Thread: Bitey Cat

vCash

Bitey Cat

Does anyone else's cat bite their hand as a sign of affection?

Mine will sit on my lap, do the smooching the fingers, then if I have my hand or arm exposed he does this very gentle bitey thing. He won't do it to fingers, just the hand or the arm.

On the other hand his first response if he is being aggressive is to be bitey as well.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Zamboni Zombie
    vCash
    My cat used to bite my ankles sometimes when I was walking away from him. It seemed like he was trying to play hunt and stalk me. He wouldn't do it if I would back away from him while facing him.
    Cigarettes are like squirrels. They are perfectly harmless until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire. -- @ciggybuttz on Twitter

vCash
    My friend's cat suddenly started biting her and her husband. It was surprising because he's such a sweet cat. They think there were two reasons for the change. One was that they hadn't been home as much as they usually were and they think the cat was kind of annoyed with them. The other thing is that he had a moving mouse toy that had broken and they hadn't gotten around to replacing it. He used to play with it a lot and that was where he got his chasing and aggression out. When they replaced the toy, the biting all but stopped. You can try getting his chasing and aggression out with play.

vCash
    I had a cat that would attack limbs when she got too contented. She was a lap cat who would snuggle in, purr like crazy, but inevitably if you watched closely you would notice that her ears were going back and if you saw her eyes you would see they would begin to go entirely black, then a sudden all-out attack would be launched on any exposed limbs. Fortunately she only went after bare skin so it was usually fairly easy to thwart her if you were paying attention. Only once ever tried to go after my head/face. But I have to say if you missed the signs she could do a lot of damage - she was totally wild and dead serious about it. My other previous cat and my present cat only ever did any biting if they got a bit carried away while playing and would cease instantly when I let out an "ouch". Very strange but the viciously biting cat was the easiest one to train out of clawing furniture. For some reason I just can't seem to break my current cat of that bad habit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allskate View Post
    My friend's cat suddenly started biting her and her husband. It was surprising because he's such a sweet cat. They think there were two reasons for the change. One was that they hadn't been home as much as they usually were and they think the cat was kind of annoyed with them. The other thing is that he had a moving mouse toy that had broken and they hadn't gotten around to replacing it. He used to play with it a lot and that was where he got his chasing and aggression out. When they replaced the toy, the biting all but stopped. You can try getting his chasing and aggression out with play.
    Interesting that you say that. I had a couple of weekends where I had been away and the last one I was away about 5 days. He totally ignored the pet minder that came in to feed him. But has been really aggressively affectionate. It is almost like he is over excited. But I do recognise the signs when you can see he is going too far (eg the big eyes and ears back). Otherwise like you said about your friends cat, very sweet and affectionate.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    My used to bite me all the time. We would be on the couch watching TV, him all sprawled out sleepin' and getting a nice tummy rub then ..... ATTACK CAT!! He would grab my hand and sink his little claws into my hand and arm and be bitey all over my hand. He was just playin', but boy dem claws and teeths was sharp!!

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    My cat will nibble me sometimes when I'm petting him. It's not a full-blown attack - I would immediately throw him off me and go "OW!" if he did (I don't tolerate such things), but he'll just be sitting and purring, then lick your hand and then nibble. And then when you take your hand away, he'll move to swipe it. So he's probably in a playful kind of mood.

I've gotten so used to his behavior that I haven't gotten nibbled in a long time, actually. His head will suddenly move toward the petting hand, I immediately take it away, and then it's like, "Haha, you missed!"

vCash
    Neither of my two present cats do that, but my first cat would sometimes nip at me after she'd been sitting on my lap for awhile. Not hard, but I would feel her teeth on my skin. I trained her out of that habit. Every time she would do that, I would tell her no and push her off my lap. After a while, she quit doing it.

vCash
    This is one of the reasons I have persians - they are so easygoing and never bite or scratch us. Even when they're play-fighting with each other, they're super gentle about it. They're like little prozac kitties!

vCash
    My cat used to bite us a lot when we first got him from the shelter at eight years old. I've noticed that over the years his biting has really declined and he really only bites in two situations. One is if we are petting him and he decides that he's tired of being petting. He will grab my hand with his front paws and give a reprimanding chomp. The other is if he wants something - attention, food, etc. He bites my ankles in the morning if his food bowl is empty.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    I think it's often playful, and goes with licking, so if it doesn't hurt, then I wouldn't be troubled.

I've found that some cats will also tell you when they had enough snuggling, brushing or playing by biting, so I just stop and let them have their space.

vCash
    I'm glad my dogs aren't bitey - that would really hurt!
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...