Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    I've been going to ANs since 1998, and there have been several things I've missed over the years. Just depends on who you hang with. I never knew about "Wendy Bears" for the longest time, but I'm not into tossies. Didn't know about the bingo cards until this year. Didnt know about the "cookie man" for a few years either. Bt I have a huge circle of friends and love to go every year.

And I always love my annual snack tossie from sk8r1964
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manleywoman View Post
    And I always love my annual snack tossie from sk8r1964

One year at Wyandotte I got the idea to toss airline bottles of schnapps, like some folks do at AN. Except that I didn't wrap them in bubble wrap and they shattered when they hit the ice. Oops - had no idea that plastic would do that. Thankfully I had them in plastic bags so they didn't spill on the ice.

At the first Chicago AN, someone threw the skater in front of me a bag of Jelly Bellies - the bag broke. Jelly beans everywhere. She and I and the sweepers were on our hands and knees searching for the darn things. It did take away my nerves, though!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Everyone is making fun of themselves. If anyone is good at laughing at adult skaters, it's the skaters themselves.
    Exactly. It honestly is all in fun, and no one is sitting there saying, "God, I hope she bombs her camel so I can have a chance to win a bottle of champagne." Everyone is supportive and wants everyone else to do well, but we all make fun of ourselves anyway. We know that after the competition we will be going back to our real lives that usually include jobs, kids, etc. No one is offering us a contract to tour with SOI. We know that Phantom and Pirates have been used millions of times. We know that it's hard to find illusion fabric that match actual skin tones. We know that we're not perfect. I think it's good that we can have a sense of humor about it.

vCash
    We did those at Sectionals this past year. We call ourselves "Bay Skaters" because we are from the SF bay area. I've done the competition camel before, i do know what it's like and we just laugh it off. It's not the end the world. I like the sleeping judge one. This past weekend I saw tons of skaters who's nude part in their dress did not match!
    Last edited by Iluvid; 09-22-2012 at 04:57 AM. Reason: Rearranged wording

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8er1964 View Post

One year at Wyandotte I got the idea to toss airline bottles of schnapps, like some folks do at AN. Except that I didn't wrap them in bubble wrap and they shattered when they hit the ice. Oops - had no idea that plastic would do that. Thankfully I had them in plastic bags so they didn't spill on the ice.

At the first Chicago AN, someone threw the skater in front of me a bag of Jelly Bellies - the bag broke. Jelly beans everywhere. She and I and the sweepers were on our hands and knees searching for the darn things. It did take away my nerves, though!
    .and that's what makes adult competitions so interesting ( and fun too!),

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bev Johnston View Post
    Exactly. It honestly is all in fun, and no one is sitting there saying, "God, I hope she bombs her camel so I can have a chance to win a bottle of champagne." Everyone is supportive and wants everyone else to do well, but we all make fun of ourselves anyway. We know that after the competition we will be going back to our real lives that usually include jobs, kids, etc. No one is offering us a contract to tour with SOI. We know that Phantom and Pirates have been used millions of times. We know that it's hard to find illusion fabric that match actual skin tones. We know that we're not perfect. I think it's good that we can have a sense of humor about it.
    Well said Bev!

vCash
    I was just watching an old tape of the early 80's World Pros. Some of the former champions had not skated a competition program on an Olympic sized rink in a few years (some had only been coaching) - there was more than one "competition camel".

My first skating program was to "Summertime". I read on one skating website that it is the most often used piece of skating music of all time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    My first skating program was to "Summertime". I read on one skating website that it is the most often used piece of skating music of all time.
    Really? More than anything from "Carmen"?

BTW, I think "Summertime" is an excellent choice. I love it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TangoGirl View Post
    Well said Bev!
    Thanks!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bev Johnston View Post
    Really? More than anything from "Carmen"?

BTW, I think "Summertime" is an excellent choice. I love it.
    Summertime is/was probably used more often as a pro/exhibition number than Carmen, as it has vocals. I haven't done a survey myself, but most skaters seem to have skated to it at some time in their career. However, it is very lyrical and today's skaters have to rush around so much, it may no longer
    be used as much.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12