Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    Very sad news...First Donna Summer, and now Robin Gibb - their hits, of which there are almost too many to count, had a tremendous impact on the music of the 1970s (aside from Rock). The BeeGees are pretty much the iconic symbol of Disco, and not only for those of us who were around during that decade. Ask any of today's youth to name a group from the Disco era, and their response will almost always be "The BeeGees." Their legacy will live on from generation to generation.

I stated in my post in the Donna Summer thread that her songs are a large part of the soundtrack of my pre-adolescent years, and the same can be said about Maurice, Barry, and Robin Gibb. It seemed like the entire population either owned a copy of the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack or listened to them on the radio (as their songs were in constant rotation on just about every station). No one wasn't aware of who they were (whether they liked them or not, though most people fell into the "like" category).

The BeeGees were artists whose music wasn't limited to one group of people. In the mid and late 70s, most everyone listened to them -- young, old, black, white, rich, poor, students (elementary, junior and senior high, college, vocational/tech school), working adults from every category imaginable - blue-collar workers (factory workers, construction workers of all types, and the many other manual/physical jobs), managers, secretaries, white-collar office dwellers, corner-office executives, artists of all types (both struggling and successful), people in the fashion and beauty industry (designers, stylists, beauticians, cosmeticians, photographers, editors, writers, and so on and so forth), basically you name it.

To sum it up, the BeeGees were of that rare breed of musicians whose music transcended all walks of life and created a common ground that united people as well as getting all of them on the dance floor, packed in like sardines. They made not just Saturday nights, but also Friday nights, a joyous party and a celebration. This is what I will remember about The BeeGees.....well, that, and the memories of those first boy-girl parties in 5th/6th grade when we were all plagued by the awkwardness of budding hormones , and how we were all trying to be "cool" while struggling with the torture of the puberty monster, with the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack blaring on the stereo in the background as we tried to figure out how to dance with the opposite sex without looking like a total dork .

RIP, Robin. You and Maurice (and Barry of course) will never be forgotten. We may be mourning your Spirits Having Flown, but there will never be Too Much Heaven for y'all.
    Last edited by Cyn; 05-21-2012 at 06:05 PM.
    "Meryl is from a magic planet where Disney princesses come from, and [Charlie's] hair is a magic carpet." ~~ Stephen Colbert, on The Colbert Report

vCash
    What Cyn said.

This has been a devasting year for pop music fans, so many great artists passing on. My first boy/girl party featured Bee Gee music. I still listen to their music, it brings back so many memories. R.I.P. Robin, another star has set...

vCash
    Oh man, I loved The Bee Gees. Robin had an incredibly unique voice. I once saw it referred to as a "heartrending vocal quaver."

RIP Robin.

Watch me move
    vCash
    Robin also did some really good solo stuff - I think "Boys Do Fall in Love" was a hit in some parts of the world. It's a great song.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    Such sad news. What a terrible week for losses in pop music. RIP, Robin.

Thunder & Lightning!!!
    vCash
    RIP Robin.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the family who has seen so much loss.

Also to all his friends & fans.

His voice will be missed.
    Peace & Love, Gypsy
    Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright.

Cruder than you thought
    vCash
    I was really hoping his upturn a few weeks ago would hold, and hope he was comfortable and at peace for his final days. I'm so sad to hear this, it's been such a sad road for this family.

It really has been a tough time lately for the music industry.
    Disclaimer: The post contained herein represents the opinions of a fan and may or may not bear any relation to reality.

vCash
    Cyn, your tribute said so much.

My heart aches at the news.
    How lonely Barry must be.

The Bee Gees were artists of real substance; much more than just "Pop Icons".
    RIP, Robin

vCash
    My mom is inconsolably upset. She was upset when Maurice died, but is much more upset now.

This performance of 'Juliet' is her all-time favorite Bee Gees performance. She had the tape and I remember as a child her rewinding and playing 'Juliet' over and over again. She texted me last night that Robin had just died and he'll never sing Juliet again.

Barry was always favorite. She's been saying she's going to marry him one day for my entire life and probably since High School. I don't know how she'll be when there are no more Bee Gees left

When I was really young I knew all the words to more Bee Gees songs than probably any other songs combined. They were the first group that I really sang to and enjoyed singing along with cause Barry and I had the same range .

vCash
    Another of my favorite songs:

Bee Gees - Words
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHLMG...eature=related

vCash
    I guess Barry Gibb said to the Grim Reaper, "You win again."

vCash
    Heckles, you are not funny.

vCash
    Oh yeah? I have every Bee Gees album ever made. How deep is your love?

vCash
    Robin Gibb was laid to rest today in his home town of Thame in Oxfordshire:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-18356373

I hope he was looking down with his twin to see all the love that was so evident in the crowds and mourners.

vCash
    Sorry to hear this. RIP Robin.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123