vCash

2012-13 Schedule for International Figure & Synchronized Skating Competitions

ISU just announced the schedule for the international competitions for 2012-13.

ISU Communications No.1727
    http://isu.sportcentric.net/db//files/serve.php?id=3498

My question is what is Medal Winners Open on October 5, 2012?
    (How is it related to Japan Open on October 6?)

Japan Open will be held on the same weekend as Ondrej Nepela
    and Finlandia. It will be a busy weekend.
    Last edited by YukiNieve; 05-15-2012 at 06:11 PM.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Good to to see the new U.S. Senior B, September 13–16, in Salt Lake City, Utah listed!
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    My twitter friend told me that Medal Winners Open could be an open competition for both professional and armature skaters
    that she heard about in a seminar. It invites Worlds and Olympic Games medalists from the past. Not sure.

I also heard about such a competition a long time ago...
    So will it be actually happening?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YukiNieve View Post
    My twitter friend told me that Medal Winners Open could be an open competition for both professional and armature skaters
    that she heard about in a seminar. It invites Worlds and Olympic Games medalists from the past. Not sure.

I also heard about such a competition a long time ago...
    So will it be actually happening?
    That reminds me of a pro-am competition, which was discussed here:
    http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=79110

However its site says it will debut in 2013 spring, so perhaps it is different?
    http://www.icechampionship.com/

vCash
    From what I heard, this competition is an interpretive free skate type of thing, where the limit of jumps is something like 3. Remember back to the 1999-2002 Olympic cycle, these competitions were happening nearly every week (Grand Slam, Masters, Canadian Open, even the old Japan Open, etc.) I don't know if there are two portions to the competition or just this one interpretive free skate.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Good to to see the new U.S. Senior B, September 13–16, in Salt Lake City, Utah listed!
    Please remind me how Senior B assignments work for the host country. (I haven't paid much attention in recent years, since we haven't had hosted one recently in the US).

Are we capped on how many USA competitors can compete at the Senior B "U.S. Senior International" competition in September in SLC? If yes, is the max 3 entries per discipline?

If we aren't limited on how many USA competitors can compete at "U.S. Senior International"... are the USA entries determined solely by US Figure Skating?

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Rochelle, I've bumped up the Senior B/Salt Lake comp. thread and replied to you there: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...77#post3570477
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Great - thank you! I tried a search and it failed to find the thread for me.

vCash
    Now to decide between attending the Senior B in Salt Lake City or Skate America in Kent, WA. No way to do both since I plan to attend Nationals in January.

vCash
    Excited about Medal Winners Open! Maybe we can see Lambiel or Buttle compete again? They anyway don't come back like many others.

vCash
    Has anyone noticed that Junior Worlds and Senior Worlds are just one week apart? It looks like the ISU Junior/Senior decision has been made. It would be very difficult for a skater to do Junior Worlds in Milan (perhaps have to qualify) get on a plane to Canada, possibly have to qualify and compete just 7 days later.

vCash

Some details of Medal Winners Open are announced

According to an article in Japanese newspaper,

The Japan Skating Federation had an executive meeting and decided to hold an ISU-sanctioned "Medal Winners Open." That is:

- 5 ladies and men, both professional & amateur skaters, who earned Olympic or World Championship medals
    - Only free programs
    - ISU judges will score the performance mainly in terms of presentation. Jumps will not be judged.
    - Competitors can use show lighting and music with vocals for their programs.

http://sp.mainichi.jp/m/news.html?ci...000m050001000c
    Last edited by YukiNieve; 05-23-2012 at 07:13 PM.

vCash
    I'm ok with this approach, especially if the US can see it on television and/or through the internet... I'll be more enthusiastic once we see the line up!

Anything has to be better than the Disson skaters-and-a-bunch-of-washed-up-bands-with-far-too-many-cheesy-sponsor-and-Pandora-plug "shows" that we've been watching our pros on lately.