World Standings, I guess. But he was only 27th on the Season's Best scores so...

Quote Originally Posted by sus2850 View Post
    And why no Armin?
    Why would he get one?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ChelleC View Post
    There's the TBA for Skate America, could possibly end up being him.

Or there's the All Star Season of DWTS, he could end up on that.
    oh, thanks. Both scenarios sound great!

vCash
    Amending kwanfan1818's earlier post:

US Ladies (12 slots, 8 skaters):
    Two: Wagner (USA/France), Gold and Zhang (Canada/Russia), Zawadzki (Russia/Japan)
    One: Nagasu (China), Czisny (Japan), Gao and Flatt (USA)

US Men (12 slots, 6 skaters for now):
    Two: Abbott (USA/France), Miner (Canada/Japan), Rippon (China/Japan), Dornbush (Russia/Japan), Weir (Russia/France)
    One: Razzano (USA), TBA at Skate America

US Pairs (10 slots, 7 teams for now):
    Two: Denney/Coughlin (USA/Russia), Marley/Brubaker (Canada/Japan)
    One: Donlan/Speroff (USA), Castelli/Shnapir (Japan), Vise/Baldwin (Canada), Yankowskas/Reagan (China), Davis/Ladwig (Japan), TBA at Skate America

US Dance (9 slots, 5 teams for now):
    Two: Davis/White (USA/Japan), Hubbell/Donohue (Canada, France), Shibutani/Shibutani (Russia/Japan)
    One: Kriengkrairut/Giulietti-Schmitt (USA), Chock/Bates (China), TBA at Skate America
    Last edited by Sylvia; 05-21-2012 at 05:07 PM. Reason: to edit in a few corrections
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Haribobo, I think Samantha Cesario has aged out of Juniors now.

Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    shocking entries really

No Farris, Brown, OR Yan in the men . Guess they want to go to JW again?
    Going to JGP has nothing to do with going or not going to Senior Worlds.

They can do both.

Chinese Fed is usually really slow about giving their skaters opportunities and wants them to prove themselves many times over first.

As for Farris and Brown, maybe they weren't guaranteed two GP spots and thought it would make more sense to make the JGP final?

Why is Zijun Li not assigned to COC? Only 1 assignment as of now...
    Because she might get the second spot as a replacement, leaving the TBA CoC spot free for another skater.

Shelepen and Korobeynikova only get 1 assignment (Biryukova as well but I expected that for her)
    TBA RC spot is still available. I would imagine it's going to go to one of them (but again, if they can get a replacement spot first, it will leave it free for somebody else).

Quote Originally Posted by PinkFeathers View Post
    I do wonder what happened with Evan tho. Did he not sign the new agreement? Did he just get a royal snub? Inquiring minds wanna know
    Ockham's Razor.

He's probably not making a comeback.

Quote Originally Posted by victoriaheidi View Post
    Dear USFS,

I'm going to be blunt and say that it was potentially very stupid of you to assign all 3 of your ladies spots before summer monitoring.

Sincerely,

I actually like Rachael Flatt...but that doesn't mean I want to see her have a splatfest
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    Good to know Johnny is indeed returning to skate - it is no hot air.
    Yeah because it's never happened in the past that the assignments were packed full of skaters who didn't end up competing in the end.

vCash
    Why is USFS wasting a spot on Rachael Flatt?
    6th at Nationals and an American "fan favorite", that's why. The majority of this board may not like her, but she is popular amongst American skating audiences. It's not like we have a lot of other ladies to consider. Flatt got top 6 at Nationals without being in ideal condition... We're just not that deep in this discipline.

Hahahaha at American pairs getting more slots than ice dance. This is a reflection of how thin the world of pairs has become, and how deep the ice dance field is.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by casken View Post
    Shouldn't the TBA spot for Dance at SA just go to Chock/Bates? Seems like a no brainer.
    I wonder if USFSA is waiting to see about Olsen & Hubbell?

I'm not surprised Skate Canada is going all in on Gilles & Poirier! But I'm sad for Paul & Islam, I'd really like to see them.

The limited number of spots is really unpleasant.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by morqet View Post
    He's mad lucky Yan, Farris, and Brown all decided to stay junior another season because they all had 1 event guaranteed each and probably had a good shot at 2 so that opened up a bunch of places.

vCash
    No, she turns 19 after July 1 of this year. haribobo, Galyeta/Shumski (UKR) have split in dance.

Armin Mahbanoozadeh was 4th at US Nationals to Douglas Razzano's 5th, but Razzano's ISU SB total score ranked slightly higher at #38 to Mahbanoozadeh's at #41.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash

Going to JGP has nothing to do with going or not going to Senior Worlds.

They can do both.

Chinese Fed is usually really slow about giving their skaters opportunities and wants them to prove themselves many times over first.

As for Farris and Brown, maybe they weren't guaranteed two GP spots and thought it would make more sense to make the JGP final?
    Yan, Farris, Brown all had 1 GP guaranteed each but probably had a good chance at getting 2 considering some of the other skaters assigned...

