Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
...Some business profs with real-world experience take a big salary hit in going into academia, but the (relative) stability and security, plus the chance to do something interest and less stressful, is worth it to them.

But adjuncts in business schools do not always get paid a premium over what adjuncts in other disciplines get paid. More than some get paid exactly the same as every other adjunct, but they do the work to build up their resumes/experience, or to give back to the development of their profession.
This was exactly my issue - I'd considered being a professor of business, but the opportunity costs are simply too high. Even in business, where the salaries are often higher than those in, say, the liberal arts, they *still* can't afford me.

I do adjunct, not for the money, but because I enjoy it. I do get paid a premium over certain other adjuncts, for teaching in the business school. I also used to teach in tech at another school, and got a premium there as well. I'd been told the premium was to entice people in the field to teach, as there's more demand for adjuncts in certain of these fields then there are people with the skills who are willing to teach.

My husband actually adjuncts with only a bachelors degree, because so few people have the skills required to teach the class he teaches. And yet we know tons of liberal arts PhDs who can't even get adjunct teaching jobs. It's about the demand, or lack thereof, and the available supply of qualified people.