Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    I can't imagine anyone not liking Donna Summer's music. Such universal appeal.
    Donna received grammy nominations in the pop, rock, R & B, inspirational and dance categories. She won in four of those categories (but not for any pop recording). She also had eleven songs hit the top 40 on the Adult Contempory (easy listening) charts and wrote "Starting Over Again" which Dolly Parton took to #1 on the country charts in 1980 (Reba McEntire took the same song to #19 in 1996). I also found an intersting Summer cover: Emmylou Harris - On The Radio.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    She did a terrific, soaring, version of "O Holy Night" on her Christmas album.

vCash
    Last Dance
    She Works Hard For The Money
    Hot Stuff

Disco Fan Here!

vCash
    I don't know if people realize it, but she was pretty revolutionary:

Long before Madonna came along, she was orgasm-ing her way thru a dance no. called 'Love to Love you Baby' in 1975

'I Feel Love' was a marriage of the Disco Diva voice with heavy electronic rhythms in 1977, long before electronic music became mainstream in the 1980s.

Her duet with Barbra Streisand 'Enough is Enough' in 1979 was an incredible pairing of dueling voices, long before duets among 2 famous women were popular.

ETA - Keep thinking of things . I seem to remember she was before her time in the concept of a choreographed dancing troupe in her video for 'She works hard for the Money', long before Janet Jackson, Madonna, J Lo (not sure about MJ, though)

----

Someone up-thread mentioned 'This Time I Know it's for Real'. I recall this song with great love. I was just coming out of the closet with much trepidation in 1989 and can remember discovering the gay club scene in Germany at the time, dancing the night away to this number (among others), and it happened to be one of my BF's favorite no's.
    Last edited by olympic; 05-19-2012 at 12:20 AM.

vCash
    Love to Love You Baby is my fave. Very sexy. RIP Ms. Summer

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    Love to Love You Baby IS sexy! And I happened to have been born so that disco arrived right on time with my divorce. Making me out there on the dance floor wild and free! Somewhere there is a photo of me dancing with my brother-who was the perfect height for being a serious disco dancing partner for me-and I am wearing a magenta sequin tube top and tiny black chiffon skirt, black hose and very high heels. Yes-those were the days....

vCash
    I feel love.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12