Anyways, my guess is their decision had more to do with giving them more options post nationals. If they moved up to senior GP, they couldn't go to JW again based on new rules, but this way, they can be assigned to JW, 4CC and/or senior Worlds after nationals so they have more options. For example, Ricky competed on the JGP in 10-11 then went on to senior Worlds after competing senior at Nationals, so in his case, doing JGP didn't hurt him. So I understand that, but they are ready for senior GP so why not just move up and aim for 4CC and Worlds and not worry about having JW as a fallback?

Also Cesario is born in August of 1993 so she still has one more season of JGP age-eligibility because she misses the cutoff.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by casken View Post
    Shouldn't the TBA spot for Dance at SA just go to Chock/Bates? Seems like a no brainer.
    Chock/Bates are 20th for season's best scores last season (42nd World Standings / 24th World Seasons Standings), so perhaps they are holding out to see if Chock/Bates can earn a second assignment elsewhere from the substitutes list once we get closer to the start of the season.

If that's their plan, then it gets interesting to consider who that TBA could be. Samuelson/Gilles? Aldridge/Eaton? Cannuscio/McManus? McNamara/Carptenter? A new team? (Everyone else scoring 120+ at nationals has split).

I wonder where Aldridge/Eaton factor into the GP, as they're 16th on the Season's Best list and 23rd on World Standings / 19th World Seasons Ranking. Would they remain Junior GP?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochelle View Post
    I wonder where Aldridge/Eaton factor into the GP, as they're 16th on the Season's Best list and 23rd on World Standings / 19th World Seasons Ranking. Would they remain Junior GP?
    Yes, Aldridge/Eaton are returning to the JGP.

ETA: McNamara/Carpenter were 3rd in Junior Dance at US Nationals and she is now old enough (turned 13 in February) for the JGP.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 05-21-2012 at 03:21 PM.

vCash
    It's all about Johnny... (I like that they focus on him)
    http://www.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

vCash
    Really puzzled at why Flatt got even one and why they didn't hold back a slot until seeing summer competitions and finding out who has the current skills.

And really, really puzzled that Armin got dumped, and that the massively underwhelming Ricky got gifted with two assignments. (Or is there some injury to Armin?)

I'd guess that Denney/Frazier will skate senior at qualifying comps and Nationals, but looks like they're out on the JGP this season, unless they get the TBA at Skate America? I'd rather see them get some GP experience since I think it is entirely possible that they end up on the Worlds team given some of the other teams. Love Castelli/Shnapir, but I don't see them moving ahead until he figures out how to land SBS jumps, and D/F has already got that figured out.

Puzzled at Farris not going GP; he's got a 3 axel, and has already medaled at JW. Perhaps he decided that 2 JGP + probable JGPF was a lot better than 1 GP.

Brown makes sense -- he didn't medal at JW, needs to compete with a 3 axel as often as possible, and a likely 2 JGP + probably JGPF gives him plenty of competitive outings. Can he do a Senior B under the new rules?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    US Pairs (10 slots, 7 teams for now):
    Two: Denney/Coughlin (USA/Russia), Marley/Brubaker (Canada/Japan)
    One: Donlan/Speroff (USA), Castelli/Shnapir (Japan), Vise/Baldwin (Canada), Yankowskas/Reagan (USA), Davis/Ladwig (Japan), TBA at Skate America
    Quick correction: Yankowskas/Reagan have China, not USA.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Proustable View Post
    Quick correction: Yankowskas/Reagan have China, not USA.
    I knew that! (ETA: That was kwanfan1818's original error, not mine. ) I've edited the correction into my above post.

Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    And really, really puzzled that Armin got dumped, and that the massively underwhelming Ricky got gifted with two assignments. (Or is there some injury to Armin?)
    See my post #52 above. Armin recently posted a video on youtube of himself landing a quad toe in practice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjY4zaWW244

I'd guess that Denney/Frazier will skate senior at qualifying comps and Nationals, but looks like they're out on the JGP this season, unless they get the TBA at Skate America? I'd rather see them get some GP experience since I think it is entirely possible that they end up on the Worlds team given some of the other teams. Love Castelli/Shnapir, but I don't see them moving ahead until he figures out how to land SBS jumps, and D/F has already got that figured out.
    Denney/Frazier haven't attempted a sbs triple in competition yet, so let's wait and see. I think they will benefit by returning to the JGP and aiming to improve on their results from last year, qualify for the JGP Final, etc.

Brown makes sense -- he didn't medal at JW, needs to compete with a 3 axel as often as possible, and a likely 2 JGP + probably JGPF gives him plenty of competitive outings. Can he do a Senior B under the new rules?
    Yes, but there are quite a lot of U.S. men who are candidates for a Senior B that don't have any other assignment prospects, so I hope they are considered first.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 05-21-2012 at 03:38 PM.

I'm not going to get into specifics, but it's certainly frozen over.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post

He got the Bronze medal at Junior Worlds.

Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast